Cyberpunk 2077 - CD Project Red works more on this Game now @ GamesRadar

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
CD Project Red is focussing more and more on Cyberpunk 2077:

CD Projekt RED emerged briefly to claim five Golden Joystick Awards earlier today, but now it's straight back to work on Cyberpunk 2077. And, to a lesser extent, The Witcher 3.

"The team is divided right now," Michal Nowakowski, CD Projekt SVP of business and publishing, told GR+ news guy Leon Hurley at the show. "There's a sizable team still working on [The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine], but an even more sizable team has actually been working on Cyberpunk for quite a while right now."

Nowakowski noted that Cyberpunk 2077 has been in the works since it was first announced back in 2012, though he did add that it was "very early development." CD Projekt Red hasn't given any hint of a release date for the sci-fi, open-world RPG (it's never even officially said the game's coming to this generation of consoles) but we'll hopefully hear more after Blood and Wine launches in the first quarter of 2016. [...]
More information.

Tell ya what, if this is anything like Witcher 3... I really don't know how CDPR was able to make such an amazing game-- good writing, good acting, amazing characters. I know they said Cp2077 will be bigger, but I just hope they can retain the quality.

I think that Mike Podsmith working with CDPR on that project is probably the best quality assurance there is :)

I didn't realize this was "Open World" too - how open? For me, the weakest part of Witcher 3 was the "openness". I loved the quests and stories and encounters they lavished attention on, the "openness" was a distraction in my opinion and I never really felt that rewarded for exploring.

I didn't realize this was "Open World" too - how open? For me, the weakest part of Witcher 3 was the "openness". I loved the quests and stories and encounters they lavished attention on, the "openness" was a distraction in my opinion and I never really felt that rewarded for exploring.
Since last game copied Skyrim, my bet is this game is going to copy GTA.

Since last game copied Skyrim, my bet is this game is going to copy GTA.

That's one hundred percent pure ignorance...Wild Hunt and Skyrim are exact opposite in design in almost every aspect.
There is far more RDR influence than that of any other popular title. Even the devs confirmed that.

That's one hundred percent pure ignorance…Wild Hunt and Skyrim are exact opposite in design in almost every aspect.
There is far more RDR influence than that of any other popular title. Even the devs confirmed that.
Except they are same in design in the main thing lol. Your fanboyism is shining brightly atm.

Not really, unless the "main thing" is something other than the world and environments, design of the protagonist, main and side characters, dialogue, quests, main story and pacing, core game mechanics, world interaction, exploration value, side activities, etc, etc.
Care to elaborate?

So you are a fanboy if you don't think witcher 3 copied skyrim? :D

Witcher 3 open worldness was used to show a living world where the narrative is set, it wasn't meant to be played like a sandbox game.

As for Cyberpunk 2077, the setting is entirely set into one city: Night City. CD Project dev said they added some wilderness around it, but I expect the bulk of the game to be in the city. Now try to imagine a city the size of Valen/Novigrad/Oxenfurt map…

Sounds fine to me. I really like playing in cities having a high quest and NPC density. If an RPG lacks a big living city (D:OS, DA:I, Witcher 2, Skyrim, WL2, PoE,…) that's a flaw for me.

but I just hope they can retain the quality.
If that title requires the same voluntary suspension of disbelief to accept all the flaws in the open world and gameplay, that will be a quick to settle question.

It would be fantastic to have an RPG game take place in a huge city… there are very few games like that. Vampire the Masquared: Bloodlines ? ( well, not a huge city,, but for the time it was big, it had so much potential but came out really short ) omikron the nomad soul ( great game! , but an adventure game).

GTA ( well, yeck ), Mafia ( well, yeck ) and not really RPG's either.

There are not so many others I can remember…..

Well, you could count Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong. But these are hub based and thus don't give the impression of a continous city.
Dragon Age 2 also took place in the main city Kirkwall only but I really hope this won't be the inspiring example for CP77. ;)

One city that changes over time would be better than a world with dozen static settlements.
I'm hoping that this bigger open world insanity dies at some point, and these are balanced out with roughly hundred hours game play with more tight storytelling and overall higher quality content and core game mechanics design.
Something that, at least in terms of how it "balances out" ratio of different aspects of the game, Gothic II handled pretty damn well more than a decade ago.

GTA ( well, yeck ), Mafia ( well, yeck ) and not really RPG's either.
GTA 5, didn't play others, is Need For Speed with a story. And IMO overblown, overrated and overpriced thing. But it's still better than Mafia.

Unlike Mafia, where in order to progress you need to win formula race, there is no "win a race or you're stuck" point in GTA 5.

Neither is RPG and hopefully noone will have an idea to make RPG/carracing hybrid.

I'm hoping that this bigger open world insanity dies at some point
The problem is that world map size can easily be measured and thus be used efficiently in PR if you're big enough. That's game industry's penis length comparison for open world games. ;)
Other feature like reactivity or story telling are difficult to measure and thus don't work that well in PR. So no matter if a huge world really improves the game it's good for developers to have the biggest.

Back
Top Bottom