Satellite Reign - Localisation Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Version 1.06 introduces a lot of new languages for Satellite Reign:

v1.06 Update! Localisation—French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian and Czech!

26. November - Mitch
After a long wait—longer than anticipated—Satellite Reign's localisation update is finally available!

In the time since the last update, we've moved to a new version of Unity, fixed several AI, navigation and mission bugs, and started altering systems in preparation for multiplayer—so things took longer than expected. We apologise for the long delay.

And—with great timing—the Steam Exploration Sale is also underway, so Satellite Reign is currently at its lowest ever price with 40% off!

For now, we're hard at work to bring co-op multiplayer to Satellite Reign. We'll also be updating the Nightly branch with the multiplayer build in the coming weeks so people can try it out and stress-test it, so we'll make another announcement once that is available.

Thanks again for your patience. We hope you're enjoying the game!
More information.

Seems there is still no active pause in this game, so I think I will continue to pass on it.

They had low sale number, how are they able to keep working on it?
The low sale number is sad, the game seems awesome. I might need to get it now that it is 40% off.

Uff, just found this on steam forums:
More of a question than feedback. The news thread mentions a move to a new version of Unity, among other things. Is 1.06 on that new version of Unity ? And also will this update to the engine, improve fps ? as I remember only getting 40-50fps in game a couple of months ago on a 5930k @ 4.3Ghz, gtx980 SLI, 16Gb 2666mhz ram.
And the answer was:
Build 1.06 is on the 5.2 version of unity 1.04 was on 5.1. It should provide a small improvement Unity quotes 10 to 20% improvement.

I think I am going to pass on buying afterall, my PC is nowhere near strong enough to get good FPS with this unoptimized game. This probably explains low sales.

Do you need a high framerate for a game like this?

I have an old PC, and while I indeed struggled with frame rates with the first playable versions (during early access), since the "final" release I have played the game without any issues of notice on that front. I'm playing at 1680x1050, and I either have things on max or near that (I probably had to turn shadows down a notch, like I do with most games).

Also, the game is a blast to play.
You are dropped on an open map, and you pretty much can do as you please. Want to tackle the main objective of a certain zone right away? Sure, you can do that (although it will be extremely hard, and a bit suicidal). You can, for example, attack/infiltrate certain security buildings to reduce the surveillance/delay response times when you go to the main objective, you can go to R&D buildings to steal technology/upgrades, you can rob banks, to fund your costs, and many more things, all which will make you either more powerful, or will reduce the opposition that you will face when you tackle you main objective.

Also, when it comes to objectives/missions, you can pretty much play as you want: you can go at it as an action RTS game where you go, guns blazing, and use cover to protect yourself, and you have action-oriented gameplay (although when you start off, this may be a bit harder to pull when you go for well protected areas, but as you improve, you can totally go for it), you can do it stealthy, in which you try to avoid patrols, hack security cameras, maybe take enemies out with either silencers, or from a distance with sniper riffles, among other things.

For those worried about not having a pause button, besides the game not being particularly fast paced, in the default settings both you and the enemies normally take quite a few hits to kill (especially when you and the enemies have shields, and armour), so you can totally respond in combat without any major problems. Also, not only there's an upgrade that adds a slow-mo ability that temporarily greatly reduces the speed of the action, which pretty much functions as a pause function, but also apparently in a recent update they added an option where you can start the game with this slow-mo ability available from the beginning.

This game ended up being one of my favourite of the year. I'm hoping more people will give it a chance in the future, since while the game had very positive reviews, not many people seem to have played it.

Mike Diskett, the lead designer of the game, was formally from Bullfrog Productions (where he worked on the Syndicate series, Theme Park, …), and one of the founders of Mucky Foot Productions (Startopia, Urban Chaos).

"they added an option where you can start the game with this slow-mo ability available from the beginning."

this is a pause button you wanted Capt. Huggy Face.

Satellite Reign is a very good game. I like it a lot.

"they added an option where you can start the game with this slow-mo ability available from the beginning."

this is a pause button you wanted Capt. Huggy Face.

Satellite Reign is a very good game. I like it a lot.
Well, technically it's still not a pause function, it's a "let's slow the hell down everything that's going on to a point where things are barely moving, while your guys are able to move a little less slower than the enemies, so you can give them orders or change targets". :biggrin:

But yeah, it's a really good game. I still can't believe they were able to pull it off with a team of mostly 5 guys, with an extremely small budget. Easily, one of the few Kickstarter campaigns I backed were the end result not only met my expectations, but easily surpassed them.

I have an old PC, and while I indeed struggled with frame rates with the first playable versions (during early access), since the "final" release I have played the game without any issues of notice on that front. I'm playing at 1680x1050, and I either have things on max or near that (I probably had to turn shadows down a notch, like I do with most games).

Also, the game is a blast to play.
You are dropped on an open map, and you pretty much can do as you please. Want to tackle the main objective of a certain zone right away? Sure, you can do that (although it will be extremely hard, and a bit suicidal). You can, for example, attack/infiltrate certain security buildings to reduce the surveillance/delay response times when you go to the main objective, you can go to R&D buildings to steal technology/upgrades, you can rob banks, to fund your costs, and many more things, all which will make you either more powerful, or will reduce the opposition that you will face when you tackle you main objective.

Also, when it comes to objectives/missions, you can pretty much play as you want: you can go at it as an action RTS game where you go, guns blazing, and use cover to protect yourself, and you have action-oriented gameplay (although when you start off, this may be a bit harder to pull when you go for well protected areas, but as you improve, you can totally go for it), you can do it stealthy, in which you try to avoid patrols, hack security cameras, maybe take enemies out with either silencers, or from a distance with sniper riffles, among other things.

For those worried about not having a pause button, besides the game not being particularly fast paced, in the default settings both you and the enemies normally take quite a few hits to kill (especially when you and the enemies have shields, and armour), so you can totally respond in combat without any major problems. Also, not only there's an upgrade that adds a slow-mo ability that temporarily greatly reduces the speed of the action, which pretty much functions as a pause function, but also apparently in a recent update they added an option where you can start the game with this slow-mo ability available from the beginning.

This game ended up being one of my favourite of the year. I'm hoping more people will give it a chance in the future, since while the game had very positive reviews, not many people seem to have played it.

Mike Diskett, the lead designer of the game, was formally from Bullfrog Productions (where he worked on the Syndicate series, Theme Park, …), and one of the founders of Mucky Foot Productions (Startopia, Urban Chaos).
Maybe I will need to try the "demo" first to see how well it plays with my PC and then get it if FPS is good.

Great game, really sad if their sales are poor, they deserve to be able to keep working on this franchise. Just thinking about a sequel with bigger scope and more varied surrounding etc. makes me happy.

Back
Top Bottom