Pillars of Eternity - Surpasses 500,000 Units in Worldwide Sales

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Congratulations!

Pillars of Eternity Surpasses 500,000 Units in Worldwide Sales!

Pillars of Eternity has sold over 500,000 units worldwide! It's a big day for Pillars of Eternity and the fans that helped make it possible! From all of us on the Pillars team to all of you who have enjoyed the game: THANK YOU!

From our beloved CEO, Feargus Urquhart, "Pillars of Eternity has been a life-changing experience for me, and for everyone involved in its creation. Knowing that over half a million people have gotten to share in that is both flattering and humbling. I want to deeply thank all of our fans and supporters. We can't wait to share what we've got next for the world of Eora!"
More information.

Although 500,000 is a good number of sales i was pretty confident they would have sold quite a bit more. The game is pretty damn great and the expansion a good addition. Maybe in the long run :)

It's one of those games that will continue to sell. I'm happy for them.

Although 500,000 is a good number of sales i was pretty confident they would have sold quite a bit more. The game is pretty damn great and the expansion a good addition. Maybe in the long run :)

D:OS is not that much bigger in same time frame. With enough time, patches and few sales they will reach 1 million.

You need marketing to reach more numbers. Even the likes of Baldur's Gate were marketed up to the wazoo back in the days. Also a lot of mainstream people won't buy a game if it doesn't have AAA graphics.

A good game but disappointing in many respects too. I suppose it will be a Baldur's Gate situation, whereas the sequel will be much more refined and will have more content.

Of course I'd prefer to have turn-based combat, but you can't get everything you want. :p

Not a chance. With no console release and such a niche offering they did really well with 500K units. Definitely a great game!

Well, let's make some assumptions. Let's say they didn't spend above their budget to develop the game (~$4 mil from Kickstarter), and they made $30 per copy sold. That's ~$14 mil in profits for them. I would say that's not bad at all for a zero-risk game.

On a side note, this is the last game I finished, and I absolutely loved it all the way through. It's hard for me to find the time to play games these days, so that means something.

It turned a good enough game for me…I'm more glad that this saved Obsidian and they finally have their foundation to build their own games on.
Eh, did Obsidian say anything about the possibility of working on next Fallout? Is there at least 84% chance on it? :p

Game isn't that great from what I have seen so I am not surprised it didn't sell much more. DOS sold more because of the combat and Co-op though not many played it together.

The sequel will have improvements tech wise but I am not sure about everything else, after all Josh is still there.

Awesome. I am guessing it excludes White March sales as well. Once Obsidian builds up a catalog of games (all with long term sales potential) it should hopefully give them real long term viability.

I've been a critic of the mechanics of this game, but I'm quite happy to see it has been a success for Obsidian. Glad they have a franchise of their own, and I hope they continue to refine its underlying systems.

Not quite AAA territory, but certainly a solid sales total. Congratulations to them.

As one who has completed this game minus the White March I thought it was very solid and I enjoyed it a lot. However, they are constantly fooling around with game balance and every time they patch to fix bugs they introduce gamers to new game breaking bugs -- some very serious while not addressing many of the previous ones. As several have rightly said: It's Obsidian; what do you expect? They are notorious for bugs.

Game isn't that great from what I have seen so I am not surprised it didn't sell much more. DOS sold more because of the combat and Co-op though not many played it together.

The sequel will have improvements tech wise but I am not sure about everything else, after all Josh is still there.
You're not the lone dissenting voice. If PoE had been turn-based, I might even have played it. (I did play and enjoy BG and IWD back in the day)

Back
Top Bottom