Undertale - First 30 Minutes @ Indie Ruckus

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Watch the first 30 minutes of Undertale - an RPG where you try *Not* to kill monsters:

Hey kid, you ever play that crusty, old, ancient relic of the SNES era, Earthbound? Did you think it was charming and funny? Did it set off all your quirk-pleasure zones in your temporal lobe? Of course it did. So now this new indie RPG Undertale is kind of like Earthbound in its quirk-centricism, except that it has worse graphics and a more entertaining battle system! That’s a fair trade if you ask me!

No but seriously folks, Undertale is a great RPG that will not leave you hitting attack 30 times in a row. The battles are based on figuring out the right way to interact with the monster verbally. Sometimes you might need to threaten, flirt with, pick on, imitate or use (literally) hundreds of other interactions in order to get the enemy to back down to you. Every fight is different and you have to use that noggin to figure out how to manipulate the creature correctly. Or you can choose to beat them down the old fashion way. But for reasons I won’t disclose here, you probably won’t want to do that.

So watch me play this new classic if you’re craving some retro RPG action with a modern twist.
More information.

This is definitely not a game for me. I can't find anything appealing about it.

I could handle the dragon warrior graphics from 20+ years ago if the gameplay and "combat" didn't seem so mind numbingly boring.

I'm a combat first type guy though so this game was not made for my demographic anyway.

It sounds like the "non-combat" system simply replaces a combat system. I'd have no problem with that if it involved the same amount of tactics and depth of a good combat system. I have to admit though, the presentation is a turn off for me.

Back
Top Bottom