Fallout 4 - Review, New Beta and a Mystery

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Patricia Hernandez (Kotaku): Fallout 4 Is Not The Fallout Fans Fell In Love With

[...]

Fallout fanatics might say that the franchise lost its way a long time ago, when Fallout was turned into a shooter with more “mainstream” appeal. But if you ask an average fan, they’d probably say that Fallout games are supposed to be rich, choice-driven games where you have the freedom to role-play as you wish. That description could more or less apply to Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. But that’s not what you’ll find in Fallout 4. The newest Fallout is more of an action game than even its immediate predecessors, and as such, Bethesda has streamlined many of the elements that used to define Fallout as an role-playing series.

Gone are the extra attributes known as skills, which players could use in novel ways while exploring the wasteland. In Fallout 3, for example, if you had a high enough explosives skill, you could defuse a bomb in the middle of a city, thus saving everyone. Or, you could choose to detonate it. The entire questline was only available to you if you built your character in a certain way, and while that’s a design that locks some players out from experiencing a rad thing, it did give a sense that how you built your character actually mattered. For a role-playing game, that’s pretty important. The combination of skills folding into perks, along with the lack of level cap in Fallout 4, means that your character build no longer matters in the way that it used to. You start out OK at most things, and eventually, you’ll be a god at everything. Especially combat-oriented things.

[...]
New Beta 1.2.37 is out on Steam.

Gamespot: A mystery structure can be found down by the sea.

More information.

Frankly i dont mind the dumbing down of skills/perks, the way it was done in Fallout 4 was masterful.

Yes, the skills/perks aren't an issue to me either. Also, the good vs. selfish/evil conversation choices have been around for ages. Very few games do nuanced conversation trees well, and in an open world setting I suspect it's hard to make those choices matter significantly.

Frankly i dont mind the dumbing down of skills/perks, the way it was done in Fallout 4 was masterful.
masterful? Lol
You do know that new system makes everyone good at everything. That is like basic definition of dumbing down.
In F1 and F2 having low stats meant something and so did having low skills. Here? you use everything proficiently, and even with 1 Str you can still carry inhuman amounts of gear while Int 1 characters can do stuff real world morons could never do.

masterful? Lol
You do know that new system makes everyone good at everything. That is like basic definition of dumbing down.
In F1 and F2 having low stats meant something and so did having low skills. Here? you use everything proficiently, and even with 1 Str you can still carry inhuman amounts of gear while Int 1 characters can do stuff real world morons could never do.

and the endless nonsensical debate will continue over minutia of what you mention. Its Fallout 4, not Fallout 1, not Fallout 2, not Fallout Tactics, not Fallout 3, not Fallout New Vegas, not Fallout for mobile phones. Like those systems better? Go play them.

Having played Fallout 4, the best I can say for it is 'mediocre'

For me its a good game as it has kept my attention but its not a great game. Theres plenty of things I just shake my head at while its the exploring in a post apocalyptic settings that has kept me playing as they did that part well.

I finished the game today (119 hours, level 48, pro Railroad & pro Minutemen).
IMO its a very good sandbox and exploration game and a fun Action RPG (I rarely used VATS).
It is not a hardcore RPG, but it has quite a few choices with consequences and character building options (You can't maximize all skills until level 50).

Like in Fallout 3 there is too much 'stuff' lying around and there are too many things to loot. I never used a power armor after the first quest, because I think you are already too powerful.

The world design is very creative and sometimes I just had to laugh about some side stories or fun locations.

The radiant quests are fun at first but get repetitive after a while. Crafting and town building is a good money and time sink.

Some NPCs and party members come with some interesting side stories and quests.

Last edited:

What they did sounded interesting to me - at first.
Now when I'm close to the game end…
Where I found almost all pokemon…
Where instead of skills and proper perks I got more than a hundred of boosts through collectible magazines (basically covers)…

Not only it wasn't done masterful, it, in a way, stinks.

Sorry. They did go better direction with other things, but skills removal and switching to hoardable collectibles IMO wasn't one of them.

