System Shock - Source Code Discovered

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@systemshock.org Stephen Kick from Night Dive Studios has started a thread to collect feedback from fans of System Shock 1 on what the new remake should do feature-wise. He reveals that they have discovered the source code to SS1 and will release it to the community. Some interesting nuggets of information in this thread.

Greetings Everyone,

This is Stephen Kick from Night Dive Studios and as most of you know we're currently developing a complete remake of the original System Shock. As we get further along we'd like to reach out to you, the Shock community that has kept the franchise alive for so many years for feedback, suggestions, ideas - anything that you'd like to share with us so that we can deliver an experience worthy of the Shock name.

We've also tracked down the source code to the original game and will be releasing it to the community once it's ready.

We will most likely be seeking crowd funding to complete the game so if you have any ideas for features you'd like to see, rewards, stretch goals, concerns, anything crowd funding related, please don't hesitate to share. This is a dream project for us and working with some of the original LG crew to bring you a faithful Shock experience has been an absolute pleasure - we can't wait to show you what we have in store.
[...]

Further on Stephen Kick answers some fan questions.

Thanks to everyone who shared suggestions and ideas so far - it's given us a lot to think about and consider. We're in the process of cataloging them all and will be discussing them internally. For now here are some answers/replies to some of them:

Quote from: antimatter_16 on 11. February 2016, 03:12:34

Multiplayer: This is another beast entirely and while I agree that co-op would be a great feature the amount of work involved will have to be carefully considered. It is something that's been brought up in discussion that we'll explore further down the line.
Level Editor & Mods: Mod support is another thing we'd love to include and would make a great stretch goal if we can determine the amount of work it will take to provide adequate tools to the community.
Soundtrack: We are composing a brand new soundtrack.

Quote from: Hikari on 11. February 2016, 07:17:16

Scaling UI
I have a 4K monitor and have experienced how non-scaling UI ruins workflows.

Remappable Controls.
We will have this.

Keep the horror house feel and sound.
We're completely re-designing the sounds, music, and atmosphere - it's still Shock, but it will be scarier. You'll finally get to see the full extent of Shodan's experiments on the crew members and the effect she's had on the station.

ZERO Micro-Transactions
We are saving these for our SHODAN themed Angry Bird mobile game ;)

Oh! A manual.
We are building a "TriOptimum Employee Handbook" that will be a prop from the game, and include the standard stuff from a game manual.

Quote from: ThiefsieFool on 11. February 2016, 08:49:32

I don't have much to say except this: make sure there are proper difficulty settings.
We love the multiple difficulty levels in Shock and will be implementing a similar system.

Quote from: Join usss! on 11. February 2016, 12:32:13

-Try to nail combat harder than in the original game, as it is the core of the game yet was a little underwhelming If we're being honest here, even with all the player choice and freedom of movement.
We want the combat to be visceral and the weapons to have weight. One of my personal wishlist goals is to have a dynamic dismemberment system similar to dead space or the original soldier of fortune. There are so many great weapons in Shock, each one should damage enemies accordingly.

I also propose the typical hand-holders can be added exclusively to lower difficulties
. Add new modifiers for navigation, namely objective markers.
Great idea.
More information.

Yeah, time to hype up some SS games, with this remake and also the sequel (SS 3) :)

Eh, never played this one...what's it like ?
Can we have a bit more grounded description from you guys :p

kirtan_beach_s.jpg

Now that's great news.

pibbur who some times recognizes great (for him) news when he sees it.

This is getting more beautiful as news flowing in. Easily earning a place on the Stage of Best Remakes of all time.

Will this be released prior to SS3? I assume they will need to be released years apart to avoid market confusion. I must admit that I am a bit confused - I like the idea of a remake of the first one, but working on both at same time seems overkill.

Kind of on the fence. I think Bioshock was the last FPS game I played and enjoyed. Witcher 1 was all right, but got tired after Chapter 2. I tried SS2 at some point but the puzzles were a big turn off. Seems like a strange combination, puzzles and real-time shooter.

Kind of on the fence. I think Bioshock was the last FPS game I played and enjoyed. Witcher 1 was all right, but got tired after Chapter 2. I tried SS2 at some point but the puzzles were a big turn off. Seems like a strange combination, puzzles and real-time shooter.

Witcher 1 an FPS, am I reading your post wrong?:S

Only one word : Where ?

[The Source-Code, I mean.]

Anyone have any insight why it happens that a good number of games, particularly from the 80s and 90s, had their source files lost?

Looking forward to this one.

Anyone have any insight why it happens that a good number of games, particularly from the 80s and 90s, had their source files lost?

I think it has something to do with the evolution from playing dos games to playing Windows games…after windows 95, and 98. before windows 98, there were no windows drivers...

From working in software development, I'll say:

1. HDD failures with lack of backups/archiving.
  2. Moving between source code management systems for new project, leaving old projects on old servers that will get unplugged and forgotten at some points
  3. Employees leaving causing new employees to delete/destroy the old stuff because they don't know what it is, they don't care and they need the disk space
  4. Exec decide they don't need to keep it after they are done with the patches.

Back
Top Bottom