Consortium: The Tower - Jumping to Fig

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
After failing with Consortium: The Tower at Kickstarter Interdimensional Games is using the Fig-platform now:
Consortium: The Tower is Jumping to Fig

CONSORTIUM: THE TOWER IS JUMPING TO FIG

Interdimensional Games Will Enable Fans to Share in the Potential Success of the Game Through Equity Crowdfunding

SAN FRANCISCO, February 26, 2016 – Interdimensional Games (iDGi), makers of the 2014 hit title CONSORTIUM, have decided to take their fundraising efforts from Kickstarter to Fig (www.fig.co) for their sequel Consortium: The Tower. The rewards and investment crowdfunding campaign will launch on March 22 and will be looking to secure $300,000 in rewards and equity funding.

“We are excited about CONSORTIUM: The Tower being chosen for the Fig platform,” said Gregory MacMartin, CEO of Interdimensional Games. “The Tower is our dream project with almost a decade of planning and R&D behind it, including our first game CONSORTIUM. The folks at Fig have recognized this, and by transitioning our campaign onto their platform Fig Publishing will be able to invite investors to join in realizing our project and participating in its potential success in the market.”

CONSORTIUM: The Tower is a single-player, first person science fiction simulation game created using the Unreal 4 Engine, and is set almost entirely within the hyper-futuristic Churchill Tower, an immense skyscraper in the heart of London, England. The Tower begins on December 21st, 2042 within an alternate dimension on the brink of world peace. The Tower incorporates all of the core mechanics, interface systems, gear and dynamic fourth wall shattering concepts for an all new scope. What should have been a straightforward mission to rescue civilian hostages from terrorists turns into a global debacle involving a deeply rooted conspiracy where Consortium Officer Bishop Six will be forced to question his allegiances and the morality of meddling across the bounds of existence. Acting as Bishop Six, players can choose to fight, sneak, explore or talk their way through an interactive story driven by their own actions and decisions.

“CONSORTIUM: The Tower is the type of game that is perfect for Fig. Interdimensional Games understands that fans want the option for more than just a t-shirt and a copy of the game when they financially support a game’s development. They want the opportunity to play a bigger role in its development and share in its potential success,” said Justin Bailey, CEO of Fig. “Our goal at Fig is to be able to pave the way for a sustainable ecosystem through investment crowdfunding, and by giving developers the funds they need for development, and being a great game co-publisher for them, we can further help in the potential success of the game.”

Fig is the first and only platform that offers both rewards and investment-based crowdfunding for independent developers in the gaming space. As part of its service offerings, Fig has announced that going forward it will waive all fees for the rewards portion of their campaigns, starting with Consortium: The Tower.

Stay tuned for more updates on the Consortium: The Tower campaign in the coming weeks and visit www.Fig.co for more information.
More information.

How does the equity thing work ?

Especially for outside of the us people ?

FIG has all the information about that in its help center.

You can put money on the game like you do on IndieGOGO and KS, it doesn't have to be in equity though.

Last edited:
Fig is absolutely worth using for a game like this, and I'm thrilled to see this project get a new lease on life. The first game wasn't perfect, but it was a compelling experience and showed a huge amount of promise.

kickstarter is the only crowd funding I will use. Too much headache to follow others.

You don't have to "follow" Fig in order to back this project, especially if you backed via Kickstarter. Sounds like it'll be pretty seamless with email prompts.

kickstarter is the only crowd funding I will use. Too much headache to follow others.

FIG does one game at a time currently (I doubt it's going to change). You just have to check once every 2 months to know if they have a new crowdfunding campaign going.

Harmonix, InXile, Obsidian Entertainment and Double Fine (already did with Psychonauts 2) will all be using it too.

Fig is also designed to be much easier to "follow", in the sense that it only hosts projects that are deeply vetted by the people behind the platform. There may be other reasons to like Fig, or not; this Consortium campaign will be my first experience with it. But it's intended to be a platform of experienced industry folks vetting new projects (which have so far also been from experienced industry folks).

The downside is that small, upstart studios with no track record probably won't get a spot on Fig, but the upside is that all of the teams have a real track record and resource base behind them. The risk of execution should be much lower than on the average Kickstarter campaign. (Again, I can't vouch for actual results - Fig is very young and has only hosted a few projects to date.)

Personally, I'd feel more comfortable going for Fig any day than Indiegogo. Kickstarter doesn't vet projects, but somewhat mitigates consumer risk by only taking your money if the campaign succeeds; Fig takes your money no matter how much the campaign makes, but only offers projects that are much more deeply vetted; Indiegogo combines the worst of both. (That said, Indiegogo is highly suitable for other types of campaigns, like local business fundraising.)

