Fallout 4 - Five Biggest Flaws

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Pixel Gate UK discusses what they feel are Fallout 4's five biggest flaws.

fallout_4_art_dog-588x250.jpg

For everything Fallout 4 does well, there’s numerous elements that fall flat. It’s not that Fallout 4 is a bad game, far from it, but it’s certainly not a perfect game. Numerous sites and critics have seemingly overlooked some of Fallout 4′s biggest flaws. After over 100 hours put into the game, these are the five biggest faults of Fallout 4.
More information.

More information.

Ouch this article pretty much puts the boots to F4 as a RPG and leaves it bleeding in the gutter. But 12 million units sold so far kind of guarantees this will be the new standard. Who was it that said "quantity has a quality all it's own"?

Last edited:
12 million sold is a testament to the modding community around Bethesda games. They have an in-built audience due to previous games and modders familiarity with the engine. The modders will all migrate to the newest version of Gamebryo to do some modding stuff. Even my brother is keen to do some 3d modelling again.

I don't think this game will become the default standard for rpgs as a genre because other rpg companies have in-built audiences with there own expectations of what an rpg is. Other companies won't be able to acquire Bethesda's audience because a)brand loyalty b)modding c)fear of losing there existing audience. Its the wow conundrum all over again. Trying to build a better mmog fails time and again.

12 million sold is a testament to the modding community around Bethesda games. They have an in-built audience due to previous games and modders familiarity with the engine. The modders will all migrate to the newest version of Gamebryo to do some modding stuff. Even my brother is keen to do some 3d modelling again.

I don't think this game will become the default standard for rpgs as a genre because other rpg companies have in-built audiences with there own expectations of what an rpg is. Other companies won't be able to acquire Bethesda's audience because a)brand loyalty b)modding c)fear of losing there existing audience. Its the wow conundrum all over again. Trying to build a better mmog fails time and again.
There was no 12 million sold. They shipped 12 million to sell but they are not sold already.
From what I read on Codex, game is selling less than Skyrim.

I don't really agree with the article. In fact, I flat out disagree with 3 out of 5 flaws:
- The voice acting never bothered me (I've played through it as both a male and female).
- I found the character building quite interesting.
- I consider the story (and writing) vastly superior to Fallout 3. Sure, F: NV beats them both, but Obsidian having better writing than Bethesda is hardly shocking news.

One thing that I personally found annoying when I played it the second time was the lack of unique weapons and armor. The loot system is generally good, but only up to a certain point, where you feel you've seen it all. There are a few unique weapons and armor, but only a handful are worth getting.

Silver the thing is though if you can't release a "quality" product out of the gate but rely on the mod community to fix you game after the fact then there is some thing just fundamentally wrong with the whole picture.
I might not be quite so down on this idea except last month when I finally got around to playing Skyrim I ended up with a buggered main story line after 50h of play. I modded the game so it's my fault its buggered BUT I read every where it is so much better modded and the base UI is console crap and I only used a handful of top rated mods so it should work fine, but … No.
So while mods are fine for putting a tweek or twist to an existing game for a AAA company to rely on modders to fix their games is kind of crappy in my books.

Silver the thing is though if you can't release a "quality" product out of the gate but rely on the mod community to fix you game after the fact then there is some thing just fundamentally wrong with the whole picture.
I might not be quite so down on this idea except last month when I finally got around to playing Skyrim I ended up with a buggered main story line after 50h of play. I modded the game so it's my fault its buggered BUT I read every where it is so much better modded and the base UI is console crap and I only used a handful of top rated mods so it should work fine, but … No.
So while mods are fine for putting a tweek or twist to an existing game for a AAA company to rely on modders to fix their games is kind of crappy in my books.

Well this business strategy seems to work for them. I'm not defending them or condemning them, just trying to work out the rhyme and reason for there success. There fans for the most part seem to enjoy Fallout 4 through with some mixed feelings. I doubt the game will have the legs of Skyrim. The rpg part of there game is definitely subpar for me.

Great list, but the PC version needs a 6th item: god-awful controls/UI.

I'm with Maylander. I agreed with 2 of the author's points. It does have shitty MMO quests and the dialogue system that came with the game was pathetic. Why Bethesda didn't bother with creating a true PC UI is a mystery too. It has to be embarrassing when unpaid amateurs can do a better job with your engine than you did.

So, I modded the dialog very quickly and have even modded out some of the "Redundant AI" quests. Once the kit comes out, the rest of the AI quests will go away and the game will be perfect :D

While I enjoy the weapon and armor crafting, there does need to be more unique armors and weapons to actually find, not mod. It is rare to enjoy a weapon find because you know that your fully-modded pipe pistol does more damage.

I can't wait until the more professional modders tackle the companions. There is no way that Piper, Cait, Curie, etc., can stand next to Hoth, Vilja, Inigo and other modded companions from Skyrim. They are very simple compared to any of those.

Bethesda wins for me because of the modding. Nobody else has come close to allowing others to do what Bethesda allows with the mod kits. Until that day comes, they'll be my favorite developer.

Pretty much with Maylander and Crpgnut in what they said and the article. Mods are great but they do work best when you spend some time learning how to use them and are careful to protect your game. I almost always prefer to play the game vanilla first (except maybe a safe texture mod or two) and then play again and go more whole hog on the mod stuff.

Liked the story and writing a lot in FO4. Dialogue was meh and the companions really need to have more depth to them. Enjoyed the character building but would like more variety in items.

Still would like to see something closer to FNV and keep the main protagonist less defined (not married with a kid). But a hard line to have an open character design AND have a detailed story.

Last few games I have played the item selection was rather poor. I hope this is not a growing trend because collecting items is a pillar of RPG's.

I would have preferred the mods to weapons and armor be less powerful. I rarely bother even looking at drops now and I am totally tired of collecting everything for scrap. I don't even unlock toolboxes and similar anymore as it won't be anything worthwhile in them.

I like getting weapon and armor upgrades from drops and miss it here.

I see this as a parallel to the 'FO4 hype' discussion we just had ... And if you got too swept up in that you might have been disappointed, and if you already hate BethSoft or were looking for a new isometric turn-based game you would certainly not be happy, but I think if you entered with reasonable expectations ... It is a pretty fun game.

But yes, flawed as always.

It is what it is txa, if the game creates a lot of these types of threads, then there's a reason for that, it doesn't have to be "hate" in order for mediocre elements to come to the fore just as it doesn't have to be rabid "fanboyism" when someone actually likes something more than the consensus suggests - it tends to be the using of the two statements which bring the intellectual discussion down to unreadable levels, so, nice try, but can the adults discuss freely now, tyvm.

It is what it is txa, if the game creates a lot of these types of threads, then there's a reason for that, it doesn't have to be "hate" in order for mediocre elements to come to the fore just as it doesn't have to be rabid "fanboyism" when someone actually likes something more than the consensus suggests - it tends to be the using of the two statements which bring the intellectual discussion down to unreadable levels, so, nice try, but can the adults discuss freely now, tyvm.
Broken record. You aren't going to change anyone's behavior. There's a fair amount of people here who just don't want to ever hear anything negative about a game made by Bethesda. You have to just tune it out or take the discussion elsewhere. Just something I've learned over the course of many years.

True that. I guess it annoys me because it devalues the correct use of fanboy and the correct interpretation of pure hate. By dissolving these phrases into whitewash you allow the real genuinely troll-like haters to hide in clear sight and you allow fanboys too much liberty to con money out of people with false perspectives. A polite discussion should be obvious regardless of opinion shown in order the for the genuine oddballs to be exposed.

Back
Top Bottom