GameSpot - Hideo Kojima Interview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamespot they interview Hideo Kojima and ask what he's working on.

Congratulations on getting out and starting your new company. It's been about two months since the new Kojima Productions studio was announced. What kind of progress has been made since the day of the announcement, in terms of hiring and getting off the ground?

Kojima: In theory--and ideally--you put together some staff, you look for facilities, and then you start working on a project, planning and testing, but...I'm doing all of this in parallel. Many people say, "Your games are great but they take a while to come out," so I'm trying to change that.

How do you decide what to work on first? You have the world in front of you: how do you choose the right project?

Originally, after working for 30 years in one company, I was thinking of taking a one-year hiatus. But if I don't keep creating, I will definitely get rusty. So I was thinking of making not a blockbuster, but something more edgy, maybe a small movie. That was my original thought process.

"Many people say, "Your games are great but they take a while to come out," so I'm trying to change that." -- Kojima

However, after talking with several friends and fans, a lot of people told me, "Everyone is expecting a lot from your next project, and it has to be a big one. Something that goes over a game that earned perfect scores; something that goes beyond that. Don't get derailed."

So I gathered my thoughts and considered the situation, and I decided that I would work on an edgy project. There are many things that I want to do, but I didn't have to think too much about which one I wanted to work on; it kind of came naturally, what I'm working on now.
More information.

Great interview. At least something worth reading on Gamespot.

Meanwhile I've pinpointed damned glasses I wanted since the first moment I saw those on him:
201403102026191f6s.jpg

It's J.F. Rey model jf1142, ocean blue (although there are other colors) and I'm supposed to shell out $500 at coolframes.com. Have to check what happens with taxes on importing before I buy, but I think I'll go with it.
Info, just in case someone also wants those.

Fantastic interview! I'm so glad Kojima now feels free. Wish the best success for him!

"Thank you for taking the time to chat with us today, and congratulations on your upcoming award.

Thank you. I'm really glad I can now have a decent, normal interview. It just feels so good."

Wow, they must have had him on a really tight leash in Konami.

Konami… It'd take a separate thread to number everything that happened there in past couple of years, but there is a new thing that brings more :rolleyes:.

The virtual taxfree currency (another scamware I call that stuff) they use in MGS5 multiplayer part - expires after 6 months. Okay, currently only in japanese PC version but it's just a matter of time it goes everywhere:
http://www.pcgamesn.com/metal-gear-...on-expiry-date-to-metal-gear-solid-5-in-japan

Imagine you win millions on a lottery and your government makes a law that the cash you have may be spent only in specific supermarket and after 6 months whatever you didn't spend will be taken away from you.

Virtual currencies in games IMO should have been declared illegal worldwide.
Sadly, because those can be easily used as money laundry, which is very interesing to both crimos and governments who need to hide money transfers, I'm not seeing it happening soon.

EDIT:
Sorry, somehow I omitted to mention:
Sony is supporting us to make a big game that’s edgy with a strong story that gives the player a lot of freedom, with new elements, and I don’t know if that’s possible.
Can one even explain how this won't be - an openworld RPG?

Last edited:
I cannot say enough good things about Kojima. He's just so creative and bizarre and technical and detailed-oriented, all in one. I've been loving his games since Metal Gear for Nintendo in 1989 or so.

And Metal Gear Solid V is so perfect. After 200 hours of it, I am still blown away by how flawless it is technically, artistically, and design-wise. It really is the perfect finale to his nearly 30 year saga.

And it's great they are using Unreal Engine for their next project...although it's sad all that work on Fox Engine is gone forever.

Back
Top Bottom