Fallout 4 - Settlements Spinoff Makes Sense

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Pixel Gate's Sean Halliday makes the argument that change is built into the Fallout universe, and that spinoffs have already been done. Settlements are no different.

Vat4lG5.png

Fallout may no longer be the RPG series it once was, but that isn’t exactly a bad thing. It’s journey from pen and paper inspired RPG, to modern action shooter, is easy to plot. Franchises change, even more so when they’re reborn and retooled for a new generation. Fallout 4 represents the biggest departure from the classic build. The core RPG elements are gone, replaced with linear stories and reactive shooting action. It’s most curious addition is settlement building, which creates a wealth of opportunity.

Spin-Offs are not a unfamiliar concept within the Fallout franchise. Fallout Tactics saw the franchise flirt with real time strategy. The much forgotten (for good reason) PS2 title Brotherhood of Steel was a brief skirmish into a top down shooter. New Vegas is the most famous spin off, mostly due to the success of Fallout 3. The franchise has even appeared on mobile devices in the shape of Fallout Shelter.

The wastelands hold plenty of potential for a whole host of ideas and spin-offs. Personally, I’m still surprised there hasn’t been a card combat title popped out. Varying levels of success, both critically and financially, may no see huge departures in the style of Tactics and Brotherhood. Spin-offs more in line with the core game, much like New Vegas, feel much more likely.

Settlements may be a optional element to Fallout 4, but their addition has a profound affect on the whole game. Every item found in Fallout 4 has some level of use with the Settlements. Teddy bears, baseballs, mugs, it all has a use. This new found value gives Fallout 4 a whole new gameplay element, the element of resource gathering in order to create.
More information.

More information.

Well I wouldn't mind playing a RTS /Settler game based on Fallout. I only say this as settlement building does not feel right the way Bethesda implemented it in Fallout 4.

As I spent many hours trying to build a settlement with the camera & controls.:mad:

Last edited:
No. Just no.
Sure, settlements were fun to a point in FO4, but honestly you can't put them as selfsufficient game without any side content.

Instead of useless "spinoff", other RPG develeopers could improve the idea. I wish we could build a castle in DA3 for example.

I will never touch Fallout 3 or 4 ever. Underrail brought back some of the fun that Fallout 1 and 2 presented.

This is a great game and a good RPG. I haven't even messed with the crafting yet. There are some missions that require it, but I'm not sure that these are necessary to continue with the game. The map is huge.

Also, Bethesda has done a great job with the game optimization, now great SLI support and the graphics look very nice at 2560x1440. The game engine, which of course feels a lot like Skyrim, is very smooth. Movement, combat, everything is very slick and polished.

It also darns your socks and lends you a 100 bucks when you're short? It's a thread about settlements and spinoffs not how great F4 is.

This is a great game and a good RPG. I haven't even messed with the crafting yet. There are some missions that require it, but I'm not sure that these are necessary to continue with the game. The map is huge.

Also, Bethesda has done a great job with the game optimization, now great SLI support and the graphics look very nice at 2560x1440. The game engine, which of course feels a lot like Skyrim, is very smooth. Movement, combat, everything is very slick and polished.

Seriously Hyperion, are you part of a Malkavian clan?

Back
Top Bottom