Wasteland 2 - Director's Cut Released

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Directors Cut version of Wasteland 2 is available right now.

Wasteland 2: Director's Cut is OUT NOW on Windows, Mac and Linux for Steam and GOG.com users!

To play, login to Steam, visit your Library page, and look for the new Wasteland 2: Director's Cut game entry. You will need to download this version of the game separately, but it will not replace your existing Wasteland 2 install. If you are a GOG.com user, you can grab it on your Account page there.

Other third party stores on PC will be rolling out soon over the course of the coming day. Stay tuned for updates from them if you have Wasteland 2: Director's Cut on a store other than Steam or GOG.com, such as Origin.

Meanwhile, console retail and digital release is scheduled for today in the Americas, and October 16 for Europe, so keep an eye out if you are looking to pick up a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One copy.

We've created a Wasteland 2: Director's Cut release FAQ covering many common questions, which you can find here, so take a look if you are in a reading mood while you download.

Today marks the end to another leg of our game development journey through the world of Wasteland, and we are honored to have shared it with you. Now, all we can say is: enjoy!
And there was also this update by Brian Fargo:

Bringing Wasteland 2 to life has been an incredible adventure and one that was 25 years in the making. But not everyone may know the history behind Wasteland and the influences that came before it to make it what it is.

The post-apocalyptic genre is one which has stuck with me from a very early age. One of my initial experiences with it was The Omega Man, a sci-fi film from 1971, though many of you today might know that story best as I Am Legend. Despite the age of the original book, the themes around it – the destruction of civilization and near-extinction of mankind, that story of survival in a harsh world by a solitary few – are timeless and universal. The original book was turned into a movie three times, including 1964's the Last Man on Earth, as well as a series of comics and a radio play, showing how much a strong idea can reappear over the years in different formats. I'm sure you can recognize much of that in Wasteland 2.

While The Omega Man was one of my first exposures to the post-apocalyptic genre, it wasn't my last. Mad Max, the 1979 film by George Miller and starring Mel Gibson had a profound influence on me, combining those post-apocalyptic, sci-fi storylines with a gritty aesthetic and harsh world full of leather, guns, cannibal tribes and fast cars. The famous minimalist world-building of Mad Max makes it an incredibly iconic setting and it's one that countless creators have been shaped by. And once again, the recent Mad Max: Fury Road movie shows that a strong creative vision can be maintained over decades of time.

When it came time to create Wasteland 1 in 1988, it was a culmination of all my influences in the post-apocalyptic genre. The game took those themes of man-made devastation at the hands of the world's superpowers, and combined them with the deserts, guns and tribes of Mad Max, all set in the post-nuclear Arizona wastes. The game was also steeped in 80s culture and imagery, and many of those dark sci-fi images which came out at the time made it into Wasteland 1, in the form of the game's robots and its punk rock style. The rest is history (and if you want to own a piece of that history, we're still offering limited edition signed art prints of the original Wasteland 1 cover).

Wasteland 1 was a huge success, but when exploring the idea of a sequel, Interplay and I no longer had the rights to the game. Instead, we built Fallout, which had some of its own spin on the post-nuclear genre with its unique 1950s theme – inspired by the look and vision of the future seen in the Golden Era of science fiction. We still made sure to carry over plenty from Wasteland into Fallout – Shadowclaws became Deathclaws, the Guardians of the Old Order became the Brotherhood of Steel… but Power Armor? Power Armor is always Power Armor.

When I returned to Wasteland 2 on Kickstarter back in 2012 – has it been that long? – I wanted to bring back the same universe as the original game, pushing the 80s angle even more. And much like Fallout's references to Wasteland, so too are there many references to other works in the post-apoc and sci-fi genres which inspired the game. The Interceptor, the famous car from Mad Max, makes an appearance in Rail Nomads Camp, and the game's villain, Matthias, is a nod to Jonathan Matthias from The Omega Man. The game is also littered with smaller details, such as characters and in-game books hinting at A Canticle for Leibowitz, or a reference to my favorite post-apocalyptic book of all time, Swan Song, with an appearance by none other than Sister Creep.

The post-apocalyptic genre is like no other out there, because it shows us the darker side of humanity, and what can happen when our normal societal rules break down. While traditional sci-fi often gave us an idealized view of the future and of humanity, it's post-apoc which has fascinated me because of just how plausible it is. That idea of waking up one day with the society you know suddenly gone is one which strikes a chord in everyone, and creates a great basis for interesting ideas and adventures.

And of course, with Wasteland 2, we made history once again, helping to prove that crowdfunding is a viable way to make games, and that those hardcore CRPGs are most definitely not dead!
Thanks Kristoph.

More information.

you have to wonder what other things they removed because they didnt worked with controllers :wall:

Huh?
They removed some stuff because of... Joysticks?
I'm joining the party.

banging-head.gif

I'm trying to get the game to recognize my Shield Portable controller. Any ideas? I'm running Pinnacle Game Profiler and emulating and Xbox 360 controller but it's not working.

Well it's good that it's out. Should I wait for a couple of patch updates I wonder?

