Enderal - Questions and Answers

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Caleb has started a Q&A-thread for Enderal: The Shards of Order here at RPGWatch. He's helping the Enderal-devs with PR. Feel free to ask him questions about all things related to Enderal.

Thanks Caleb!

More information.

I guess a question I would like to know is what did Bethesda say last year about the game when they had a meeting with you guys?

I guess a question I would like to know is what did Bethesda say last year about the game when they had a meeting with you guys?

You love to torment me with these hard to answer questions, don't you? :biggrin:

Well I guess you are talking about the interview on the former BethBlog; Bethesda there did not show any opinion about Enderal (as they just asked questions) - though it is obvious they like SureAI as they already had interviews with them both after Nehrim and Cube Experimental.

If you want I can post a short summary of the interview here :)

When will the SureAI-team start a Kickstarter campaign to make their very own best RPG ever? :)

If you could do that I would like to read it.

I really think this will be my game of the game year. All the video's I have seen of it look great and love the new skills tree.

Also could you post a bit on here about the skills tree and how you can combine skills.

If you could do that I would like to read it.
I really think this will be my game of the game year. All the video's I have seen of it look great and love the new skills tree.
Also could you post a bit on here about the skills tree and how you can combine skills.

I actually managed to find the whole interview in english; I'll put it in the spoiler tag so that it doesn't clog up the site too much.

This week we’re talking to Johannes and Nicolas of the Sure AI modding team. Serving as the project lead and creative director, respectively, the duo from Munich are currently hard at work on their Skyrim total conversion mod, Enderal — one that last year captured ModDB.com’s Best Upcoming Mod award.
If Sure AI (www.sureai.net) sounds familiar — we’ve also highlighted them for their Fallout 3 project, Cube Experimental, as well as their Oblivion project, Nehrim

Read our interview with them below…

The Creation Kit toolset released back nearly three years ago (Feb 2012). How much “kicking the tires” did SureAI do before planning Enderal?

Johannes: Pretty much no kicking at all – we started planning Enderal — the scope, drafts of story and gameplay, a rough production plan, as good as it was possible without knowing the capacities of the CK — in October 2011, a month before Skyrim was released. Of course, the first results we got in the new engine weren’t that presentable and had to be reworked, but the actual development of Enderal started as soon as the Creation Kit was released.

How many folks are working on Enderal?

Nicolas: Altogether, we’re 14 people on the core team, of which around eight spend a lot of time on the development. Then, there are a lot of external contributors, mainly 3d artists, and, of course, voice actors and a German recording studio, 2day Productions, who help us with the localization.

For fans of Skyrim, what do you think players will appreciate most about Enderal’s world?

Johannes: Enderal has a different feeling, a different “flair” in comparison to Skyrim – which also results in it feeling more like a separate game than a mod. We spent a lot of time on the creation of an interesting world, and in total, I’d say that Enderal´s world is a little bit more “European”, especially when it comes to cities and locations. We draw a lot of inspiration from medieval places and cities in Germany and Europe in general. There’s also something hidden everywhere, be it a quest, an interesting sight or a dungeon – that altogether makes exploring Enderal a lot of fun.

What would you say is radically different about Enderal when compared to Skyrim?

Nicolas: The story and leveling/skilling mechanics. The story, because it puts, in general, more emphasis on “mature” themes — as in politics, philosophy and psychology — and the the leveling system because Enderal has no level scaling and learning-by-doing anymore. Instead, the player has to traditionally gather experience points to level up, which can be done by killing monsters, exploring, completing quests, or being witty in dialogue.

That allowed us to reward the player for a variety of accomplishments, rather than just combat. When leveling up, he (or she) then gets skill, perk, and crafting points which he can use to improve his character. The “perk system” has also been entirely overhauled — to the point that we use a custom menu coded in flash instead of the beautiful “star-menu” – and is now a mixture between a traditional class-system, which still has all the advantages of a sandbox-system.
To sum it up: While fans of Skyrim will also like Enderal, it is different. You could say that it is a traditional RPG mixed with hand-crafted design and a beautiful, open world to explore, tactical and challenging combat, and an emotional, psychological story that differs from the usual.

Can you talk about some of the goals your team set after previous projects?

Johannes: We definitely didn’t want to repeat the mistakes made in Nehrim, which basically all boiled down to two problems. First, Nehrim was, in some aspects, too ambitious for our team at that time, and sometimes we wasted a lot of time on being too perfectionistic and constantly redesigning stuff that was already done, which sometime ended up in it being worse than it was at the beginning. The results of these two problems were too little sidequests, some dead cities, major performance problems in some regions of the game and an imbalanced endgame. For Enderal, we wanted to be sure that this didn’t happen again, and though Enderal is still massive undertaking — its world being almost as big as Skyrim’s, it looks like careful planning, experience, and project plans paid off.