This doesn't mean the game sucks. The game is worth every penny.
If you're open for new stuff, you'll love it.
If you hated FO3 or Skyrim for any reason, you'll love FO4.
If you wanted FO2.5 - just keep in mind this game is not like that and all will be good.

I like FO4. It is already higher om my list than any other Fallout game. I'm about 70 hours into the game. I play with Experience Reduction mods. I'm level 18 and there's a whole lot of the game still ahead of me. Such games meant to be played at slow pace. I wish developers added an option to reduce games experience at will, so I don't have to use mods.
Rushing to the highest possible level effectively kills any RPG game when it has been reached, imho.

I usually grow bored once I can't level anymore. I tend to like the lower levels in the game. Luckily I am still fairly low in Fallout (just made 19 and at 75 hours).

I don't mind the mechanics that much. I do not like being able to do everything though - totally destroys the sense of making tough choices. But I expect I will be done with the game before that happens. Then I will try another path.

For the most part I am mirroring HiddenX's summary. Although I think I will end up with Institute and Minute Men for this play through.

and the endless nonsensical debate will continue over minutia of what you mention. Its Fallout 4, not Fallout 1, not Fallout 2, not Fallout Tactics, not Fallout 3, not Fallout New Vegas, not Fallout for mobile phones. Like those systems better? Go play them.

What is wrong with people expecting a next game in the series on improving, or holding onto, a concept that previous ones DID handle masterfully and this one threw away like garbage. And one of the characteristic trademarks of the series.
I'm usually a "junkie" when it comes to exploring dialogue options in rpg's, and New Vegas was enough to drive you mad with how stat/perk/skill checks played a role in conversations and contributed to your sense of "character".
They did a great job with weapon customization, but lobotomized rpg aspect of this game.

I also tend to grow bored once leveling is no longer significant. Regarding being good at everything, I have simply decided to limit myself, at least in the use of weapons, to the same as I had in FO3. Only melee weapons and rifles. I don't like the big guns much anyway. And I also never use the power armor.

FO4 is not a bad game,does it have it flaws of course it does,but I am having fun playing it.To me the only thing I don't care for is the city building aspect of the game,to tedious imo.....

I also tend to grow bored once leveling is no longer significant. Regarding being good at everything, I have simply decided to limit myself, at least in the use of weapons, to the same as I had in FO3. Only melee weapons and rifles. I don't like the big guns much anyway. And I also never use the power armor.

That may be their flaw. A good design that falls apart around level 30 or so as your character gains so much power that the "fun" in choosing alternatives decreases. And maybe is unavoidable as long as they maintain such an open-ended world structure.

More generally:

As for perks, I really don't give a rat's behind honestly. It's mostly just a reorganization and combination of the old perks and skills. I said on another forum that instead of what RPG players are used to in skills, that is skills defining <Action>, they are now combining them into something that could be described as <Effect> encompassing both action *and* effect. It's a new system and has it's merits and flaws. I don't think it could be objectively called a "dumbing down". Just different.

What is wrong with people expecting a next game in the series on improving, or holding onto, a concept that previous ones DID handle masterfully and this one threw away like garbage. And one of the characteristic trademarks of the series.
I'm usually a "junkie" when it comes to exploring dialogue options in rpg's, and New Vegas was enough to drive you mad with how stat/perk/skill checks played a role in conversations and contributed to your sense of "character".
They did a great job with weapon customization, but lobotomized rpg aspect of this game.

because its like a dog chasing its own tail, thats why.

a masterful dumbing down. would love to put my hands on it but i've spent too much money already.. will have to wait until i make more money.

Having just gone past 100 hours played, all I can say is that Fallout 4 is mediocre at best compared to it's previous incarnations.
Sorry but I don't think so.
Compared to FO3, it's brilliant.
Compared to FO1/FO2 however, it's still good, just not *that* good.
Compared to FO:NV it somewhere nearby (removed some good things added a few new though, removed keychain but added settlements).

Which means - if one never played FO games, IMO should buy all except FO3.

Back
Top Bottom