Death Trash - Interview @ Bare Knuckle Development

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Bare Knuckle Development interviewed the creator of the post-apocalyptic RPG Death Trash, Stephan Hövelbrinks:

This week we’ve been grafting and steadily making our way along this journey towards The Flawless: Art’s Tale but we always make time for our indie dev comrades. You might have already seen our post about Death Trash so you should know how cool it is. I had the chance to speak with its creator and here’s what he had to say… Read the full interview below. enjoy everyone!

Welcome to the Bare Knuckle Development blog!! Can you introduce yourself and your company?

Hello. I am Stephan Hövelbrinks, and I work on my own. I made a bunch of small free games. Several months ago, while making daily paintings, I stumbled upon this project and world Death Trash, which has now totally sucked me in.

For people who are new to Death Trash can you give us a quick introduction?

Death Trash is a modern post-apocalyptic roleplaying game with influences of cyberpunk, science fiction, horror, the grotesque and trash-talk humor. It will have many dialogues, unique characters, realtime combat, crafting and local co-op. Player freedom is emphasized and he/she should always find multiple paths to the goals. Survival in this unfriendly wasteland being one of the goals.

What has inspired you to make this game?

On the one hand is the first spark, the idea, of course. That happened while partaking in the Daily Art Streak on www.streak.club, trying myself in pixel art and isometric perspective. Then happened the Fallout 4 announcement and I made my own pixel version of a Fallout that could be. Making more pictures in the following weeks, the world manifested. On the other hand are all the influences. For the gameplay old roleplaying classics like Ultima 7, Planescape: Torment and Fallout. But also modern indie games and how they control and feel.

For the world movies like The Blood of Heroes (which almost no one knows anymore), Mad Max, Alien, Blade Runner, Terminator. The punk movement. The brutal worlds depicted in Death and Black Metal. The Doom and Quake games. My own love of diversity in people. The multitude in sexual preferences. The humor of classic point and click adventure games like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle. The writings of Robert E. Howard, Kafka, Dostoyevsky and even Hermann Hesse. If anyone would have said to me beforehand that there’s too much thrown together here, I would have agreed, but now, seeing the world of Death Trash unfold before my own eyes, it all makes sense to me. [...]
More information.

I won't be able to bring myself to play this.
Sorry.

A pair of characters trick to avoid lack of chatty and cherish mockery (Van Helsing) or loco protagonist talking to themself (ME2:Arrival DLC) just don't click with me any more. If ever did.

I'd rather grind bears in DA3 where it's not just "dumb and dumber" or "two stupid dogs" game, but a party of different characters to pick from.

Back
Top Bottom