Sorcery! - Review @ Destructoid

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Destructoid recommends Sorcery! Parts 1 & 2 from Inkle Strudions:

In some ways, that question is already answered, as the two parts of Sorcery! featured in this review have been available on iOS (as Sorcery! and Sorcery! 2) since 2013. The PC version is identical in terms of content, so folks who've already gotten their hands on the mobile versions won't find much of a reason to own this one. That said, though, people who are new to the series may be surprised to learn that there's just as much "game" as there is "book" in this gamebook adaptation.

This is partially down to the strength of the source material. The original Sorcery! mixed in elements and statistics from pen-and-paper role-playing games, deepening interaction beyond the usual "turn to page [x] to see the result." Inkle rebuilds and tweaks these preexisting systems to bring them more in line with the interactions best suited to video games.

[...]

Score: 8/10

By wrapping classical adventure writing in a thoroughly modern play experience, inkle has turned Sorcery! into a great testament to the power and place of text in gaming's canon.
More information.

I've been enjoying this quite a lot. I'm stuck in a bit of a rut in part 2 though. Seems I was too astute, avoiding too many ambushes. It's not called the Cityport of Traps for nothing, apparently. You come up several items short if you're too wily.

Back
Top Bottom