HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted two more XCOM 2 reviews:

Gamespot:

Survival of the fittest.

Time is always fading in XCOM 2, and it's never on our side. As we train our next soldier, drop them into battle, and fight for humanity's survival, we can only make the best of the minutes we have left. We'll probably fail. But we'll move on anyway.

Following in the footsteps of 2012's XCOM: Enemy Unknown, its sequel is a brutal, unforgiving turn-based strategy title played on a strategic world map and isometric battlefields. XCOM 2 places us in command of the human Resistance as they rise up against the Advent, an alien regime that has governed Earth for 20 years. As opposed to the soldiers of Enemy Unknown, XCOM 2's rebellion is on the offensive. We're no longer staunch defenders--we're a desperate guerilla force.

[...]

Score: 9/10 Superb
IGN:

XCOM 2 Review

There’s an air of white-knuckle desperation about XCOM 2’s post-apocalyptic setting, and it only enhances the tension. Taking place 20 years after humanity shockingly lost the war we played in 2012’s excellent XCOM: Enemy Unknown, we’re now fighting to overthrow a decades-long alien occupation of the planet. It’s a very thematically appropriate scenario for a game about taking four to six-person squads into battle against initially-superior alien forces, and a great backdrop for these unpredictable, tactically deep, and addictive battles.

[...]

The Verdict

With a focus on variety and replayability, this sequel has an answer to most of my complaints about 2012’s excellent XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and aside from some mostly cosmetic bugs, it comes together brilliantly. Thanks to a new spin on the same great tactical combat, plus unpredictable maps and randomized objectives and loot, XCOM 2 is an amazing game I’ll easily put hundreds of hours into

More information.

IS it just me or this got better reception overall than the first?

Feels like it will be a better game than the first, with many more options, unit customisation and overall higher quality gameplay and campaign.

I'm hoping it'll be a fun game with addictive tactical combat, as it should.

Last edited:
Wow, this will be addictive for sure. Guess I can just forget about doing much else during February. I won´t be reading any reviews (except for scoring) since this was a title that I felt quite comfortable taking the risk of a pre-purchase with. ;-)

Can someone elaborate its RPG elements?

Can someone elaborate its RPG elements?
Well you can create your heroes and customize them into smallest details. You can even write a bio for each and give them a stance based on their emotional state.

You can choose a class for each and choose their abilities.

The story and gameplay lets you make a lot of C&C that will kill or save them, others or your base-ship.

Combat is based on your character skills instead of player action skills.

Combat is turn based.

Game only lacks lots of dialogue to be a proper RPG :)

Thanks!

Oof, brutal difficulty, timers... nah I think I pass. Sounds like a receipe for frustration.

Oof, brutal difficulty, timers… nah I think I pass. Sounds like a receipe for frustration.

The timers isnt so bad, since you get more turns than you need for missions, just this 2nd game your a guerilla unit you got to hit fast and run. Its canon based ont he plot.

Well you can create your heroes and customize them into smallest details. You can even write a bio for each and give them a stance based on their emotional state.

The story and gameplay lets you make a lot of C&C that will kill or save them, others or your base-ship.

Combat is turn based.

Basically this reminds me of the Space hulk situation

they first made a literal board game adaptation and majority was bored

then they realsed "Space hulk Ascension" which was basically the same game , just with actual customization option (not very deep but mind you) and other goodies

XCOM1 as I remember it (I didn't but my neighbor played it) was dry of RPGness and really a tactical turn based party shooter, structured like missions. So it reminded me the most of Fallout TACTICS. It wasn't necessarily a bad game

This second XCOM seems richer, like its keeping the tactical goodness, but enriching it with more RPG elements. Now it looks more like Syndicate Wars. I will definitely play it

XCOM1 as I remember it (I didn't but my neighbor played it) was dry of RPGness and really a tactical turn based party shooter, structured like missions. So it reminded me the most of Fallout TACTICS. It wasn't necessarily a bad game

This second XCOM seems richer, like its keeping the tactical goodness, but enriching it with more RPG elements. Now it looks more like Syndicate Wars. I will definitely play it
Well, yes, both games are more accurately described as turn-based strategy, not RPG. There are more RPG elements missing than included, but that's okay with me!

Combat is turn based.

yes, all it lacks is reading, walls of reading :)

hype hype hype hype hype hype...
Yea, sorry, there's one thing that made me resist it. Call me when the complete game get's on 75% off.

Back
Top Bottom