Bard's Tale IV - Update and New Studio

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Kickstarter page for The Bard's Tale IV brings us news on the new studio in New Orleans a short pre-production update and news that The Bard's Tale classic trilogy is now available to backers (in emulated form only at the time).

During the initial Kickstarter campaign we were happy to announce the re-release of our Bard's Tale Classic Trilogy of games to our backers, coming in both emulated and remastered forms. We have now made the emulated version available to all applicable backers – if you're getting The Bard's Tale IV in any form with your pledge, that's you!

This release contains the original DOS versions running in DOSBox, and includes a custom launcher to make playing the games easy. Through the launcher, you can also do things like change graphics filtering to fit your perfect definition of "nostalgia", and transfer characters between the games without the hassle of swapping floppies.

To download it, visit your Rewards page after logging into your backer account, and look for the "Downloads" button on your specific reward that includes the Classic Trilogy. And if you haven't yet, now's a great time to register for your Bard's Tale IV backer account so that you will be able to access more rewards as they become available.

Speaking of rewards, Old Skuul and Rebecca Heineman are still hard at work on getting the remastered version of the classic Bard's Tale games available. We will let you know when we are ready to share them with you, but so far they are going well as we've shown in previous updates, with many new features taking shape, including updated music.
More information.

Nice but I think I will wait for the remastered version. Don't think I will replay Bard's Tale 2. That was the hardest and most frustrating game I have ever played.

Can't even remember if I played it at all.
Will I buy, try, maybe remember?

Probably not.
I'm allergic to any kind of grinding. It's 2015. It's not 1915. In 2015. I expect seeing grinding only in MMOs and phonegames where servers or crap platform can't store enough of different content.

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but what exactly are the differences between the DOS version and the "remastered" version?

Edited for grammar

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but what exactly are the differences between the DOS version and the "remastered" version?

Edited for grammar

I think it is basically just supporting modern resolutions (e.g., 1080p). But it is just going to be upscaling; they're not necessarily going to redo any of the art, additional bugfixing, or anything that was done for Beamdog's BG and IWD Enhanced Editions.

I believe the remastered version has higher resolution graphics and newer interace (such as auto-map).

Edited for grammar

The remastered version of Bards Tale 1 anyhow is also based on the Apple IIgs version instead of the DOS PC version. The IIgs version was WAY better so that alone makes a huge difference..

Nice but I think I will wait for the remastered version. Don't think I will replay Bard's Tale 2. That was the hardest and most frustrating game I have ever played.

BT2 was the first crpg I played. It was difficult, but I loved it.

Pibbur who will try the remastered version, but probably won't play it for long.

BT1 was one of the first rpgs I ever played. I have fond memories of it on the c64, although all I ever really did was create various parties and wander around the city until I was killed. Never got anywhere with it at all really. Hey, I was young! :) maybe with the remastered version I'll give it another go....

Back
Top Bottom