Black Desert - Beta Impressions

Aubrielle

Noveliste
For anyone that's been excited by the upcoming release of the MMO Black Desert Online, HardcoreGamer's beta report will be welcome news.

Black_Desert_Scene-711x400.jpg

I had the chance to spend some time in the closed beta of Black Desert Online, the new MMORPG from Korean developer Pearl Abyss. The game has been in development since 2010 and will be coming to Europe and America as a full release in 2016. The game shows a huge amount of promise.

Anyone who has seen screenshots or video of Black Desert Online will be awed by the visuals. Even on a midrange PC, with a lot of settings dialed back, the game simply looks better than any other MMO currently on the market. Its artistic design is basically High Fantasy 101, set in environments — at least in the sections of the beta that I played — that suggest the geography and flora of the Mediterranean coast. A full day and night cycle, dynamic weather, and very effective use of lighting — not uncommon in games, but rarely done so well in an MMO — bring the world to life. The photorealism brings to mind the graphics of Star Wars Battlefront in their crisp detail.

By far, the game’s character creation tool is the most powerful in any current game, genre aside. The level of photorealistic detail that can be manipulated is simply amazing and made me wish that this tool could be used in other RPGs or a game like The Sims, where creating a lifelike and distinct character is so important. It’s a huge bummer then that when tossed into the world, my character was wearing the exact same starting gear as every other in my class, which to me is one of the most immersion-breaking things an MMO can do. I get the need to start with newbie-level gear, but why not allow for some small degree of customization, especially given the tools available?

In recent Western RPGs, we’ve come sort of expect class-less characters that can be developed in any direction and with whatever combination of skills we want to use, whether or not those builds are ultimately effective. Black Desert Online sticks to a traditional class/gender/race character development model. Want to be a melee fighter with sword and shield? You will be a human male. Want to be a dual-wielding, fast attack ninja? You will need to be a female. Only six classes were available in the beta, but it may be that the final release includes more, with options for all classes to be open to both genders.
More information.

More information.

It is a soulless mob grinder, and pvp is about taking a mob grind spots from other players.

Wouldn't surprise me if gameplay sucks.... but WOW it looks good! Would be fun to try for a short while just for the graphics.

Wouldn't surprise me if gameplay sucks…. but WOW it looks good! Would be fun to try for a short while just for the graphics.

Totally. :) Maybe I'm a fool, but I think I want to get this one. It's already seduced me.

Wouldn't surprise me if gameplay sucks…. but WOW it looks good! Would be fun to try for a short while just for the graphics.

I will be trying it just for the character creation alone! I doubt I will play it even if it turns out good since I am too busy levelling up my new born daughter in a MMO called Real Life by grinding nappies :lol:

Those of you interested in pretty MMO, keep an eye on Bless as well. That also look bloody amazing.

Impressive visuals are the reason everyone wants to try it.
Honeypot.

That game was #1 reason for criticizing Sims 4 last year. Character creation in Sims games should be the most important part and while it's not bad, graphically is like we're in 2005. and not in 2015.
Totally pales compared to creation in Black Desert which is not even a life sim but just an ordinary MMO.

Gameplay must be pretty bad if it can't even get a slight mention. MMORPGs have been terrible for ages and this one will likely be the same. Pretty graphics aren't enough - doesn't matter if your character looks amazing when there's weak gameplay. This game is probably just another grinder with weak PvE supposed to be carried by PvP griefing.

Impressive visuals are the reason everyone wants to try it.
Honeypot.

Not everyone, I have zero desire to play character creation sim.

You also couldn't pay me to play or care about The Sims although I can see why joe average modern MMORPG player would lump the two together since modern MMORPGs are about as equally boring, bland, soulless, and lacking of any challenge.

Wait, she's wearing high heeled boots while standing upright on a steep tile rooftop? Another fantasy abstraction I suppose…

I got a chance to test this out and while it looks impressive and has the basis for a LOT of depth...
They will make or break this game based on how they handle the gameplay. Currently it feels stale.
Open world and crafting look amazing. Plenty of features that will be great if implemented correctly.

The sad part is that its ripe for some western publisher to monetize the hell out of it with micro transactions, RMT, and stamina/energy based system. If Trion comes near this game I guarantee a flop based on their handling of Archeage.

Many amazing things going for it but can easily be destroyed with a few bad decisions.

Interesting that you have to read to like the last paragraph to read anything about actual gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom