RPGWatch Feature - Holiday Cheer

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Sometimes Chrsitmas isn't what it is supposed to look like. It is just warm and there is no snow. Obviously everybody living on the Southern hemisphere doesn't have snow anyway, but in the more northern part of the world where Aubrielle happens to spent her time, Chrsitmas and snow does happen occasionally, but not this year. So to get some of that winter feeling, she invites you to celebrate the holidays with a list of her wintertime favorites.

My grandma had these paintings everywhere, these scenes of Victorian Christmas. Currier & Ives, Norman Rockwell, everything, up in frames and on those silly round plates with art on them. There were lots of snowy churches and horse-drawn sleighs with freshly hacked pine trees strapped to them. Men in tall hats and women in bonnets singing Christmas carols, either looking way too excited or slightly terrifying with perfectly round mouths and monstrous wax faces. She had these miniature villages, too, and she laid them out every year. A sheet of cotton went on the bottom, which was supposed to be snow. Then all kinds of little houses and churches and stores, all lit up from inside, all of them with snow on the roofs.

Everything was an ideal of an ideal. What it taught me, from a young age, was that Christmas was supposed to look a certain way. I grew up to be really bitter and cynical when I realized that life didn't work that way. Winter didn't always mean cold or snow and sometimes, if things didn't go right, Christmas ended up being just another day.

That didn't mean I lost that naive, idealistic part of me. I just learned to channel it differently.

Video games help.

This year, I thought I'd share a few titles with pretty winter scenery, or at the very least, bone-chilling cold, for those of you that need some idealized holiday cheer. So grab a mug of cider, wassail, or Southern Comfort Gingerbread Spice, and let's have our own idealized holiday.
More information.

Thanks Aubrielle, for sharing your games that bring some sense of winter to us.

15 °C here in Germany - so I need some winter games as well :)

Same here in Southern Sweden… snow is nowhere to be seen.

BTW another fun article Aubrielle :thumbsup:

Everquest 2 has some awesome snowy maps and festivities for the holidays too.

15 °C here in Germany - so I need some winter games as well :)

And I need lower temps on my side. HiddenX, please pack this 15º C up and send me as Christmas gift, I'll let you choose a Steam game as retribution :)

And Aubrielle, congratulations once more for the great article !! :)

Skyrim has some great winter settings and one reason I like it so much as I like the Nordic countryside and climate.

Few other nice winter themed games but my memory is drawing a blank on names at the moment. I often like winter settings in games though.

Meanwhile in New Hampshire in the states where we often have snow by now its raining yet again and the temperature is mild (52f or 11.11c).

Great article Aubrielle.

I do love me some winter themed RPG areas. Forochel was the area I spent the most time in in LOTRO.

An enchanting tribute to winter with a video game flavor, very nice! I enjoyed reading the article and likewise, share the fascination for icy-laden atmospheres. Thank you Aubrielle.

A couple more memorable winter moments to add to the mix:
- Exploring Gelidia in Bard's Tale III
- Listening to Kai Rosencranz' Nordmar theme whilst knee deep in Orc territory in Gothic 3. *pleasant shivers*.
- Reaching the Ice Dragon in Arx Fatalis
- Traversing the Ice Caverns (and throwing snowballs at the trolls…) in Ultima Underworld II.

Considering the heatwave in Australia recently; the mere thought of these games serves as a nice contrast for sure. :)

Yeah it was weird as hell for me to see Christmas celebrations and decorations a few weeks ago in the Philippines, at 30-35 C. To me Christmas means cold and snow.

I'm so pale, I felt like a vampire there.

So....I feellike I need to scratch a MMO fix...going to check out Final Fantasy thinks to this little post....

Thank you so much, everyone! Each and every one of you! I'm overwhelmed that I could bring you something you enjoyed, even a little bit. :)

@Nephologist: Yes! That's where you get the "Wrath of Winter" title. I used that title for-e-v-e-r. It was one of my favorite titles in any game. :)

@Rune_74: Are you already on FFXIV? If not, I desperately hope you like it. You'll have to tell me what server you're on. :)

Now thats a fun article and lots of good recommendations :)

Skyrim is indeed a wonderfull experience for anyone who years for the white xmas. I also heartly recommand Assasin Creed III. Its a fantastic feeling to run, leap or ride a horse around snowy frontier.

Also if I may add few games on your wonderfull list :)

Mafia II had 1 or 2 chapters where it was a winter time. The game actually starts when player character returns from WW2 during xmas time. Its snowing and there are christmas decorations and lights everywhere.

Gothic III should not be forgotten either! Pbs really captured the essence of winter when they were designing Nordmar.

Metal gear Solid took place in winter time in a fictional Shadow Moses island near Alaska. While large parts of the game happened indoors, there were many sections where played had to step outside freezing cold.

Hitman blood money also had a xmas themed level ("you better watch out") where player would infiltrate into a xmas party high in the mountains. Well this last entry doesn't exactly fuilfill the criteria, but hey you can dress as santa and kill naughty people. :)

Excellent suggestions, Dez! Those are all good. Until the very last minute, I had Batman: Arkham Origins on my list, since it takes place in a Gotham City decorated for Christmas, with snow blowing everywhere. ^.^

I don't mind it being much warmer than normal. I don't like the cold, nor the snow. It's nice to look at for a while, but when you have to go through it to get to work it just sucks. Especially as I'm cycling to work.

I don't mind it being much warmer than normal. I don't like the cold, nor the snow. It's nice to look at for a while, but when you have to go through it to get to work it just sucks. Especially as I'm cycling to work.

Well no wonder, my goodness. But hey, I bet you the warming trend only continues, so you'll be set, at least...:)

Back
Top Bottom