Witcher - Film now in Production

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
First a book, then an RPG and now a movie will be made:

Have you been enjoying The Witcher games and really wishing your non video game friends would get into it with you? That is about to get much easier.

Production on The Witcher movie is now moving forward, with Platige Films gaining an official partner in the Sean Daniel Company. SDC is known best for their work on The Mummy films. Word spread discreetly on a Witcher film last year when Platige’s creative director, Tomasz Baginski, revealed he was working on it in an interview. This seems to be the first time we are getting a formal English press release on the film.

The movie will be based on two short stories from The Last Wish, namely, The Witcher and Lesser Evil, and is intended to be an introduction to the Witcher universe. Of course, the Andrzej Sapkowski novels all this other media come from have become international bestsellers in their own right, often compared to Game of Thrones. [...]
More information.

The two short stories they have chosen are excellent, one being the intro of the first witcher game basically (witcher goes to Vizima and is contracted to kill the striga which is Foltests cursed daughter) and the other the reason he got named the butcher of Blaviken which is heard so much in the games.

I can only hope the movies they make do justice to the books because they very well deserve it, they are fantastic.

what language will it be filmed in?

I bet italian.

I hope they make it right. The books are really excelent and could make great movies if they keep the tone and don't make it hollywood style. I also hope production values aren't too low.

I bet it will be as good as the Dungeon Siege and DnD movie.

WB is working on a new DnD movie (there are like 3 of them already), they want to make a franchise out of it this new one…

There is a lot of game-related movies in the work, I guess people haven't learn from this list.

It's telling that Final Fantasy: Spirit Within has the highest rating when it was the furthest from its source material…

WB is working on a new DnD movie (there are like 3 of them already), they want to make a franchise out of it this new one…

There is a lot of game-related movies in the work, I guess people haven't learn from this list.

It's telling that Final Fantasy: Spirit Within has the highest rating when it was the furthest from its source material…

Mortal Kombat 1 is by far best game related movie. But Warcraft movie might beat it.

As for these other movies:
I have more faith in a new DnD movie, they are finally doing it in Forgotten Realms and following proper lore.
Witcher movie might be good, depends on how much money is spent.

Eh, honestly I don't have much faith in this. Thing is, Sapkowski books have a very "odd" tone to them, anachronism+adult tone thrown into classic fairy tales, and it takes a while of getting used to them.
It would be a better option to base this on a separate tale, something like Hearts of Stone dlc/expansion.

Hearts of Stone is full of "adult tone thrown into classic fairy tales".

Back
Top Bottom