Fallout 4 - Can swallow you

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Christopher Byrd (The Washington Post) has reviewed Fallout 4:

Fallout 4 is a game that can swallow you whole. Just give it time.

Bethesda Game Studios makes games that can swallow you whole. I once traded in their fantasy epic The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (2002) because I was too engrossed in it. For almost a month, I played it like it was my job, averaging at least eight hours a day. It was the first game I ever dreamt about regularly. I had never had to sever myself from a game before so I felt spiritually dirty the day I left it at GameStop.

[...]

The more you become involved in the game’s political factions whose interests lie in opposing directions, the more compelling it becomes. Fallout 4 didn’t click for me until close to 30 hours in when the perks I unlocked for my character started to powerfully gel. I began to sink into the cozy logistics of devising micro and macro goals for my character such as thinking about what unexplored area to visit next or speculating on how far I might carry an allegiance before I betray it.

[...]

Fallout 4 is best appreciated over time. Play it for ten hours and the game will likely feel underwhelming. Play it for fifty then see if you can stop yourself from playing it for fifty more.
More information.

I always like games that get stronger the more you play. I usually enjoy the beginning of a game and then get bored unless the story or character building is top notch.

Trying to finish Divinity Original Sin Enhanced edition now. The story and battles bored me too much after the 50 hour mark in the original game. Enjoying it right now but I have played only 30 hours or so.

I finished Wasteland 2 the first time around because I really enjoyed the setting and story. Will also play the enhanced edition. Side note: I gave a lot of money to the WL2 kickstarter so that may have clouded my judgement :)

Morrowind still remains my favourite Bethesda game to date, and seeing such comparisons to that is very encouraging.

I get the feeling a lot of reviews are judging the game with previous outings in mind anyway. And that doesn't matter to me. If the experience is great, then I'm not bothered if it's been done before.

i havent finished any of the big names yet. (disappointing)
maybe Wl2 will be the one. fingers crossed
or maybe im too weird for this stuff . too much content , too weak of a hook , immersion

Play it for ten hours and the game will likely feel underwhelming. Play it for fifty then see if you can stop yourself from playing it for fifty more.

Absofrigginlutly

Morrowwind, Skyrim, Fallout Vegas all have over 200 hours (each). I didn't finish the storyline of Morrowwind till my third playthrough. And that play through was devoted soley to playing the main story line. I have 10 hours in F4 and I'm still in Concord with only the museum explored. I hardly understand crafting. I'm level 4 but with no perks allocated yet. I'm trying what to figure out what to do with the power armor (take it to my base?). I just got a lot of stuff to do and I'm loving it. I see another 200 hour game in my future.

Take the armour to your base, take the core out and just hide it somewhere, and never look back. The combat armour itself is overpowered in this game, the power armour is just flat out ridiculous. Don't use it.

VANS is very much like the witcher sense, so if you take that perk you can have a red path that leads you exactly to your objective, just like in the Witcher. You do have to turn your pip-boy red though, otherwise it's a green path :D

Of course, Jenny would have several more outfits to wear in Fallout instead of the one that comes with the game and the one that you get as free DLC in W3.

I must say I am enjoying Fo4 more now than I did in first 6 hours. Now that I have fully figured out crafting, tweaking my weapons is fun. Overall the game is still a bad RPG but at least it is still keeping me playing.
I just play it like any aRPG and I am not expecting anything more. Collect loot, upgrade weapons, go murder more enemies and get their loot.

Last edited:
VANS is very much like the witcher sense, so if you take that perk you can have a red path that leads you exactly to your objective, just like in the Witcher. You do have to turn your pip-boy red though, otherwise it's a green path :D
That's probably the only perk I won't take. Although the compass does show you the direction of your target and is easily ignorable if you're determined to explore (and loot!) everything, at least doesn't hold your hand till the very end in many cases.

For example, "liberating" certain town means killing just one certain mob although the place is swarming with ghouls - but since the major target is a ghoull stalker you have to explore the whole area to find that particular one as it's not shown on the compass or somewhere else.

You can totally turn the compass off in settings, for those that don't want their hand held.

Nah, got used to completely ignore it.
Although… Playing like that led me too much to the west where my arse got wiped with a single hit from some superhard mobs (not deathclaws, I just wish those were deathclaws!). :D

For me, heading east is the problem. I'm fine in the west up near Sanctuary, but if I head east towards the ocean, I start hitting meanies that one shot me. What is nice is that the quest givers have no qualms on sending you straight to a place you will die a horrible death :)

For me, heading east is the problem. I'm fine in the west up near Sanctuary, but if I head east towards the ocean, I start hitting meanies that one shot me. What is nice is that the quest givers have no qualms on sending you straight to a place you will die a horrible death :)
That is why you have access to Power Armor. I cleared areas east with use of that and liberal use of Minigun (since I found another one and got enough ammo for it).

Going anywhere near water is a bad idea until you are like level 10 plus, imo. I never play games with sound on unless it is absolutely needed, and in this game it is a must, you usually get plenty of warning before being attacked if you are paying attention. Be careful if you chose to flee, as that can always lead to more issues....cardio and a clear exit strategy are a must!

Back
Top Bottom