Age of Decadence - Preview @ 3rd-Strike

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
3rd-Strike has previewed The Age of Decadence:

The Age of Decadence is a turn-based single-player role-playing game that has been tweaked and reshaped for over ten years by the Iron Tower Studio team. Set in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world and inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire, the tactical game features several choices and consequences to each action taken. After years in development, and currently still in Early Access, the game is nearing its scheduled launch date of October 14th.

[...]

Conclusion

The Age of Decadence is not your average RPG and the developers warn the player at the very start that it’s not about killing people either. In this story, you’re not a mighty hero equipped to deal with those brutal fights. The non-linear yet overlapping narratives of each quest and class is a joy to discover but advancing in the game is tedious and requires countless repeats. The lack of bloodshed and the hardship will appall many players but the game does feature a rich role playing environment in which the player is given multiple choices while having to bear the consequences of each choice. All-in-all, The Age of Decadence is a great game but not recommended for the bloodthirsty gamers among us.

Good: traveling system, large skilltrees, non-linear questlines, plenty of choices to make, consequences for each choice, rich RP environment

Bad: outdated graphics, difficult to master and relentless, dull ambiance sound with no voice-overs
More information.

It reads more like a review than a preview.

I'll be playing this for sure, and I prefer text over voices anyway, as the first thing I do with any new game is eliminate the audio. I expect this game to amaze me, and probably warrant several play-throughs as different classes.

The faction reputation cannot be changed, neither can the player change the amount of skill points they receive in the combat and civil skilltree. For example, an assassin will have 50 combat points and 30 civil points at the start while a grifter starts with 20 combat points and 60 civil points.

The preview is wrong on this count by the way.

The skill points just depend on how you divide up your primary stats.

Each extra stat point in Strength, Dexterity or Constitution adds 5 points to the Combat skill tree. Each extra stat point in Perception, Intelligence or Charisma adds 5 points to the Civil skill tree.

The previewer must not have noticed that he can alter the primary stats when choosing a certain background. The allocation is just to show a potential "good" start.

The critique about VO might be a little silly, but the game could definitely use some more ambient audio - it would make a nice difference in the experience, in my view.

That said, it's fantastically well worth playing regardless of the lack of tons of ambient audio. ;)

I'd pay extra for no voiceovers.

Back
Top Bottom