The Pillars of Earth - First Video Insights

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Daedalic released some video footage for the Adventure The Pillars of Earth:

England, 12th century: Philip the monk becomes Prior of the small abbey of Kingsbridge. At the same time, a boy called Jack is raised by his outlawed mother in the woods. His apprenticeship as a stonemason paves his way to become a great architect. Soon, his steps lead him to Kingsbridge where he will build one of the greatest cathedrals England has ever seen. Aliena and Richard have to survive on their own, after the sibling's father, the Earl of Shiring, has been incarcerated and murdered. Aliena vows to make her brother the rightful heir and Earl of Shiring. Like Jack, their way leads them to Kingsbridge. Aliena puts her expertise as a tradeswoman to good use, supporting the cathedral's construction and falls in love with Jack. But Kingsbridge and its people are in grave danger. Philip's rivals, Bishop Waleran and Wiliam, a vengeful noble rejected by Aliena, see the town and its rise to importance as a thorn in their flesh. They want to see Kingsbridge burn.

The game-adaption of the world-bestseller "The Pillars of the Earth" is the first co-operative project of Daedalic Entertainment and Bastei Lübbe. This game will be more than just complementary media to the book and will instead retell the story in a new, interactive way. A team of about 20 people works to create a multi-platform adaption of this bestseller. The writers are also in contact and co-operation with the Follett Office and Ken Follett himself. Daedalic is the only studio at the time adapting such an epic reading-experience into an interactive format.
The game itself will be released in 2017, at the same time the third novel of the Kingsbridge-Series will be published. The game will be internationally available for PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, Xbox One and mobile devices.
More information.

I read this years ago. There's a LOT of interesting Medieval history about average normal people in their daily lives, and technology from the times. For instance, they scratched into pallets of plaster to do the church design drawings, as paper was very expensive and they could just reuse the plaster.

The book overall is a fast read and fun, but becomes a hugely melodramatic soap opera, full of crazy coincidences and enormous amounts of historical things happening to every character. Pretty cool overall, just don't expect great literature.

Love the book. TV series is awesome also. Sequel World without end is also good. Very interested in this game.

I concur what has been said about Pillars of Earth here. The catch is that it offers an ordinary perspective to medieval life. But like Ovenall said above, it ain't "great literature." The book begins loosing it's edge towards the end, but in a way it delivers a satisfying ending. Not something I'd describe as "must read", but if you enjoy historical novels, its definitely worth of reading.

The mini series was adapted quite faithfully. Ofcourse a lot of minor stuff had to be cut, but imo the book has so much going on that the story did not really suffer from it. And a special note to Deadwood fans. Ian Mcshane gave a masterfull performance as Waleran Bigod. :)

Not sure i like the art style, looks like a comic book. Maybe it would grow on me though and its unique looking.

It has potential, but the art cant match the best at all (for example, its heavily inferior compared to Memoria, Daedalic's masterpiece).

I dont like simple comic-style characters. Well, they have time to work on them.
But I hope that Aliena is unifished and placeholder. It would be better to make her look closer to Hayley Atwell (as Archangel pointed out).

One of my most favorite books, don't know how you play the game without following the script

Back
Top Bottom