Fallout 4 - Was it really worth the Hype? @ Techpipe

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Techpipe asks "Was Fallout 4 Really Worth The Hype?" - They are critisizing the sandbox structure of the game and that it's very much like Fallout 3 all over again:

[...]

Note: Unintentional spoilers ahead.

Fallout 4 is a big and ambitious game with plenty of things to do, there are tons of side quests and settlements to liberate and create. However, amidst all of this, the game never really becomes what it should be. Its tediously long loading times even on most powerful PCs that exceed the recommended system requirements, and utterly poor frame-rates are somewhat unforgiving. But considering how those are just technical flaws, we can forgive them.

What we can’t forgive is Bethesda’s attempt of selling us the same game with a new coat of paint; don’t get me wrong, it worked really well up until the release of Fallout: New Vegas, but Fallout 4 doesn’t feel different at all. Yes, we finally have a protagonist who can speak but we also have a very monotonous feel to the game. For instance, if you are doing side quests for any faction, you will soon come to realisation that the only new thing these side quests will offer you is the location. Let’s assume if you are doing side quests for Preston from the Minutemen, all the given side quests will be getting rid of raiders at settlements or getting rid of super-mutants.
[...]
More information.

Who is "we"? Personally I don't have problems with loading times, performance and the gameplay.

I think the Fallout 4 hype is steadily subsiding and many people are realising that it wasn't all that great. I think that it will be forgotten pretty fast compared to Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Also Lev, what kind of PC do you have if you don't mind? I'm asking because mine is a $2000 gaming PC with Fallout 4 installed on an SSD and it still has very long loading times, around 20 seconds at times. It's a very common and discussed issue with Fallout.

We'll never look at junk collection in video games in the same way. ;)
Why, I was in my friend's house the other day, looking at his kitchen table and thinking of how much metal, wood and glue I'd get if I tried to disassemble it.

Also Lev, what kind of PC do you have if you don't mind? I'm asking because mine is a $2000 gaming PC with Fallout 4 installed on an SSD and it still has very long loading times, around 20 seconds at times. It's a very common and discussed issue with Fallout.

Around 20 seconds at times sounds about right for me as well. It really doesn't bother me at all though. I'm enjoying the game a lot and the loading screens only happen when you transit to or from an internal map, I don't think it's a big deal.

and it still has very long loading times, around 20 seconds at times.

I don't get it. If I zone in some building or dungeon it takes about 10-20 seconds, alright, but then I have 30 or 45 minutes of uninterrupted fun. What's wrong with it?
But that's was not my point actually. My point was that not everyone has problems with loading times or performance or gameplay. Saying that "we" have these problems is incorrect. "We, excluding Lev," will be more accurate :)

I think the Fallout 4 hype is steadily subsiding and many people are realising that it wasn't all that great. I think that it will be forgotten pretty fast compared to Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

It has the best engine yet and most sales. I think modders will make sure it is not forgotten.

It also has long loading times on my PC which only has a standard 7200 rpm HDD :D

There is always a segment that rags on Bethesda games, but I have always enjoyed them. Fallout 3 got much more flack than Fallout 4 has, and yet I have to say Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games ever. People also rag on Bethesda for not changing their formula much between games, but as other well liked games like Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin don't exactly re-invent the wheel either.

No, this article just panders to those of you on here that have that feeling.

This article is spot on.

I've had my fun with the game and squeezed around 60 hours of gameplay out of it, but it's yet another Bethesda game that I won't see its ending because of how dull and redundant it is, and because of how poorly written is its storyline.

Lately Bethesda doesn't fail to disappoint, but it's not their fault at this point. You know the saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice…". It's very likely the last Bethesda product I've purchased, and only thanks to the fact that I had some spare cash on my Steam wallet from a lucky item sale.

They'll have to try much harder if they want to take a GotY award the same year that The Witcher 3 is released. Like a zillion times harder. The two games aren't comparable, not only because they play differently, but because the feeling is that one was made by best-selling writers, and the other by children with pencils.

And next year is Mass Effect: Andromeda's and Cyberpunk 2077's year, so Bethesda better wait for 2017 to be a mediocre year in gaming and hope to be the best of the mediocre with their new game.

I can't say much more than what has already been said by Techpipe. It wasn't worth the hype, not in a thousand years. It was a good shooter with gimmicky VATS mechanics and cool bullet/impact physics, and nothing of a RPG. At best, it was a decent game.

About 20 hours in now and it's just not clicking with me like New Vegas did. Part of the problem might be cuz the weapons I'm finding suck ass (no cheating/hints here). I like the building tho, so maybe things will get better as I progress.

Clearly, you're underestimating modding community Giovanni.
Once mods kicks in, I bet we'll see a lot of ...interesting ways... of what to do with your settlers. :p

And next year is Mass Effect: Andromeda's and Cyberpunk 2077's year, so Bethesda better wait for 2017 to be a mediocre year in gaming and hope to be the best of the mediocre with their new game.
The chance for Cyberpunk 2077 to be released in 2016 is about same chance as TToN being released in 2015 :D

"Was it really worth the Hype?"

What does that even mean? If you fall victim to Hype and then disappointed, well that would be on the person wouldn't it be? Marketing and promotion are apart of the process to sell any sort of entertainment.

