Fallout 4 - The P in S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The second video about Fallout's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system is about perception.

I love these animations, though the fact they are done from the perspective of pre-war vault-tec educational films yet reference post-war elements, I just find really illogical.

I'm a little confused... Is Perception supposed to be what determines sneak/steal effectiveness? That's an odd choice, if so.

I'd have picked Agility for that.

I love these animations, though the fact they are done from the perspective of pre-war vault-tec educational films yet reference post-war elements, I just find really illogical.

They may have been produced by Cleve, who references post-war elements on a daily basis.

The same thing was bothering me.

Another video that provides more insight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1J9HSbqqUA

They could have been shot pre-war, filling the gap with what they thought the situations to look like after the war. Nothing prevented them from imagining what could happen. The mood is based on the cold war period, in the US, short movies were shot to educate people who built their anti nuclear shelter, based on surmises on what could happen after a nuclear war.

On that basis, the question is about accuracy. Maybe, the documents are too accurate, giving the feeling documentary makers guessed too right.
Maybe it only means they lived in reality, and as such, were able to make correct predictions.

They could have been shot pre-war, filling the gap with what they thought the situations to look like after the war.

How would you imagine a supermutant that looks exactly like a post-apoc supermutant? (in b4 hardcores lecturing me in how FEV was a pre-war invention)

Through speculation, as mentioned.
Contrary to this world where speculation is mainly used to hide the future, in the fall out world, they use speculation to predict.
As an evidence, their speculation that there would be a nuclear event was a prediction.

Their speculations on the post war world might be taken as predictions.

still doesn't explain why your dreamed up mutant would look exactly like the mutant eventually produced by a specific virus.

It is explained: their speculations are used to predict.

The same way they speculate on an incoming war, they speculated on the post war outlooks.
They predicted.

just admit that you're wrong. It's not that hard. Even DArt learned it eventually. ;)

Wrong on what?

They predicted there would be a nuclear conflict.
They predicted what situations would exist in a post war world.
They predicted what it would take to perform in those situations.

And suddenly, they should be deprived of other predictions they made.

Because the looks of the mutants are not the only prediction, the whole thing is filled up with predictions.

The bit of information is that they use speculation to predict the future. Indeed, when used to speculation as a means of hiding what is going to happen, speculation leading to prediction might be disturbing.

The style is inappropriate.

What might be a simple exercize turns into a complicated one, as soon as players are factored in.

The simple transposition of an event from this world turns into a nightmare. There is no way to do it properly.

In this world, documentaries on a post nuclear war were produced. FA draws inspiration from that era.

A writer could as well transpose that kind of productions to the FO world.
These clips could be that. They could be something else.

When a writer wants to elaborate the FO version of this world documentaries on a post nuclear war, it must be taken into account that the nuclear war happened in FO.

In the FO world, documentaries contain speculations that later revealed to be predictions.

Speculations (to be turned in predictions):

Life in a post war world? yes.
Mutant life? Yes
Kind of life lived and how? Yes.
Looks of people? Yes

This is where the twist kicks in.
This logical sequence might appear illogical to players who do not like predictions.
In order to accomodate these tastes, a writer might want to introduce a level of error in the speculation.
Basically, that could be that perception is not useful in the depicted situations. Or is useful in other situations.
Or that the mutants have a different look etc

By doing so, the writer might mislead people into thinking that perception will be useful in other situations. Or that there will be some additional mutant content.

In other words, it might spur players into expecting to see what is reported in the clip in the game.

When it is accurate, players might find that illogical, based on their tastes.
If it is not accurate, players might expect to the inaccurate version to be the game version. The way a feature is depicted must represent the way the feature is in the game (in addition, that could be seen as false advertizing)

No proper way to do it.

Yet, on the paper, a simple exercize, called for by the inspirational material.

No surprise that writers struggle to produce decent stories in video games.

Back
Top Bottom