Are there any current features in the project that you’re particularly fond of?

Nicolas: I love the new housing system, which allows the player to craft and place furniture in his home. It was originally a nice-to-have feature, that we were certain we had to cut, but thanks to a new team member, it turned out we didn’t have to. I also enjoy the skill system that comes with a bunch of new abilities which replace the Dragon Shouts. Nothing better than freezing a zombie and then shattering him with a lightning strike called from the sky, or teleporting behind him and finish up with a backstab.

Johannes: I love to explore our world. Probably also because we added a lot of new mechanics that are designed to make exploring even more worthwhile, such as rare plants that grant permanent bonuses when consumed. And while there is no pressure to do so – we hate “grinding mechanics” – it is very motivating to climb a hill and not only be rewarded with a nice sight, but also with something truly useful to the player.

What can you say about the project’s current status? How close is it to completion?

Johannes: We always refrained from announcing concrete release dates, but Enderal is in a final stage. Our gameplay features and levels are mostly done. At the time, we’re implementing the finale of the mainquest and more sidequests. It all goes very well so far, but — by experience – there will be a lot of bugs and problems. And while it would theoretically be possible to give a calculation on how much time would still need to be spent on that, most of our team members also have other jobs or work to do, which sometimes makes it hard to calculate their “capacity”. That’s the reason we can’t plan as precisely as companies with a team of full-time employees can and why we, although we’re in a final stage, will only then announce a specific release date once we’re sure we can hold it.

Through the years, what are some of your fondest memories with the SureAI team?

Nicolas: I haven’t been with SureAI for as long as Johannes, but the resonance our new trailer produced was so much better than we anticipated, not to mention scoring the first place in the Moddb.com-elections. Thanks again to everyone who supported us! And though most of us live in Munich by now, the team meetings where everyone comes together, are always great. I really appreciate the team spirit we have, and the fact that most of us are not only colleagues, but also friends.

Johannes: Word!

From your experience creating Total Conversion Mods, what advice would you offer to aspiring game developers and modders?

Johannes: Know your own capacities. A lot — if not even most — mod projects, and I dare to say that this happens a lot of times in the industry, too, fail because they’re simply too overambitious. Focus on the core elements of your project and ensure they’re fun to play, and don’t get caught up in perfectionism. For example, there’s no sense in planning thousands of sidequests if you have only one designer who needs a month to complete one simple quest. Your mod will be stunted in its development for years and your team will dissipate, because your members can’t see any progress. Finally, stick with it. Pulling a project through always means good times and bad times, and in our experience, one major key to getting things done is, above all, discipline and continuity.

Nicolas: Especially when developing a non-commercial project, work as a team. Even if you’re in a lead position, always ensure that everyone can, and does contribute his or her own ideas, as long as they’re not out of proportion and go along well with the overall game and the project plan. Never see yourself above others and expect them to “realize your ideas”, that will make your project only as good as you are, and most likely people will start losing their motivation faster than you can say “Dovakhiin”.

Outside of your team, what modding projects inspire you (both for BGS games and other games)?

Nicolas: I just mod pretty much every game I get my hands on, which makes it hard for me to name favorites. When it comes to BGS Games, I think what the SkyUI and the SKSE team has done, is exceptional, especially since it’s so polished and bug-free, which, unfortunately, a lot of mod projects aren’t. Finally, there’s one Oblivion mod which really inspired me when I was younger, called “Ruined Tail’s Tale”. Since it’s been so long I can’t say why, but I remember that the character and the story really got me back then.

When you’re not modding, what’s your full-time career look like?

Johannes: I worked at an engineering company until 2012, when I decided to pursue a career in the videogame industry. Right now I’m studying game design, while working part-time as a game and level designer for a studio in Munich, which is currently developing Spellforce 3.

Nicholas: I did social work after school, before also starting to study game design in Munich. Right now I’m basically working full-time on Enderal, while trying to get all the university assignments done at the same time. And if we manage to go commercial as we plan, to I’ll be doing fulltime SureAI after that, as well.

What are you interests outside of modding?

Nicolas: Since modding and game development pretty much include all of my interests — writing, coding, composing music, 3d art — there aren’t that many, apart from friends, sports, and languages.

Anything else you’d like to share?

Nicholas & Johannes: Because so many people ask: Apart from professional German voice acting, Enderal will also have full English voice-acting, at least if we find enough professionals to help us with it. Also, we’d like to thank everyone who has supported us. Especially in 2014, a lot of good things happened which we never expected. So, at the risk of repeating myself: Thanks!
Thanks for interview!

