Deus Ex - Revision released on Steam

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
There is a new mod available through Steam or Moddb that updates Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition.

The improvements are as follows:

Deus Ex: Revision is a community-made overhaul of the 2000 classic. It features new environments, new music, and new world-building detail. It also bundles in some of the best modifications that the fanbase has made over the years, including Direct3D 9 rendering, high-resolution textures, high-detail 3D
Minimum System Requirements

Processor: Dual-core 2.0 GHz
Memory: 3 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 MB DirectX 9-compatible GPU
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 6 GB available space
Additional Notes: A faster CPU will deliver better performance. We do not recommend using a CPU slower than 2.0 Ghz. 32-bit operating systems are not supported.
[…]

Available Through Steam

Deus Ex: Revision is freely available through Steam. Everyone who owns Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition through Steam will find it available to install in their personal Steam Library.
More information.

I played this and it seems a very competent mod. Some people bitch about the music, but I think it's fine.

But it certainly does its job - and the textures are much better - and it's visually more interesting.

I don't know which part of the mod has changed the actual levels in terms of enemy placement and what not, but that makes the experience fresher too. Not sure it's actually better, though, but I'll definitely be playing this at some point.

I have three genuine copies of this game, none of them steam version. It means there will be no Revision for me :(

Guess I have to buy again as well. This time steam and for this price I dont mind

They could at least name it something like Deus Ex: Revisited. 'Revision' sounds like a clerical fix.

I had to repurchase it again as well. It took me by surprise because I was quite sure I owned Deus Ex on Steam already.

I tried Revision briefly this morning and...well, I'm not overly impressed. It certainly seems competent enough, but I guess I was expecting more from a mod that was in development for 7 years.

I tried Revision briefly this morning and…well, I'm not overly impressed. It certainly seems competent enough, but I guess I was expecting more from a mod that was in development for 7 years.

They tried to balance cosmetic updates with fidelity to the original game, so they steadfastly avoided making big, splashy changes. I generally like the decisions they made, but most players won't notice massive changes unless they're incredibly familiar with the original DX right down to bad textures and specific enemy placement.

Just like the "update" mods for System Shock 1 & 2, I think this mod does a good job of smoothing over some of the game's most obvious rough edges while still respecting the original vision.

I have the original and GOG versions, so guess I will have to get the Steam version if I want to give it a try. It's very cheap, but how much harder would it have been to make a universal patch/mod?

I'm not sure of the exact backstory…but it sounds like it's tied to the rightsholder (Squeenix) allowing the mod's release only for customers with verified, purchased copies of the original game. I'd think that GOG.com should've been able to provide that verification, too, but maybe not; GOG.com isn't always as flexible or responsive as Steam, probably due to lower staff bandwidth. Either way, it's probably not surprising that Squeenix forced Steam-only, and I don't think it was the mod team's decision.

Apparently there is a way to get the gog/cd versions to work with the mod. Details on this gog thread.

Guys...my post from ModDB page:

"Ha-haaa...IT WORKS..IT F***ING WORKS (music as well)...SCREW STEAM :D :D
Folks and I mean CD/GOG version owners (eff u steam fanboys)..use the standalone installer and ignore steam at the end.
Then download Kentie's launcher, extract it into your Deus Ex/System.
Make a copy of the Deusex.exe and rename it to Revision.exe
Now run the Revision.exe..configure it how you see fit...and finally in Data Directories make sure to check everything..you can uncheck BioMod and/or Shifter if you don't want to play with them.
..and that's it. have fun. :D"

..can't post links..google the Kentie's launcher

Back
Top Bottom