Morrowind - Physically Based Rendering

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
This is all possible thanks to the Morrowind Graphics Extender XE version by Hrnchamd. Although a lot of materials will have to be remade this is something to watch for if you are into modding.

The latest Morrowind Graphics Extender XE version by Hrnchamd added PBR (Physics Based Rendering) and normal mapping support to the 14 years old Morrowind engine!

This is an alpha quality preview. It will look even better in the future.

The models and textures in this video are made by me and are far from perfect. The PBR materials can sure be made much better but it should still be clear that this engine magic made by Hrnchamd is a huge achievement!
More information.

Last edited:
I so want to revisit Morrowind, but I can't stand the combat system anymore. I sure hope at least one of the rivival conversions will make it.

Just to be clear this isn't released yet and is still in alpha.

Not true… Advanced materials (aka PBR) is already incorporated into MGE XE, anyone can download and play with it
there are 2 releases available on Nexus, a beta and something newer than beta termed "prototype" by Hrchamd released three days ago.

I so want to revisit Morrowind, but I can't stand the combat system anymore.

You can mod pretty much anything in Morrowind , including the combat system. You always could have.

MCP can imitate Oblivion-style combat, and there are plenty mods to choose from regarding to-hit chance.

There are also magicka regeneration mods, sprinting, blocking …

Last edited:
MCP can imitate Oblivion-style combat, and there are plenty mods to choose from regarding to-hit chance.

Which mod is MCP? I have been looking for combat mods every now and then, but never could find anything satisfactory...

... and keep in mind PBR is part of MGE XE, which will never work with OpenMW (OpenMw has its own shaders)

I found Morrowind combat very satisfactory back in 2001 when the game released. I still love it mechanically (and even to this day some stuff haven't been done again, like enemies throwing your throwing weapons back at you in the middle of a fight), but I find it artificial because of the limited visual/animation feedback.

That improved so much in games since then that I am spoiled.

Yeah.... I remember deciding to walk by foot to the first major town , instead of riding a giant flea, and getting pummeled into dirt by a tiny worm creature :) ah , memories....

Umm… wouldn't a physically based rendering engine provide support for shadows? Apparently this doesn't, or else they have them turned off for some reason.

Yes this is without shadows turned on.

Back
Top Bottom