As for the skill system; that is yet another long answer - hence another spoiler tag XD

Please beware though that nearly none of the english names are finalized, there always can be changes in the actual release version :)
Let's start with some numbers:

-Enderal has 3 classes: Warrior, Mage and Rogue.

-each class has 3 disciplines - Warrior: Keeper, Rage and Blade Dancer, Mage: Elementarism, Mentalism and Sinistra, Rogue: Vagrant , Infiltrator and Trickster.

-each class has 46 Memories/Skills (with most having multiple stages) - 1 basic memory for each class + 15 per discipline (as for why the skills are called memories…that has story reasons ;-))

-each of the 9 disciplines/skill trees have 2 talents, each of the basic memories also have 1 - that means there are in total 21 talents in Enderal.

These so-called talents replace the dragon shouts of Skyrim - unlike those though talents can synergize. When you are timing the use of certain talents correctly you will be able to get special and much stronger effects out of them.

As I think you know the oil+fire-synergy I'll tell you some others ;):

You still remember the Manaimplosion talent from the 1. Devblog? By combining this with a talent of the Sinistra discipline, called "Devour soul", the bound enemy suffers massive damage and health+mana is absorbed.

Another combination of Sinistra + Elementarism would be Skyfall (a thunderbolt which deals much dmg to a target) + "Entropic Blood" (basically an ability to make an undead slave): By using the bolt on the slave, the damage output of the slave rises and it explodes upon death, further damaging all enemies around it.

There are many more synergies, some of them also between talents from different classes.

Now onto some entirely new information for the class system:

Once you have spent 7 or more memory points in a discipline, this discipline will get a mention in "Class" field of your char screen (which is currently only available in german, sorry :( ) - the same is true for the second discipline in which you've spent 7 memory points; after that they are just the 2 disciplines in which you have spent the most memory points.

The reason for why this is important is simple: several disciplines are especially affine with each other - once you have spent 10 or more memory points in 2 affine disciplines you will unlock a completely new class; e. g. Assassin, which you unlock by spending 10 points in both of Trickster and Infiltrator ;-)

Which disciplines are affine to each other is sth you will have to find out on your travels through Enderal.

HiddenX said:
When will the SureAI-team start a Kickstarter campaign to make their very own best RPG ever?

Actually this is a good question - right now they are concentrating on finishing Enderal.

Afterwards it entirely depends on the doors Enderal and its publicity open for them - they just don't have the money to develop a prototype and without that it is hard to get a publisher or investor on their side (Kickstarter and Greenlight both have the same problem)
Another way they can earn enough money for this are donations - currently those are just enough to cover their ongoing expenses but if Enderal's release generates enough publicity this can change ;-)

They also have some fail-saves if nothing of this works out but they would rather not depend on them if they can.

Last edited:
I did an interview with them last year, I believe. Can't wait for Enderal. Nehrim is one of the best RPGs I've ever played - yes, it's that good. Imagine Gothic hand-craftedness meets Elder Scrolls open-world for an idea of how amazing that game is. To think it's made by a modding team is even more impressive.

Don't sleep on this game, people. Enderal will probably end up being the best RPG of 2016 if you ask me.

I did an interview with them last year, I believe. Can't wait for Enderal. Nehrim is one of the best RPGs I've ever played - yes, it's that good. Imagine Gothic hand-craftedness meets Elder Scrolls open-world for an idea of how amazing that game is. To think it's made by a modding team is even more impressive.

Don't sleep on this game, people. Enderal will probably end up being the best RPG of 2016 if you ask me.

Never tried Nehrim or followed Enderal. Reason: I didn't like Oblivion or Skyrim.

How do you think these would go over for someone who didn't enjoy the base games (Oblivion/Skyrim) very much?

Never tried Nehrim or followed Enderal. Reason: I didn't like Oblivion or Skyrim.

How do you think these would go over for someone who didn't enjoy the base games (Oblivion/Skyrim) very much?

They are more RPG than either vanilla Oblivion or Skyrim. Saying that however I've never really played vanilla of either one. By the time I join an TES game I mod the hell out of it.

For those of us wanting to plan ahead, will this require all the Skyrim DLCs or will it run off the base game?

Base game only.

Well, Nehrim and Enderal are more like the Gothic games in my opinion. Yes, there are many points of interest dotted along the map like an Elder Scrolls game, with many of them being optional, but there is a hand-craftedness to the world like the Gothic games.

It's basically like Elder Scrolls meets Gothic.

And the overhauls are *very* different than the base games. They go for more of a traditional, hardcore RPG with hand-crafted everything. Nehrim was really done exceptionally well with a level of quality that is nearly unmatched, even by professional game studios. A true labor of love.

I hated the story and some of the NPCs in Nehrim however its an excellent game when it comes to exploring etc.

Back
Top Bottom