Star Wars - New Open-World RPG?

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Do we have confirmation of an open-world Star Wars RPG in the works? It seems so. It looks like an EA subsidiary is recruiting Star Wars fans for a new project.

Visceral-Featured.jpg

The cat is out of the bag, and EA developer Visceral Games has pretty much confirmed their next Star Wars title is going to be an open world action RPG. Check out the full ad below and follow this link if you’ve got the design chops for what promises to be a very complex (and awesome) job!

Heading up this project is former Ubisoft producer Jade Raymond. Joining her is Uncharted writer Amy Hennig. To say there is some power behind this game is an understatement. Those who wished for a more detailed story mode in Star Wars: Battlefront, should be smiling from ear to ear, because these two have experience with content rich games that have major story arcs.

Take a look at the opening description and tell me you are not the least bit excited:

“BRING YOUR SYSTEM GAME DESIGN SKILLS AND SAVVY AND YOUR LOVE OF STAR WARS TO VISCERAL GAMES, EMBRACING AND CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROJECT VISION IN AREAS OF HERO CONTROL/MECHANICS, AI BEHAVIORS, COMBAT/WEAPONS, CLASS DESIGN, SKILLS/PROGRESSION, ENEMY DESIGN, STORY AND BOSS ENCOUNTERS.”

Star Wars: Battlefront is a beast in digital sales. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is dominating ticket sales. The Star Wars marketing engine is spinning like a top and it will not stop anytime soon. Expect more games, more toys, and more… well… everything as long as Disney/Lucas Film can make money off licensing rights. This Geek will eat it all up until the ride is over.

The chance to play a modern tech, Star Wars RPG is mind numbing.The story-lines Visceral can borrow from are almost infinite. Can you imagine a game where you are just exploring Jakku, or Hoth, or Coruscant? Oh the possiblities, we’ll have to wait for further details. For now, off the Battlefront to play as Vader and crush some rebel scum for an hour or two…
More information.

More information.

Well on one hand I'm very exited about the prospect of another open world Star Wars game, but on the other hand it's EA, and FPS developer Visceral Games.

Ah the hope is strong in me but I feel darkness approaching.:paranoid:

Well on one hand I'm very exited about the prospect of another open world Star Wars game, but on the other hand it's EA, and FPS developer Visceral Games.

Ah the hope is strong in me but I feel darkness approaching.:paranoid:

The question is...who will they have in mind when they're making it? RPG fans? Or, as Bioshock Infinite's producer said, "frat boys"?

Even though I'm not a huge Star Wars fan myself, I'd hope they'd make it for RPG fans, but I'm definitely not optimistic.

The question is…who will they have in mind when they're making it? RPG fans? Or, as Bioshock Infinite's producer said, "frat boys"?

Even though I'm not a huge Star Wars fan myself, I'd hope they'd make it for RPG fans, but I'm definitely not optimistic.
BioWare should be given the chance to make another SP Star Wars game, but after they made the TOR MMO that is actually a single player online RPG I have doubts.

Anyway to get back on track I think it will target frat boys given that is Visceral Games target audience. But hey who knows I've been wrong plenty of times.:lol:

Last edited:
I'm not impressed.
The job didn't go to Bioware = it's not RPG.

Unless ofc EA plans to shutdown Bioware (to be honest, what takes them so long? everything else they bought is pretty much dead) and move RPG development to Viscereal..

I think that compared to whatever game comes out of this, Fo4 will look like a old school RPG.

It is probably going to be another 'open world' shooter, with some RPG sprinkles... I'd love to be wrong, of course.

Yea but it's EA. Destroying franchises since May 28, 1982.

Well, this is sort of "old news". It's been known for quite some time that Visceral is working on a Star Wars game with Amy Hennig (Uncharted writer).

It has also been known for a while that EA hired Jade Raymond to work on an open world franchise to rival GTA (Take 2) and/or Assassin's Creed (Ubi) because EA has been wanting their own guaranteed 10+ million copies per each iteration franchise as well.

It is quite doubtful that this Visceral game is going to be much of a RPG. It is more likely going to be a Star Wars 3rd person action console game for the masses.

That doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a bad game, of course. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag was great in my opinion but if EA wants a million seller then how high do we think are our chances to receive a game with more depth than a light rain puddle? Yes. Right ;) .

Visceral Games developed Dead Space 1&2 which are two of my favorite non-RPGs of all time and some of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. They're much more than just a FPS developer.

Of course that doesn't mean they can develop a good RPG, but let's be honest, Bioware hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire in that category in recent years.

Visceral Games developed Dead Space 1&2 which are two of my favorite non-RPGs of all time and some of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. They're much more than just a FPS developer.
Makes it worse then as I hated Dead Space 1&2, and couldn't even finish them. :cool:

Good for you. ;)
Yes I know poor me as I hate more games millions praise & adore.:evilgrin:

Anyway I have agree with Moriendor now. This will probably be another action adventure game that will be milked by EA & Disney with a sequel every year, or two.

Just like the Assassin Creed games… I can see it already happening.:uneasy:

It probably will, but that doesn't have anything to do with the developer.
It does as Visceral Games is probably already under contract already for two or more games. It will probably depend on how well the first game sells of course.

Anyway I'll withhold more judgment for now until I see some game footage.:)

It does as Visceral Games is probably already under contract already for two or more games. It will probably depend on how well the first game sells of course.

No, the developer doesn't make the kind of decisions you're talking about. That's all about the publisher and the suits that run it.

No, the developer doesn't make the kind of decisions you're talking about. That's all about the publisher and the suits that run it.
Yes well I'm done for today so good night JDR. All we need now is for Dart to add his two cents the thread. Anyway what happened to him is to quiet this month?o_O

Last edited:
Yes well I'm done for today so good night JDR. All we need now is for Dart to add his two cents the thread. Anyway what happened to him as has been quite this month?o_O

Not in the mood for facts eh? Oh well…sleep tight.

Hopefully you won't be having nightmares about EA and Disney. ;)

Not in the mood for facts eh? Oh well…sleep tight.
Nah it's just another useless forum debate with two sides who will never agree with each other. Now I told myself I wouldn't reply again, but why not here we go.

Your right I'm wrong.:lol:
Hopefully you won't be having nightmares about EA and Disney.
I always do my friend, I always do.:faint:

Anyway thanks for the laughs and for the late night entertainment.

Now I'm done so enjoy your victory.:celebrate:

The fear of disappointment is strong in me.

Back
Top Bottom