Banner Saga - The Stoic Saga

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Develop reports that Stoic faced some tough times during the development of the Banner Saga:

The makers of The Banner Saga discuss the biggest hardships they faced in bringing their vision to life

The Banner Saga is widely regarded as a success story. New studio Stoic took to Kickstarter to call for funding and raised far more than they expected. The game was released, critics were wowed and all was well.

But the team faced tough times as they worked on the acclaimed RPG-strategy title, and the growing development budget caused increased pressure and other financial difficulties. Determined to invest as much into the game as possible, one of the founders even maxed two credit cards before the project was finished.

With work well underway on a sequel, we caught up with Stoic's John Watson and Arnie Jorgensen to find out more about the biggest challenges they faced and how they overcame them.

[…]

Looking back, what was the biggest challenge/difficulty and how did you overcome this?
Jorgensen:
Spreading the word about the game, but Versus Evil helped us with this as well. Building awareness is huge stumbling block for small independent teams. Since you’re so familiar with your game you just figure other people are aware that you’re working on it, but that’s not at all the case. You need people actively working to help market it. We know how to make games and it’s a full time job. They know how to let people know it’s out there and it’s a full time job.

[…]

More information.

This was my first kickstarter. Delivered for me in terms of overall experience but was so-so in terms of combat mechanics. I'm sure they will nail the sequel with all they have learned and a bigger budget in hand.

I know some didn't love the first game but I thought it was fantastic. Sadly I did not support the kickstarter but that's ok i'll ponied up for 1 and will buy 2 and 3 as well.

Absolutely loved it. Not only the atmosphere and story, but also the combat. Very unique and very boardgame-like

Back
Top Bottom