Grim Dawn - A Long Development Journey

Aubrielle

Noveliste
It's been a long time coming, but Grim Dawn has captured the hearts of jaded ARPG fans everywhere and now approaches its final polishing stages. HardcoreGamer has more.

Grim Dawn is an action RPG in the Diablo/Titan Quest/Path of Exile mold, but differs in a few significant areas. Players begin as one of six Base classes: Soldier, Demolitionist, Occultist, Nightblade, Arcanist and Shaman. At level 10, players may optionally add a secondary class. With 25 skill upgrades per class, splitting points between main and secondary skills and choosing which to equip to the hotbar can be daunting. All classes — including the melee classes — include some sort of magic augmentation or abilities. As in many ARPGs, most of the classes are fun and viable choices, and the diversity really comes into play when assembling a multiplayer party. The casters are very powerful; the melee classes require a little more patience, although melee combat itself feels very satisfying.​

In Grim Dawn, loot is everywhere: dropped by enemies, found in crates and barrels, in random piles and in tree stumps. It seems like every monster, zombie, giant insect, and witch is hoarding coin and potions and equipment. It sounds like heresy to complain, but there might simply be too much stuff, and a lot of it is trash that still requires at least a cursory glance. At least early on, inventory space is limited so a lot of time is spent in management. The crafting and equipment upgrade systems are excellent and most weapons and armor can be upgraded in the field by the use of gems and other found items. There are 250 crafting recipes that can be collected.
More information.

More information.

I backed this in 2012 and at that time it was supposed to have been complete by August 2013. I am glad that they are finally getting close to the end. I could have played this on Steam Early Access already but held off. Most games I just play though a single time so I wanted to wait until it was completed.

I backed this in 2012 and at that time it was supposed to have been complete by August 2013. I am glad that they are finally getting close to the end. I could have played this on Steam Early Access already but held off. Most games I just play though a single time so I wanted to wait until it was completed.
I pre-ordered it on their website on January 2010. :biggrin:
I loved their work on Titan Quest, so as soon as they announced the game, they had my money.

I can't wait to finally play it. I did play a couple of hours, during two different phases of Early Access, and the game seems like a blast to play, but I'm saving it until its "final" release.

You can play it now...it is basically done.

I recall reading the developer had a few personal problems after the funded kickstarter two years ago. Since then progress was slow but steady.

After playing the last Beta Build for a while the long wait was worth it.

Two other RPGs that had similar delays were Dead State or Age of Decadence. Man it was a long wait to finally play those two games after many years of development.
You can play it now…it is basically done.
Yes it's content complete now but still getting bug-fixes. The game should be getting a few expansions in the future also. Hopefully those don't take three years to develop.

Last edited:
I recall reading the developer had a few personal problems after the funded kickstarter two years ago. Since then progress was slow but steady.

After playing the last Bea Build for a while the long wait was worth it.

Two other RPGs that had similar delays were Dead State or Age of Decadence. Man it was a long wait to finally play those two games after many years of development.

Yes it's content complete now but still getting bug-fixes. The game should be getting few expansions in the future also. Hopefully those don't take three years to develop.

yep.

For what it's worth I have spent maybe 10 or so hours so far on it and haven't hit any bugs that I noticed.

The game is amazing as is, but I personally am hoping to see some cosmetic fixes before release...(namely, smoothing out the interface some).

I've played it a few hours already (186).

Best thing since D2.

The game is amazing as is, but I personally am hoping to see some cosmetic fixes before release…(namely, smoothing out the interface some).

I've played it a few hours already (186).

Thanks for the input y'all. I've been keeping track of Grim Dawn for years now, also wanting to wait to play it until a 1.0 release. I didn't realize Grim Dawn was deep enough to really invest 100 to 300 hours into it. No offense to it, but it just seemed sort of like a one-and-done game.

I'll have to check it out soon since I'm a huge Path of Exile fan, which I consider the best, most genuine spiritual successor to Diablo 2.

EDIT: Funny that there's a similar article about Path of Exile just recently, pointing out it also has had a many-years development only now finally reaching maturity. I consider 2015-2016 the new Golden Age of ARPGs with Diablo 3 being amazing now, Path of Exile also getting huge needed content additions, and Grim Dawn finally come to 1.0.

I really enjoy this game. I just started playing after I bought it for myself for Christmas. Just beat the final boss on Veteran today. I was expecting it to be a tough fight but I steamrolled him.

It is content complete but it seems clear that they are going to add expansions. There is no reason to not play it now, and it's on sale on Steam. All it really needs is some balancing tweaks but it plays like a game that was released 6 months ago not something in early access. Could use some better optimization as well actually, but in general it feels like a finished game.

Guess this comes after Underrail ...

I also own the game since a lot (can't exactly remember when i bought) and played it for 160+ hrs. It is amazing : nice build variety, more layers of customization and tons of shiny loot. I'm happy with it, now they are working on ultimate difficulty rebalance.
@Brumbek How is d3 amazing now? I played it since launch in all its different incarnations but i believe this will be the first season i won't play. It's the same old song : new bis set that you can aquire in 2 days then paragon farm to death. Plus that high grifts lags is horrible and never been fixed afaik.

I also own the game since a lot (can't exactly remember when i bought) and played it for 160+ hrs. It is amazing : nice build variety, more layers of customization and tons of shiny loot. I'm happy with it, now they are working on ultimate difficulty rebalance.
@Brumbek How is d3 amazing now? I played it since launch in all its different incarnations but i believe this will be the first season i won't play. It's the same old song : new bis set that you can aquire in 2 days then paragon farm to death. Plus that high grifts lags is horrible and never been fixed afaik.

Nothing to add to this, just wanted to say Welcome Aboard, They Live!

Nothing to add to this, just wanted to say Welcome Aboard, They Live!

ty sir, it's years i read my news on rpgwatch.com, i finally decided it was time to register and taking part in some discussions. :biggrin:

I played Act I about two years ago, and it was already smooth and lots of fun. I'm really looking forward to firing up the release version once I get some time next month. For my money, this looks right now like the best-delivered Kickstarter project I've backed. Development might've been slow, but Crate over-delivered on every single count (well, except speed ;) ).

Finally bought it... For anyone else on the fence, there's only 2 hours left on the 40% off Steam Winter Sale; I doubt it will be nearly as cheap again until well after launch. next month.

Engineer (Demolitionist) is the best class. I'm not biased toward them I swear.

<= Always play Engineer-like classes in games unless there is one called Vanguard.

Back
Top Bottom