The Digital Antiquarian - On Garriott and Ultima V

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@The Digital Antiquarian, Jimmy Maher discusses the story of Ultima V and how it reflects a changing and evolving Richard Garriott.

For me, the Ultima series isn't most interesting as the saga of Britannia, but rather as something more intimate. It's the CRPG equivalent of the film Boyhood. As we play through the games we see its creator grow up, from the giddy kid who stuck supercomputers, space shuttles, and Star Wars in his fantasy games - because, hey, those things are all just as cool as Dungeons and Dragons to a nerdy teenager - to the more serious young man who used Ultima IV and, now, Ultima V to try to work out a philosophy for living. Taken as a whole, the series can be seen as a coming-of-age tale as well as a fantasy epic. Having reached a stage in my life where the former is more interesting than the latter, that's how I prefer to see it anyway. Rather than talk about the Ages of Britannia, I prefer to talk about the ages of Richard Garriott.
[...]

In Ultima IV, we saw his awakening to the idea that there are causes greater than himself, things out there worth believing in, and we saw his eagerness to shout his discoveries from every possible rooftop. This is the age of ideology - of sit-ins and marches, of Occupy Wall Street, of the Peace Corps and the Mormon missionary years. Teenagers and those in their immediate post-teenage years are natural zealots in everything from world politics to the kind of music they listen to (the latter, it must be said, having at least equal importance to the former to many of them).

Yet we must acknowledge that zealotry has a dark side; this is also the age of the Hitler Youth and the Jihad. Some never outgrow the age of ideology and zealotry, a situation with major consequences for the world we live in today. Thankfully, Richard Garriott isn't one of these. Ultima V is the story of his coming to realize that society must be a negotiation, not a proclamation. "I kind of think of it as my statement against TV evangelists," he says, "or any other group which would push their personal philosophical beliefs on anybody else." The world of Ultima V is messier than Ultima IV‘s neat system of ethics can possibly begin to address, full of infinite shades of gray rather than clear blacks and whites. But the message of Ultima V is one we need perhaps even more now than we did in 1988. If only the worst we had to deal with today was television evangelists...
More information.

I tried to play Ultima last year and thought it was unplayable by today's standards. Does anybody know if some of the games are still "accessible" today? I played the first and fourth and tried to play the fifth, but was already too tired by then.

I don't think it is a case of "knowing" they're accessible but more a question of personal mentality and subjectivity. For me, Ultima is perfectly playable today. Whilst I came relatively late to the series, not having completed I-VI on PC until around 1999-2000, the games were a true joy of discovery for me.

My advice if someone wanted a more accessible experience would be to try out one of the many Ultima remakes for example Lazarus (http://www.u5lazarus.com/)

Interesting article, thanks Silver.

That's true. I still find the earlier Ultimas fun and playable and only first played them around 98 or 99, when I bought the Ultima Collection. But, and this isn't really about Gabriel, the technology gap might be too much for kids today. They were born into a world with HD graphics. Stick figure avatars probably seem like a joke.

Ultima 7 is definitely playable now, especially with exult.

If these were the games he started growing up then UO was where he went off the deep end.

Back
Top Bottom