Insomnia - Needs More Money

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In a de development status update for Insomnia we learn that they will launch a new Kickstarter campaign to raise additional funds in order to be able to finish the game.

Throughout 2015 we have spent $140.000 of our own funds additionally to $92.000 you helped us collect at Kickstarter. Believing in us and supporting InSomnia made you our heroes forever. You helped us understand we are moving in the right direction.

Currently we spend around $18.000 per month out of our own pockets and unfortunately we won't longer be able to continue these investments after this March hits the calendar. We still need at least $80.000 to complete the game without any loss in effectiveness and time so our team can release it until September 2016.

This leads us to a necessity of launching a new crowd-funding campaign for InSomnia in February to make this game come to life asap. During the next month we will also release an updated InSomnia demo for all promised platforms (including Windows, Mac and Linux) to showcase you the overall progress of the game. Expect a better level design, new guns and other 3D marvels along with the improved controls and even a global map.
With this being their current status:

• we have transfered the game to Unreal Engine 4 and produced 70.000 lines of code
  • our team has developed an internal system of 3D-model quality control and gave life to more then 3.500 game objects including the elements of architecture, characters, equipment and weapons (all models made for our previous engine Ogre3D in 2014 were rebuilt from scratch)
  • at this very moment we have finished working on 5 large and 7 middle-scale locations, 10 small levels meant for spontaneous encounters and generated quests, 2 of 3 global maps for station sectors and general global map of Object 6 as a whole
  • now we have almost twice as many of dialogs and dialog trees variations than we did before, increasing the overall word count up to 150.000 with the additional 300.000 words ready to be implemented
  • gameplay time increased up to 30-40 hours vs 15-20 which were stated initially
Other than that our team became 4 times bigger with 22 internal and 24 external developers which made us move faster and more effectively than ever before.
Thanks Morrandir.

More information.

Oops! And if they don't raise the money, I guess the original backers are just screwed! Way to hold people hostage!

Lol. They told me this was a scam and would not complete but I didn't believe them.

Ok, so let's play math....

"Other than that our team became 4 times bigger with 22 internal and 24 external developers which made us move faster and more effectively than ever before."

They raised $92,268 , and they have 46 developers ? Let us say it takes one year to finish.... $92,268 / 46 ~ $2000 developer / year. That is assuming they have no other expenses or costs, disregarding the KS tax, and all other things.

Your math is totally bogus. If you look at the site you will observe:
The MONO studio has emerged in 2010 in the city of Samara, Russia
-
I suspect their cost is significantly lower than what you suggest....

Ok, so let's play math….

"Other than that our team became 4 times bigger with 22 internal and 24 external developers which made us move faster and more effectively than ever before."

They raised $92,268 , and they have 46 developers ? Let us say it takes one year to finish…. $92,268 / 46 ~ $2000 developer / year. That is assuming they have no other expenses or costs, disregarding the KS tax, and all other things.

We don't know that those are full time developers. But yeah, it seems a bit iffy.

I've no doubt a lot of people will be losing sleep over this issue.

Definitely a game that deserves additional funds judging from the first playable prototype and now change to UE4.

Nothing new here and just shows developers should ask for what they need instead of asking for a lower amount just to get funded. Chris Avellone's wisdom was right again.

From a risk standpoint, this sounds ba... errrr, risky.

Definitely a game that deserves additional funds judging from the first playable prototype and now change to UE4.

I'm going to say I have mixed feelings. I have quite honestly not played the prototype, but everything I've seen in Kickstarter updates have been of a much higher quality than I expected given the amount of funding that they asked for initially. Of course these alone don't guarantee a good game. I doubt that I'll crowdfund their game again, though. I'd rather donate to lots of projects than feed one project a lot.

It looks like a worthwhile project and I'd like to play it. Will I give them money before it is finished? Nope.

grumpy-cat-no-1.jpg

I backed it previously, but it's already late, not sure I want to throw more money at it…

Daniel.

Double dipping, no no no. Just encourage shady behavior and incompetence.

I'm sorry, but there is a point where crowdfunded video games is sort of like that guy standing on the corner with a "will work for food" cardboard sign. I'm happy when they do well, but when they don't it is kind of pathetic. It's sad and frustrating at the same time.

I have zero confidence in projects that run out of money. This indicates to me a poorly managed project that may or may not ever see the light of day.

I backed the original campaign. It's a little concerning that they would be doing this, I definitely echo some of the sentiments here. I hope they prove us wrong and deliver a product surpassing expectations.

I had a bad feeling when it was announced and didn't back it. I guess I was right. I do like the concept and I would still want to play it if it was released.

Back
Top Bottom