I would. There are a lot of issues being reported, most of which are obvious and should have been addressed prior to release:

- Camera issues (temporary hotfix released)
- Missing switch in one area makes a main quest unfinishable
- Memory leaks
- Sound and voice issues
- Issue with custom portraits
- Can't save custom created characters (you could in the original)

All in all, this is not the best re-release for a game that was "released" over a year ago. There are going to be lots more reported issues as people get deeper into the game. I hope they address this stuff. Fortunately, like most of us here, I have a huge backlog…

Thanks for the info, sea. It sounds like you guys are on top of things, and I'm really looking forward to playing this when I have the time.

:thumbsup:

You are definitely supporting your product, which is very good. :) Still, I'm going to wait for a few more patches to ensure the best possible experience. As far as sound issues, I am personally seeing the speaker setting revert to Quad every time I start the application. I have a 5.1 setup. I have faith that you will eventually resolve this stuff. Your support thus far has been stellar.

I starting playing since it was released and thought I would comment on the issues mentioned above.

- Camera issues (temporary hotfix released)
Not a temporary hotfix - it is a permanent fix.​
- Missing switch in one area makes a main quest unfinishable
As mentioned by sea this is not an issue.​
- Memory leaks
I did not experience this but that does not mean it isn't happening for others.​
- Sound and voice issues
I did not experience this but that does not mean it isn't happening for others.​
- Issue with custom portraits
If you have your heart set on using your own portrait then probably best to wait :)
- Can't save custom created characters (you could in the original)
This is a minor annoyance. I think you would have to be creating quite a few variations during character creation for it to be an issue. I tried 6 or so and wasn't a concern for me.​

So if you are getting memory/sound issues I recommend waiting but most people should be good to go now.

I took a look at it, and it looks pretty good.

I didn't find the camera angle THAT bad myself, though it was a very poor decision to force it by default.

The Quirks seem underwhelming and I've found only 2 or 3 I'd consider picking - though these things might change as I play more. But I think they could have been slightly more generous without breaking anything.

The Perks seem decent, if also too conservative for my tastes. Sort of run-of-the-mill stuff, but definitely useful.

Visually, I'm not sure I see that much of an improvement - except the characters do seem cleaner.

Performance has received a boost, so that's nice.

I'll try to get the time to really dive into it, but it's defintely an improvement from what I can tell - and it's free so there's nothing to complain about.

Still despise the skill-bloat coupled with the save-scumming they almost force you to go through when using skills, but I can live with it ;)

Okay so I started a new party and have just got to Rail Nomads after doing the radio tower bit so I'm a bit under-skilled (about lvl 3). There is a lot less trapped chests in the radio tower area which is a plus. Bit of a relief that and the skill use by right click is a vast improvement to what was there before.

The voice acting is a mixed bag; some of it hurts the experience a tad. I'm playing on ranger difficulty since I've played through it before on seasoned. I think once I'm mid levels i.e lvl 8 onwards I'll get a better feel for combat. Taking on the rail bandits this soon is definitely tough as I can't afford armour and could only scrape enough scrap initially for a radiation suit.

There is a lot less loot this time around so it seems harder to gather scrap then before and some of my weapons do pathetic amounts of damage. I bought Angela this time which I didn't do last time to see what happens at Rail Nomads. I may have to leave the bandits be for a moment and explore the wasteland to grind encounters for gear.

The previous zoom level has now been restored and it's identical to the original game.

You still dont get it after hundreds posted on the forums lol. WE DONT WANT BIGGER ZOOM OUT, WE WANT THE ANGLE NOT TO CHANGE WHEN WE ZOOM OUT.

Anyway, this is shelved now, its unplayable for me, only hope is for an unofficial patch like the original game had.

The voice acting is a mixed bag; some of it hurts the experience a tad. I'm playing on ranger difficulty since I've played through it before on seasoned. I think once I'm mid levels i.e lvl 8 onwards I'll get a better feel for combat. Taking on the rail bandits this soon is definitely tough as I can't afford armour and could only scrape enough scrap initially for a radiation suit.

Is it true that they switch voice actors for some of the characters that have added voice acting? Because that'd be really jarring.

Invested around 100 hours in Wasteland 2, i enjoyed it. Thanks for Director's cut, sadly old saves are incompatible with new version.

I haven't played enough yet to notice any different voice actors, they seem the same to me. I don't tend to notice, Vargas is still Vargas, Angie is still Angie. About the quality what stood out was the whole Jessy, Ralphy drowning bit - voice acting seemed very wooden. Most is fine but some is wooden in some places.

I haven't played enough yet to notice any different voice actors, they seem the same to me. I don't tend to notice, Vargas is still Vargas, Angie is still Angie. About the quality what stood out was the whole Jessy, Ralphy drowning bit - voice acting seemed very wooden. Most is fine but some is wooden in some places.
The bandits at Radio tower map were not voiced before and it would have been better if it stayed that way.

Thanks for all the info - reinstalled last night ... now to find time to play :)

Back
Top Bottom