Seven Dragon Saga - Prototype Proceeds

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Over at TSI Games work on the combat prototype is coming along.

The art team continues to move ahead. We have a white box version of our first environment in the prototype, and people are having fun using leap to bounce up to the tops of the lower towers. From there, they get the height advantage to shoot the Slyth and dark wizards patrolling below. We have the hooks in for dynamic lighting, but haven't started experimenting with setting different times of day.

Lee also passed on the current user interface pieces to Sebastian, and he's starting to overlay them onto the screen. So the blocky programmer art buttons dotting the screen should be gone, and we'll move a step closer to having the prototype look and feel more like the combat portion of Seven Dragon Saga.

Edwin and David are exploring the different ways players can complete the game. Noisy discussions on whether to have an ‘evil' ending, where the party switches sides, and wins one for the Dark Gods. On the one hand, it provides for more freedom of play. On the other hand, it's not heroic, and we're not quite sure how triumpful players would feel. If any of you would like to chime in on this, feel free to post comments on one of our social media pages.

Paul is taking another pass at the Borderlands concept, where the party can seize control of regions of the strategic map, and give them to factions they want to strengthen. The player can then convert them to Settled Lands by pacifying the area. This unlocks merchants who sell unique items, and safe resting areas. Still a lot of work to keep this mechanic fresh, and providing the proper level of reward.

- David Shelley, Lead Designer, Seven Dragon Saga

More information.

I really hope they can get a better campaign together. I'd like to see this one succeed.

alternative endings are good, a bit troubling that they don't know how to make it work :D

I was there for the first time around, and I'll be there for the next. Please make me open my wallet! (except I don't like the Borderlands references, as that game looked like it was aimed at non-intelligent monkies)

Why even have "good" or "evil" endings? Let the player decide the philosophical nature of the outcome.

Why even have "good" or "evil" endings? Let the player decide the philosophical nature of the outcome.

The notion of pure good vs pure evil is hard to swallow and makes for a bland story. In the real world, no one is perfect... there's a lot of issues with no clear cut right or wrong answer. I'd like a fantasy world that is as complex as the real world in that regard.

I always find the "evil" path in RPGs that give you the option to be really hard to play... Partly because I love going around being the hero but also because the evil path usually seems like an afterthought. Basically you run around killing "the good guys" / your former allies with little or no motivation. Or worse, you end up doing the exact same thing the heros would do, but ostensibly just for money. It's boring. Would be far more interesting if there were some factions who didn't think the good guys were good at all, but tyrants who need to be overthrown.

I have a hard time understanding kickstarter, or the games people are willing to fund. This game seems like a no-brainer to fund, but when I first heard about Guido Heimlich's (or however it is really spelt) kickstarter I thought that would make bazillions. I just can't figure it out. Why would anyone not want either of these games that look like pure masterpieces?

I have a hard time understanding kickstarter, or the games people are willing to fund. This game seems like a no-brainer to fund, but when I first heard about Guido Heimlich's (or however it is really spelt) kickstarter I thought that would make bazillions. I just can't figure it out. Why would anyone not want either of these games that look like pure masterpieces?

There were a number of issues with the SDS KS pitch, including the poor, at times even incomprehensible writing in their updates. If they can't do a proper job of presenting their ideas to their target audience, how are they going to put together a decent game? Anyway, that's why I held back.

Back
Top Bottom