Original Sin EE - Review @ IGN

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Today is the release day of Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition. IGN has reviewed the game already:

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition Review

Old-school, pen-and-paper roleplaying from the comfort of your couch.

When IGN reviewed Divinity: Original Sin on PC last year, we gave it a 9 for “Amazing.” Here’s what we had to say:
"Divinity: Original Sin is one of the most rewarding RPGs to come along in years. Its quests and combat compelled me to think hard about my actions and choices, which is more than I usually get to say about contemporary RPGs. Its depth, personality, and combat challenges easily allow it to hold its own against the likes of heavyweights like Dragon Age: Origins."

It was difficult to imagine Original Sin’s old-school complexity working on consoles (read our full review for Divinity: Original Sin for complete details), but Enhanced Edition successfully makes it happen without any sacrifices. Though the same inventory criticisms apply, the highly interactive world of Rivellon and the finely detailed RPG systems therein are completely intact.

[…]

New Pages in the Spellbook
In terms of new content, the biggest addition is the full voicing of pretty much every NPC, which adds a layer of immersion to a world that was already very well-realized. New areas and skills have been added too, and while they’re appreciated, Divinity is already so large and exhaustive these feel more like cherries on top as opposed to a whole new scoop. For instance, the addition of dual wielding as a combat style helps make off-hand weapons more viable, but it isn't exactly a reason to replay if you've already sunk 100 hours into the original.

[…]

The Verdict
If you want the RPG with the most skills, the most stats to consider, and a world that constantly makes meaningful use of every line on your character sheet, there’s nothing else quite like Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition. You can find RPGs that are prettier, more accessible, or less busy, but very few are as dedicated to the true spirit of role-playing as this one is.

Score: 9.0 Amazing

Enhanced Edition brings all the depth and character of Divinity: Original Sin to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
  • + Gamepad controls mapping
  • + Unmatched RPG depth
  • + Split-screen co-op
  • + Fully voiced NPCs

• - Lots of inventory management
More information.

Really looking forward to this one releasing today :)

I will play it for a third time…

I have to finish my first play :D I got bored in mid game after I cleared first zone, that ice zone and was just doing main quest in the forest zone.

Ah, so I can finally start playing ?

I have no idea when I would be able to as people have been saying it's a 100-hour game.
Stop playing AoD over and over and you will have time to play a good game.

Yes, EE is here, time to put another 200 hrs in the game....

y. also dropped it.
will give this another go. although i still doubt i can feel immersed in this world. its boring and incongruent. like a colorbook. and i have no friends to play it with .. hm
i guess ill stalk people on facebook and see who has it

I played the beta 200 hours, which was just the Cyseal area, then I was too burned out to play the full game at release. This is a good excuse to revisit Rivelllon.

y. also dropped it.
will give this another go. although i still doubt i can feel immersed in this world. its boring and incongruent. like a colorbook. and i have no friends to play it with .. hm
i guess ill stalk people on facebook and see who has it

If only someone would create a medium for bringing like-minded people together. Like a forum or something similar. Where one could theoretically post that they are looking for other people in a certain time frame. Ah would that such a place existed. :biggrin:

- Lots of inventory management
When did this become a minus in RPG? O_O

When did this [lots of inventory management] become a minus in RPG? O_O

Inventory management is probably the one thing I was hoping that would improve with EE. I don't mind a lot of objects and things to fiddle with, but I do like a UI that presents things in a way where I can focus on decision making and less on organizing and flipping between screens and tabs.

I say this with a great deal of respect toward Larian and it's worth noting that while I felt that inventory management in the original D:OS was a bit cumbersome, they still get high marks for at least delivering a first-rate PC UI which most developers don't bother with anymore.

I haven't played DOS yet, as I have been holding off for this enhanced edition. I looking forward to finally starting it as soon as I beat Avernum 2. Was the story in DOS originally not very good and that is why they improved it in the new version?

I just hope that they never give up on their unique style of Pratchett fantasy. I could take decades more of games set in Rivellon.

I haven't played DOS yet, as I have been holding off for this enhanced edition. I looking forward to finally starting it as soon as I beat Avernum 2. Was the story in DOS originally not very good and that is why they improved it in the new version?

The changes didn't have anything to do with the story. They just really enhanced the game. Take a look at this and you'll get the idea: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/1389390

Fired it up yesterday for free. Brought back great memories of my favorite RPG in quite some time. What a great game. Sadly I just couldn't get into a full replay. Looking forward to DoS 2.

Did anyone replaying have a strong feeling about the voice acting? I have to say for me I don't really care (don't dislike it, but didn't add much). I'd rather have that budget go into polish, more story, etc. I like the voice acting but don't think it is the best use of the $$ personally. I would have loved a nice little DLC with small new story and maps (even if somewhat small). But I guess the whole point of this was porting to console, which likely has mores new sales potential vs. a PC-only DLC.

Did anyone replaying have a strong feeling about the voice acting? I have to say for me I don't really care (don't dislike it, but didn't add much).

I replayed it a bit last night and I feel like it the VO is out of place. Maybe it's because this is like the first isometric game I play with every line being voiced or something.

Back
Top Bottom