Divinity: Original Sin II - PC Gamer Weekender

So can we not role play two characters at once this time? I loved that!

Oh well, the rest sounded great.

There is a lot of cool info in there.

-I like that elves can absorb memories of the departed (eat a piece of them) and maybe pick up skills. Zombie talent people can eat flesh and recover health, those without doing the same get diseased and can pass on disease.

-Rock paper scissors is gone. It comes down to reputation mechanics now and who your okay with annoying.

-There is Invisible Inc style security statuses for when your sneaking about. You can escalate situations etc.

-You can pick origin stories and come up with custom origin stories. Some origins are race specific. Some origins are conflicting.

- Conversation tags help you with your origin story. Conversations are unique to different origins.

Last edited:
The problem is, at the speed Swen talks, 45 minutes contains several petabytes of data.

Processing...

D:OS was an ok game for me. It's nice to hear that almost every aspect I didn't like will be changed in D:OS2. :)

I love the origin stories thing, cool. Reminds me of Dragon Age: Origins, and that was one of the best things about the game…and it seems like Larian is putting a lot more emphasis on the origin story within the game itself, in terms of game effects and game impact overall, which is awesome, plus, the ability to choose different races for a particular origin story.. That is a really great idea.

I hope they don't bite off more than they can chew. Apart from that, it sounds awesome.

I might buy this game twice, on PC and PS4. I think I really want to play some local co-op.

Well, I have to hand it to Swen that he is really trying a lot of innovative things this time around. Some of his ideas are exactly the same as I had for my game, combining skills and sneaking while talking, are thing I have in my game too.

But I couldn't even begin to imagine the nightmare complexity of what he is doing in multiplayer, and even competitive multiplayer. In my opinion this is great as there is far too little innovation in most games with a decent budget these days.

I skipped the multiplayer parts… can you summarize these features?

D:OS had awesome almost revolutionary game mechanics, which made for interesting riddles, combat and exploration. If only the story and companions had been decent, I'd probably have found the game better than Pillars, Wasteland 2, Might and Magic X, and Underrail. For that reason I'm really hoping Avellone's presence will have a massive impact on the sequel.

I'm still playing D:OS. I've pretty much finished the hiberheim (sp?) area - not really sure how far I am through the game at this point.

It's certainly one of the best CRPGs in a while in my book. I'd probably still rate Gothic II NotR higher… but they are very different styles of CRPGs and my natural preference leans more toward the G2 style so I acknowledge my bias here.

My criticisms of D:OS are few but there are two main ones. While I praise Larian for making a proper PC UI (seriously, this cannot be over-stated enough), I just wish that the management of all the items was done in a way to make it easier to comprehend what you have and what you can do with what you have.

At this point, the rabid D:OS defenders on Larian's own forums will have already dog piled on me with all kinds of pejoratives so I'll just say it now - NO, this doesn't mean I want one-click solutions and auto play and no this doesn't mean I want things dumbed down and simplified. Keep the complexity, just make management better.

Secondly, I really wish Larian could make their game world further simulated with a contiguous world map and day night cycles. That would make the game world so much more interesting - not that it's NOT interesting how it is now because it's fun to explore as it is - but that further simulation would make it that much better.

Great game, having a lot of fun and looking forward to the sequel!

Divinity OS was more than just good for me (and my dad, with whom I co-oped the entire game), it was great. 123 hours of wonderful, epic RPG content that we really enjoyed. We didn't want it to end!

Bring on the second game! I know it will be good. Hopefully this starts a trend of RPG devs making co-op RPGs going forward. Would love to see more games like this one being made!

If sneaking disguised as a barrel or a bush will make it into D:OS2 I will be seriously pissed off...

If sneaking disguised as a barrel or a bush will make it into D:OS2 I will be seriously pissed off...
Pretty sure it won't. They made clear that they want a more mature and serious atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom