Mass Effect: Andromeda - Delayed to Q1 2017

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Eurogamer they report on an investor call that led to an annoucement. No Mass Effect: Andromeda this year. Expect it sometime Q1 2017.

No Mass Effect: Andromeda this year. EA has said in an investor call that the fourth main Mass Effect game will be released during the first quarter of 2017, which spans January to end of March.

That period represents the fourth quarter of EA's financial year - which begins April, ends March - and blockbusters earmarked for this period tend to come out as close to the end of March as possible. This allows maximum time in development while keeping the release within the financial year.

Mind you, Mass Effect 2 came out at the end of January and Mass Effect 3 at the beginning of March, so there's hope for a marginally earlier launch.
More information.

It's called wetpants or cold feet.
The reason is either DX:MD or Technomancer. Or both.

This is not a complaint though - I find the news promising as a delayed game without grind (hopefully) will always beat prematurely released fillerbased crap.

Anyone here didn't see this coming ? :lol:

It's fashionable to delay/postpone game releases.

This year is looking more and more like a year for replaying games. I don't mind though, as recent years have been very good, leaving me with less time for replaying classics.

Yeah I've got a massive backlog as well, some time to catch up on it is ok by me.
As for the delay - whatever the reason - I'm happy that they don't rush it.

noooo.gif

I'm 10000% fine with this, I want this Mass Effect to be as great as it can be: polish and refinement up the wazoo.

I see no problem with delaying game releases, I really don't.

In ME: Andromeda specific case: I can't say I'm eagerly awating for it, since I haven't played any of the ME games previously released, and this game isn't on my wishlist (as of now, at least). So, delayed it or not, I'm fine with it !

In general case: again I say this "postponing games" is sadly a trend. Of course, I have a life, I can do other things while I'm not playing games, I can wait a little longer for games to be released etc, but the real thing is: everyone out there (there are few exceptions) states a release date that won't be accomplished. What is that? An unforeseen problem with the project? A need for polishing/bugfixing the game? A lazy, disorganized developer/PR team, which can't abide the deadline they insist on shouting to the four winds? Can't they make a internal meeting and say: "Boss, we always have to bugifx and polish the game, we can't go saying the game will be released on this date. Wouldn't be better to announce a more realistic date?"

All these dates that are announced and then postponed, what they are: wild guesses? So, a game developer/publisher with a millionaire budget works like that: wild-guessing deadlines? That is the real question I ask here!

I haven't played any of the ME games previously released

I actually envy you, you can have that magical first trilogy playthrough complete with all the fixes/DLC and Extended Cut ending that was missing for most on their first run through.

I emplore you, if you like Science Fiction and RPGs in the slightest, to play this ASAP :)

All these dates that are announced and then postponed, what they are: wild guesses? So, a game developer/publisher with a millionaire budget works like that: wild-guessing deadlines? That is the real question I ask here!

Publishers set release dates based on their finance department's plans (game X is attributed a 30 millions budget with a planned Q3 release in 2 years and should generate 100m in revenue that quarter, investors are going to be happy) and ask the developers to fit the game development into that.

Then sometimes they come along and decide to change the release either forward or backward because it would fit better the target market or because they heard the competition will release at the same time and they don't like it.

Although, most of the time the developers overscope (plan too many features) though, like DAI and The Witcher 3, and cutting the new stuff take almost as much time as fixing it so the publisher extend the production and try to find a good new spot to release the game.

Something interesting in this case. Neither Titanfall 2 or Battlefield 5 have been officially announced, unlike ME:A (officially announced at E3 2015). We only know they exist because EA CFO mentioning them in financial calls.

O_O

Burn him!
Buuuuuuuuuuurn!!!

;)

Okay, I'll go to the nearest fire pit available. But only if I see Couchpotato burning on it first, as he stated he didn't play any System Shock game yet :lol:

I actually envy you, you can have that magical first trilogy playthrough complete with all the fixes/DLC and Extended Cut ending that was missing for most on their first run through.

I emplore you, if you like Science Fiction and RPGs in the slightest, to play this ASAP :)

AFAIK, not every DLC released for the first 2 games is available. Some of them aren't being sold anymore, can anyone confirm this ? If I am correct, how incomplete would be my Mass Effect trilogy playthrough ?

AFAIK, not every DLC released for the first 2 games is available. Some of them aren't being sold anymore, can anyone confirm this ? If I am correct, how incomplete would be my Mass Effect trilogy playthrough ?

All the content DLCs are still being sold on Origin. If anything is missing at all then maybe some of the (preorder) equipment DLCs but you should not want those anyway because they are usually overpowered or just cosmetic and irrelevant.

My mind is happy, my heart is sad. :|

Publishers set release dates based on their finance department's plans (game X is attributed a 30 millions budget with a planned Q3 release in 2 years and should generate 100m in revenue that quarter, investors are going to be happy) and ask the developers to fit the game development into that.

Then sometimes they come along and decide to change the release either forward or backward because it would fit better the target market or because they heard the competition will release at the same time and they don't like it.

Although, most of the time the developers overscope (plan too many features) though, like DAI and The Witcher 3, and cutting the new stuff take almost as much time as fixing it so the publisher extend the production and try to find a good new spot to release the game.

Something interesting in this case. Neither Titanfall 2 or Battlefield 5 have been officially announced, unlike ME:A (officially announced at E3 2015). We only know they exist because EA CFO mentioning them in financial calls.

Ok azarhal, thank you for the explanation. The only thing I'd change on you post is the word 'sometimes', highlighted above: I'd change it for 'always'. :)

As most, I'm fine with this. 3 months or 1 year later Mass Effect Andromeda, just means we get to do other things meanwhile. 3 months or 1 year too early Mass Effect Andromeda could mean that it could be rushed, unpolished and buggy.

Besides, a lot of EA haters have the hounds ready to release them as soon as they spot any slightest and most insignificant flaw on this game. If I was the developer I'd make sure the game is as ready for the public as can be, as they won't be granted the luxury of leniency and patience from the community for early patching and hot-fixing that about every other game enjoys.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll go to the nearest fire pit available. But only if I see Couchpotato burning on it first, as he stated he didn't play any System Shock game yet :lol:

what happens to me then? I don't care about system shock or mass effect.:lol:

Played a couple hours of ME1, it was ok I guess but didn't really grab me. Haven't played any system shock games.

I typically stick to fantasy settings with only a few exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom