HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Fichti of Bard's Tale IV are introduced in Kickstarter update #27:

Lore Update – The Fichti

Nathan here.

Caith is the land in which we set our story, the land of Skara Brae. It is a land of stone-fenced fields, vast forests, windswept mountains and rocky shorelines at the northern end of a island in a northern sea. In Caith's lowlands live the Dael, ruddy, hardy farmers with a feudal society of knights, dukes and castles. In Caith's great northwestern forests live the Fichti, short, dark haired hunters and gatherers who keep to the older ways of tribe, clan and totem. On the shores and isles of Caith's rugged north east coast live the Einarr, descendants of Norn raiders, but now settled fishers, shepherds, and sailors. The three cultures don't mix very much, but they all think of Caith as their home, and occasionally, if the threat is great enough, they all come together to defend it.

Right now, I'd like to talk to you in detail about one of those cultures, the Fichti.

Culture of the Fichti

The Fichti are a tribe of nature worshiping humans who see themselves as the guardians of the deep forests of northwest Caith. They are a small, wiry, dark-haired people, known for painting themselves in woad and wearing clothes made from skins and pelts. They live in small villages protected by wooden palisades and survive primarily by hunting and gathering, though they also sell furs, antlers, honey, and game meat to their Dael neighbors to the south.

Though the Fichti are a matriarchal society, both men and women lead. Each village has both a Mother and a Father, as well as a Grandmother. The Mother and Father are often married, but don't need to be - they don't even necessarily need to be the same sex as their title - although the Grandmother is always a woman.

Village Mothers are the leaders in all things pertaining to organization and justice in the tribe. It is they who settle disputes among villagers and who negotiate with other villages. They are the lawmakers and peacekeepers. The village Fathers - regardless of sex - are the leaders in all things pertaining to defense. They maintain the village's fighting cohort and investigate all threats. They do not have the power to make war on their own, but once the Mother orders that war be fought, the Father is the one who leads the fight.

The village Grandmother is a priestess of Mother Hazel and Father Oak, tending to all matters spiritual and ceremonial, making sacrifices, consulting auguries, presiding over rituals, healing both the body and the mind of her flock, and seeing to the burial of the dead.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

I really like the direction they're taking this. It's halfway between the silliness of the 80's and the seriousness of a grimdark setting, with real historical references. Much more pleasant than the approach we've seen in Pillars, IMO.

To be honest I'd like to see more stronger connections made with established Bard's Tale lore in the updates; more references made to well known locations and historical events.

I need to feel that this is a Bard's Tale game before I can really begin to fully appreciate the more overt Celtic/Scottish themes. Thus, I'm quietly patient for more information. :)

To be honest I'd like to see more stronger connections made with established Bard's Tale lore in the updates; more references made to well known locations and historical events.

I need to feel that this is a Bard's Tale game before I can really begin to fully appreciate the more overt Celtic/Scottish themes. Thus, I'm quietly patient for more information. :)

The amount of lore in the old Bard's tale games was rather. . . limited. They were first and foremost dungeon crawlers. Even Tarjan, who appeared rather extensively in the series had less text devoted to him than the Fichti do in this update. It seems to me they want a more fleshed out fantasy world than in the old games. I'd say that's positive. I wasn't actually expecting that much.

Oh I agree Forgottenlor - however I don't think there's anything mutually exclusive about having a fleshed out fantasy world and including deeper connections with what is already established from the previous games. I think there is more content and depth present under the surface from the original trilogy outside of the Mad God, which if treated well, could be aptly expanded upon.

I'm more than happy with what is present, don't get me wrong - I'm simply keen to hear more connections of what has gone before interpreted in this new light.
I'm reasonably confident that InXile will deliver what I'm after, I only wish it would perhaps be elaborated upon sooner rather than later. :)

Back
Top Bottom