PoE: The White March - Reviews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here are two more reviews for The White March, Part 1.

Freedom CGC

The way that the new content is implemented makes me feel that it is best experienced if you are playing the entire game from the beginning. That way, you will experience it organically as part of the overall adventure. Returning players who have already finished the main game effectively have to travel back in time and pretend that the end didn’t happen yet and that they’re back somewhere in the middle of the story. It’s slightly jarring and comes off as a bit clumsy. The White March provides a solid amount of content, especially considering that the second and final part is on its way.
Kill Screen

Apart from that short burst of invention, there isn’t much reason to drag yourself through The White March. It tunes up the game’s AI and stealth systems, but those changes were also applied to the base game in patch 2.0. If you have a late-game party, it adds jobs you don’t want for money you don’t need, and its few useful items are nearly drowned in a flood of identical low-grade loot that flows directly into your party’s infinite stash-box to be forgotten. It’s an elegant process to watch: an endless stream of trash pouring into a bottomless garbage can.
Gamespot

It's easy to sell the first installment of The White March short when comparing it to the main game, because it just feels like more of the same. While that isn't a deal breaker, as the adventures here would have fit almost seamlessly into Pillars of Eternity proper, this first expansion is a little too predictable and a little too rough around the edges. More innovative side quests, a little more work to fill out some of the settings like Stalwart, and a main plot that either tied into the main storyline or offered a noteworthy change of pace could have made this expansion something memorable. Even though it gives you a chance to revisit one of the best RPGs in years, The White March Part 1 ultimately feels like a missed opportunity to expand that greatness into new territory.
Thanks Eye.

More information.

Knew this was going to be more of the same.

Any conclusions or summaries trying to characterize the first part of the expansion should probably be taken with a grain of salt given that the story is not entirely complete yet.

After hitting level 8 in my current game and finishing the Woedica quest in Defiance Bay, I've obtained access to the expansion content. If anyone wasn't sure how this works: it comes from an invitation via the Steward in the Stronghold. Not sure when I'll check it out as yet; keen to do some more Caed Nua and more main quest first.

My 2nd play of PoE is waiting for this round of patching to be done.
My 3rd play of PoE will be after both expansions are out, and can be bought cheap together and round of patching after those is done.

Back
Top Bottom