The bottom line for me is that the first Consortium game was a really strong debut, and the pitch for this one looked ace - right up the alley for fans of RPG/immersive sims. I'm looking forward to seeing what this team accomplishes with The Tower.

Fig is also designed to be much easier to "follow", in the sense that it only hosts projects that are deeply vetted by the people behind the platform. There may be other reasons to like Fig, or not; this Consortium campaign will be my first experience with it. But it's intended to be a platform of experienced industry folks vetting new projects (which have so far also been from experienced industry folks).

The downside is that small, upstart studios with no track record probably won't get a spot on Fig, but the upside is that all of the teams have a real track record and resource base behind them. The risk of execution should be much lower than on the average Kickstarter campaign. (Again, I can't vouch for actual results - Fig is very young and has only hosted a few projects to date.)

Personally, I'd feel more comfortable going for Fig any day than Indiegogo. Kickstarter doesn't vet projects, but somewhat mitigates consumer risk by only taking your money if the campaign succeeds; Fig takes your money no matter how much the campaign makes, but only offers projects that are much more deeply vetted; Indiegogo combines the worst of both. (That said, Indiegogo is highly suitable for other types of campaigns, like local business fundraising.)

The bottom line for me is that the first Consortium game was a really strong debut, and the pitch for this one looked ace - right up the alley for fans of RPG/immersive sims. I'm looking forward to seeing what this team accomplishes with The Tower.
Actually got to make a few corrections here - looked into fig when there was a lot of misconceptions during psychonauts 2 so can probably help answer some questions and clear up a few things.

1) FIG works like Kickstarter in the "we only charge if we are successful" method. Fig doesn't do the partial funding thing like indiegogo does.

2) Fig isn't going to be taking any money off rewards backers there- but it also does later get a share of profits from the developer. To help with that though fig also helps with promotion and other sides serving effectively as the publisher for the title.

3) On Investment that someone else mentioned - it would depend somewhat on your country. The safest way is if you count as an accredited investor or equiviliant - then that means there's not going to be any issues. The other option is what Fig started with back with PSychonauts 2 with some new us regulation under the JOBs act which lets unaccredited investors put in some money. I'm not quite sure how that works for international people, including myself in Canada.

A few key things on that side - you are buying tracking stock that you can't trade. You don't get any voting rights and you are only entitled to a dividend essentially - that is it. So think of it less as typical equity crowdfunding like you might see some portal do and more you get a special series of stock that you get paid based on how well the game does but your stock is essentially in a division just to handle that game (IE Psychonauts 2 investors got Fig Grasslands Preferred Tracking Stock).

Also important to know is that the unaccredited investment is under Regulation A not the Title 3 stuff. Basically what that means is almost all the chatter you've heard on the net about crowdfunded investment rules doesn't quite apply as Title 3 is the one that gets all the hype. Regulation A has a few more hoops it has to do and they have to post all their investment documents publicly which is where a ton of that info came from.

If you want to see a bit more on that point I can elaborate some from a bit I did and talked with someone on but I'm not an investment expert.

Very few places have started using the "crowdsourced equity" stuff that the JOBS Act enables for unaccredited investors in the US. Fig doesn't offer that yet, tho I'm unsure whether it's offered other equity investment options (for accredited investors). Regardless, I don't believe the Consortium campaign will include that component.

You're absolutely right about Fig only taking money if the campaign succeeds - thanks for the correction.

I'm going to have to retract my comment of them not doing more than one game at the same time. Harmonix just started a crowd funding campaign to port Rock Band 4 to PC while there was another campaign already running.

It might be worth posting the campaign video here. I think this looks absolutely terrific, and I love the concept - futuristic Die Hard with Deus Ex-style gameplay! I might even be tempted to back this one.

It might be worth posting the campaign video here. I think this looks absolutely terrific, and I love the concept - futuristic Die Hard with Deus Ex-style gameplay! I might even be tempted to back this one.

Where were you 2 months ago when this was on KS?!
And that video is same one for KS, I hoped they would show some new improved stuff for Fig.

They probably will later, they already posted all the stuff on the KS regarding gameplay (in the 8 updates on Fig).

Where were you 2 months ago when this was on KS?!
And that video is same one for KS, I hoped they would show some new improved stuff for Fig.

The truth? I saw the name on here, and for some reason confused it with some other generic RPG campaign I'd seen before, and didn't even look at it.

I wonder if we should have a new newsbit now that it's started on Fig, and perhaps include the pitch video, so more people can get the idea. I reckon this might have flown under the radar of more people than just me.

EDIT: Maybe mention the game's key aspects, dicussed in the pitch.

"A futuristic hostage crisis in a tower block, featuring elements of the movie Die Hard, and gameplay in the style of Deus Ex."

Certainly got my attention!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom