Fallout 4 - Tips for Beginners

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Shoddycast with some hints:

8 Quick Tips for FALLOUT 4 Beginners (Spoiler Free Guide)

The Storyteller has already traveled all over the Commonwealth. Here are some quick tips and tricks he thinks you should know on your first day. Eight pointers for a beginner starting in Fallout 4.
Thanks Eye!

More information.

Nice.
Having gotten a Pip-Boy edition after all, I might look at this before the big mods come in after all.

Now they put in a long list of "common"* names spoken by at least some of their VAed characters. What struck me was that while they naturally didn't get even one of my usual cast of character names, they have a "Corwin" in there. Common name, really?! 0_o

*and some less common ones... read it for a few bitter laughs.

Last edited:
Instead of hints/tips…

I seriously believe we need warnings on not to abuse exploits like:
- sucking all caps from certain vendors without actually selling them anything (ammo exploit)
- grabbing Cryolator before level 18 lockpicks mastery thanks to sidekicks' lockignore "ability"

I haven't used those exploits since I'm not looking for exploits to use. :p

My #1 tip, which should seem obvious, is - USE VATS (for those who haven't played FO3/NV). My buddy is super frustrated due to ammo issues due to not using VATS enough and blowing thru ammo playing like it's a shooter. It's also wise to be ready to use several different weapons (that use different ammo) even though ammo has no weight in this game and you can carry 1000's.

There are lots of screwy PC UI issues that I hate about this game (and all bethesda/console heavy games). I despise the loading screens for entering simple buildings. All the usual nonsense. Still loving the game thus far - as I loved FO3/NV even if they're not really proper iso sequels to the fallout line.

Game has probably the worst interface of any game I've ever played. The settlement building interface, in particular, is remarkably bad. Basically requires 3 hands to use, since in addition to the keys on the left side of the keyboard, and the mouse, it relies on the arrow keys too. Pretty obvious Bethesda doesn't give a shit about the PC.

Game has probably the worst interface of any game I've ever played. The settlement building interface, in particular, is remarkably bad. Basically requires 3 hands to use, since in addition to the keys on the left side of the keyboard, and the mouse, it relies on the arrow keys too. Pretty obvious Bethesda doesn't give a shit about the PC.

Everyone is designing games around controllers these days. It's not a big deal, just buy a controller. No one will laugh at you.

Everyone is designing games around controllers these days. It's not a big deal, just buy a controller. No one will laugh at you.

People on here would die if they had to.....so silly.

My #1 tip, which should seem obvious, is - USE VATS (for those who haven't played FO3/NV). My buddy is super frustrated due to ammo issues due to not using VATS enough and blowing thru ammo playing like it's a shooter. It's also wise to be ready to use several different weapons (that use different ammo) even though ammo has no weight in this game and you can carry 1000's.

I'm closing in on 20 hours of playtime, and I've only used VATS once to see what it was like. I haven't had any problems finding enough ammo.

The key is to keep switching between weapons and only use the better ones against stronger enemies. I dispatch weaker enemies with melee or something that uses .38 ammo which seems to be everywhere.

I'm not sure if it's the worst I've seen, but I agree it's pretty bad. What's particularly annoying to me is that you use the Tab key to back out of some menus and Esc to back out of others. It's both unintuitive and illogical.

And yeah.. having to switch to the arrow keys in some situations when there's no reason it can't be WASD is just stupid.

People on here would die if they had to…..so silly.

Not as silly as someone telling people what input device they should use based on what said person prefers.

People should use whatever input device they prefer.

I'm closing in on 20 hours of playtime, and I've only used VATS once to see what it was like. I haven't had any problems finding enough ammo.

The key is to keep switching between weapons and only use the better ones against stronger enemies. I dispatch weaker enemies with melee or something that uses .38 ammo which seems to be everywhere.

I'm not sure if it's the worst I've seen, but I agree it's pretty bad. What's particularly annoying to me is that you use the Tab key to back out of some menus and Esc to back out of others. It's both unintuitive and illogical.

And yeah.. having to switch to the arrow keys in some situations when there's no reason it can't be WASD is just stupid.

I'm partial to the 10 mm and that ammo seems really scarce. At least so far.

I must be the only one that actually likes the arrow key dialogue. It just seems quick and easy.

I agree though about the different keys to back out or close stuff. One will use esc., another will use tab and then there's my favorite the tab that needs to be followed by an enter.

Really though I'll put up with some menu quirks to have the precision of the mouse. It is a FPS after all.

My biggest wishlist change would be the scroll wheel for switching weapons. I thought that was pretty much universal in FPS.

Yeah, except I have no desire whatsoever to play a game, especially what amounts to a shooter, with a controller. I'd rather just not play the game. There's a reason I play PC games, not console games.

You've probably seen more than I have since I tend to avoid AAA console port games to begin with. Good call on the menu thing, would have mentioned that too if I'd remembered it at the time. Everything just seems highly randomly assigned.

The 'E' key serves as an alternative to 'Enter'. Makes it a lot more easier finding your way accross the keyboard in menus.

just buy a controller. No one will laugh at you.
I will.
Do we need autoaim because our reflexes are retarded?
Are we really so pathetic we have to play games from a bed?
And are we human beings or monkeys that cannot read letters on a keyboard?

UI in FO4 is horrible.
Whoever says it is not is most probably blind.

The key is find more ammo perk, better barter perk and buying ammo at vendors.
And I had problems, but then again I'm still outside Diamond City avoiding main story like a plague. Maybe the key is to proceed with the main story? :D

I use VATS most of the time unless I'm in power armor. VATS eats up your fusion core like crazy. Of course I suck in real-time combat for the most part :)

I use something with .38 ammo when in real time because I already have a couple thousand bullets of that type. Almost all low level raiders use homemade weapons with .38 ammo, so I've got an unending supply.

Well, if you're going to refuse to use a controller, you should probably stick to playing PC exclusives instead of games that are obviously geared towards console gamers.

PC exclusives don't exist.
It's just that other hardware is so inferior some games just can't be ported onto children's toys.

That's an interesting way to play. I use VATS a lot and perk to use it even more. :p I'm not much for shooters though - it there was not VATS I probably wouldn't even play this game. I also tend to have more loot than vendors can ever buy so I trade for ammo to dump loot.

I would agree with the multiple weapons and different weapons for different situations but I don't melee much since I find it kind of lackluster. I was carrying a melee weapon for roaches but since I have 2k+ of some ammo types already (lvl 15) I stopped carrying one. I think my friend figured out that he needs to diversify more himself.

Well, if you're going to refuse to use a controller, you should probably stick to playing PC exclusives instead of games that are obviously geared towards console gamers.
No, there are many games out there that aren't PC exclusive, but still play quite well on a PC, many of them are even designed for PCs first and foremost. Anyway, I already mentioned earlier in the thread that I do tend to avoid obvious console ports, which these days means every game made by Bethesda - so I'm already following your advice for the most part, I just make an exception for something like Fallout (even though it's fallen pretty far from its roots).

Last edited:
Anyone new to this game, let you give you one tip.

Here it comes....lean in.

Do not underestimate the power of melee. I have 4 str and I knock super mutants for a damn loop with my axe. It takes at least three of them ganging up on me to make it even remotely an even fight. And even then, it really isn't.

P.S. Watch out for behemoths though, those things are nasty. I kited one for like ten minutes with my unlimited laser rifle, lol. Those suckers you do NOT want to ever ever be in melee range with!

I guess melee dex fighters aren't possible?

Back
Top Bottom