The person needs to understand that and not get caught up in. No matter how good anything is or can be it is the rare occasion there isn't some sort of let down if you get caught up in it.

On the topic, IMO not only it was worth the hype, the game is worth every single penny tossed into it.
But I can't say I saw some hype anywhere at all. Compared what I saw about Titanfall, Destiny, Heartstone, Unity… FO4 had no hype at all. Except that fans of previous FO games were instantly thrilled.

Sure, I would have never preordered it if I knew at that moment there will be season pass scamware going on. But my hate for scams can't change my opinion that the game is great.

However…
I've had my fun with the game and squeezed around 60 hours of gameplay out of it, but it's yet another Bethesda game that I won't see its ending because of how dull and redundant it is, and because of how poorly written is its storyline.
For xth time. Install norespawn mod, noradiant mod and proper dialogue system mod (check Mods thread in Fallout4 section for links).
Otherwise, I understand you and would probably be in the same shoes.
I don't know why nor will ever understand why Bethesda incorporates MMOish garbage in singleplayer games. Thanks to modders, you can easily get rid of it. I don't know why there is no ingame option to switch trashmob respawns to 0.
Also, I "wasted" more than 200 hours on the game and didn't notice getting bored of dull/redudant stuff like died of boredom in AC:Unity or FC4. Thanks to these mods that "correct" Bethesda's ideas that singleplayer games should be grindy.

Lately Bethesda doesn't fail to disappoint, but it's not their fault at this point. You know the saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice…". It's very likely the last Bethesda product I've purchased, and only thanks to the fact that I had some spare cash on my Steam wallet from a lucky item sale.
This is interesting.
In my case not only the game didn't disappoint me, it was actually a nice surprise. Why?
Unlike past games on this same engine, FO4 has less bugs in total than all of them combined with all official patches that were made by Bethesda. Sure, there are some bugs in the game, but this time, it's not bug-o-rama where practically major content a player sees is bugs, bugs and more bugs.

They'll have to try much harder if they want to take a GotY award the same year that The Witcher 3 is released. Like a zillion times harder. The two games aren't comparable, not only because they play differently, but because the feeling is that one was made by best-selling writers, and the other by children with pencils.
Absolutly have to agree on this.
FO4 IMO feels like it was designed to slap EA's cheak and their pathetic design of sidecontent in Dragon Age: Hinterlands, Bears and MMO game. After DA:Inquisition, noone expected spahish inq… Errr… The Witcher 3.

Which is, an awsome thing. More competition, more benefits for players, more better games in the future.
Which leads to your next point:

I don't think Cyberpunk will see the day in 2016., maybe it will but most probably won't.
ME4 however will be released next year and I assure you, not only because of TW3, but also because of FO4, EA can't expect praises again on the same filler disaster they provided in DA:I. They have to change something.
Was FO4 (nonexisting IMO) hype worth it? If it'll persuade EA CEO to drop thier grinder+MMO idiocy and make ME4 a singleplayer masterpiece, it definetly was.

Hype is a personal thing ... it is taking and internalizing marketing and expectations and attaching it to yourself. That is why it is different for each of us. There have been games I have allowed to build up beyond reasonable expectations in my head, only to feel deflated upon arrival - because nothing could live up to those expectations.

But the last time I had anything like that was probably 10 years ago. For Fallout 4 I expected it to be to Skyrim as Fallout 3 was to Oblivion. And I was pretty satisfied, haven't finished yet but am having fun. Good game.

I agree with Joxer. I found journalism generally prudent at best when writing about FO4. A lot of articles, but nothing announcing the best thing since sliced bread.

And if millions of people rush to read the articles they write it makes sense that they write a lot.

has very long loading times, around 20 seconds at times. It's a very common and discussed issue with Fallout.

I've recently finished Fallout 4, which I totaly loved, BUT indeed, there is one thing I really didn't liked, it was the loading time.
I also have an SSD so I usually never experience any loading time, or very fast ones, but with Fallout 4 those were around 20 sec, which starts to feel long especially since it happens QUIT A LOT.
Because on some game you have a loading time only when you change of zone on a huge open world map (too big to be loaded at once so divided in let's say 4 smaller zones) so this happens once per hour, or once every 2 hours, because you don't often change of zone. But here in Fallout 4, you have a loading everytime to enter or exit a building (I mean those locations that have an icon on the main map). Since this happens a lot, the repeating of this 20 sec waiting so often finish by being a bit annoying.

On the topic, IMO not only it was worth the hype, the game is worth every single penny tossed into it.

Yeah it's matter of tastes and opinions at that point. I find your quotes to my post have all acceptable reasoning behind them, even those who disagree.

It also depends on how one perceives the hype. I am not much into reading previews or articles and I still perceived the heavy "Fallout 4 will be the greatest thing" scent in the air. It's not only that, Bethesda is globally acclaimed for having a large fanbase and having created some of the most innovative and beautiful RPGs at the time they were released.

I just don't think Fallout 4 is homologue to the success of some of its predecesors, because when I buy a Bethesda game, that's the expectancy I have.

That said, your views are all valid, and there's nothing wrong with them.

Back
Top Bottom