Labyrinth - Preview @ God Is A Geek

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
God is a Geek have checked out the card collectible game Labyrinth.

Labyrinth is still in alpha, and it shows. The frame rate is pretty low at all detail levels, and there are balancing issues with some cards being next to useless, and the bosses being overpowered. The development team are well aware of this, and have already issued a patch that has improved the frame rate at lower settings, and also lowered boss health slightly, giving you more of a chance to put up a fight.

Another curious omission is the lack of a ‘pass’ button. For instance, you might be too far away from an enemy after moving for you to attack, or even for them to attack you, so you’ll want to just skip your turn as to not waste a card. This is odd because a gameplay clip on YouTube shows a pass button in place next to the each hero’s hand, yet in the current build it is absent. Not the end of the world, granted, but with a finite amount of cards to draw from, wasting cards isn’t good strategy, which is a fundamental part of tactical RPGs.

What there is here, though, is a lot of promise. The game looks decent and has a great collect-them-all hook that comes with the CCG style of game. It just needs a little bit more development time to iron out the niggles, and an implementation of a tutorial to help to people grasp the basics. It’s not really fair to compare it to the likes of Hearthstone and Magic: The Gathering because Labyrinth ploughs its own furrow, and Free Range Games has created a neat little game here, and one that I sincerely hope it lives up to its potential.
Thanks Eye.

More information.

This look very nice but why all these card games must be some king of F2P, buy million of boosters shit? Just give me game for 20-30$ with ability to earn all cards ingame with challenge but withiut moths of grind for one legendary and then release DLC every couple months also with same mechanics.

But no... F2P! Cash Shop! 3$ per booster and you will get not nedded shit 9/10 times... meh.

I played MTG in school (7th till 10th edition) and i know how money hog these games are. This is also what stioppoing me from playing Hex. I know they will demand my money. a lot of them (unless i stick to pauper with commons).

Back
Top Bottom