Shenmue 3 - The Answer To Open World Fatigue?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Naomi Daniels writes about the causes of Open World Fatigue caused by sandbox games like GTA and the possible solution for this problem.

[...]

In a genre that increasingly has grown to the point of causing fatigue in players, known for its large worlds and emphasis on letting them do what they please, certainly there’s enough room for a story-based take on the genre that stresses the personal. While many argue that Shenmue’s time has passed, I argue we need it and games like it now more than ever, and thankfully we’re getting it. While other games do their hardest to not tie themselves to the mundane or the everyday, the Shenmue series is fantastic purely because it ties itself to the everyday and most human in all of us. If Shenmue III replicates even a quarter of the magic of the originals, it’ll be something special.

We need more games like it. Sometimes, maybe bigger really doesn’t necessarily mean better.
More information.

There's an open world fatigue?

I wish! I find the whole "open world" concept extremely overrated. I thought if anyone could do open world right it would be CDPR, but exploration in TW3 was just awful.. wandering around randomly was rarely rewarding and mostly full of filler content with useless loot... The main storyline was good, but I can't help but thinking it would have been an overall better game if they had maintained a structure close to TW2's.

Out of (semi) open world RPG's recently released that I've played, D:OS probably came the closest to doing it well... However there seemed to be a "right" order to go to different areas, since enemies are fixed levels (which is good because I don't want enemy scaling). And the story may have been weaker because the game allows you to go basically anywhere at any time... Haven't played the EE yet so I don't know whether the story has been improved.

Open world may work fine for other genres but I still haven't seen it work very well for RPGs. I guess if all you look for in RPGs is killing monsters and collecting loot so you can kill stronger monsters, then it can work... But personally those type of Hack n' slash games bore me to tears.

I have open world fatigue. I basically follow the storyline always, so these 'open world' games, I finish them in about 20 hours.

+1

keep your linear rails kiddies… part of the reason that I can't takeone trick dungeon crawlers any longer either, one dungeon, no overworld = so 80s.

There's a wide range of possibilities between open world sand-box game and linear dungeon crawler. My preference is somewhere in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom