Voodoo Extreme - RPG of the Year Poll

'Cos they don't know it ?

Who knows about Indie-Old-School-RPGs anyway ?

More reasonable: Maybe they'd put it into 2008, because it's so late this year already ?

I'd say that you send them an e-mail and ask them yourself.
Or in a forum, if they have one.

A mmog in an RPG poll sounds like something stupid gamespy does. :lol:
Never seen a mmog where a single player can play the game through experiencing the whole story, effecting the outcome and having multiple solutions to quests. :rolleyes:

Yeah, whoever created that poll is a moron.

edit: stop reading now, I just drank a pot of coffee and this post got longer than I intended. :)

STALKER is a great game (in my opinion) but definitely not even and action rpg (again, my definition) since it has no character development choices *at all*. Your choices are what gear to carry and either to do a mission or to not do a mission. Choosing sides between Freedom & Duty was pretty much broken and pointless anyway.

The MMO's should have their own poll...simple as that.

So, that leaves 5 actual single player RPGs on their list.

The Witcher is a fantastic game and I might even register at that worthless site just so I can vote for it.

I won't play Mass Effect until it comes to the PC in a year or so, and I still haven't played Jade Empire (but I will), so I can't say anything about either game. But I've heard they're both good.

Two Worlds is a good game, better than Oblivion in my opinion. It would be close to Gothic 3 if the HORRIBLE dialogue was better, and yes I know they wrote it that was to be funny but it's not funny it's just bad. Other than that the game is alot better than the reviews make it seem (pc version...dunno or care about console version).

Hellgate London is a steaming turd that is so badly coded that it stutters on my system at 800x600 with everything on ASS UGLY setting. And yes, I have an old system, but I can run Crysis at 1024x768 with medium settings and it looks 10x better than HG:L with zero stutter (oh, and I could run Oblivion at 1600x1200 with above max in-game settings). And sadly, even if it did run well, it's still a turd.

I understand why Eschalon, Geneforge 4, etc aren't on the list. You can't expect a mainstream site like this to have a clue. But um, why aren't Gothic 3 and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer on there? There's no excuse for that. I mean what the hell? STALKER and no Mask of the Betrayer?

Voodoo Extreme = possibly run by retarded chimpanzees

Agreed- that list has to be a defining moment for the loss of any real meaning being attached to the term RPG. I guess according to Voodoo Extreme it basically means "PC game"--that's all I can imagine that the games they listed had in common.

Strangely enough, the Witcher is still in the lead.(743-641 right now). :)

For the record, Gothic 3 was released last year and MoTB is an expansion, neither of them did qualify. Stalker is probably there to fill in the void.

I have no particular problem with the poll per se, but the majority of their forums are console users. It seems they can't appreciate RPGs, they voted the Oblivion expansion as the expansion of the year by a large margin. Not worthy being in the news section.

The Witcher is in the lead, beacause there's no Mask of the Betrayer to divide the PC fans... :biggrin:

I expect this poll to get swamped out by either a MMORG or EA Edmonton's new game (if only because it's an Xbox game). And since I don't consider Stalker an RPG (inconsistently fun, yes... RPG? no), I found myself wishing for a none-of-the-above option. Since there wasn't one, I went with Witcher in the hope that should I ever play it, it will be worth while (although the descriptions I hear about combat are a turn-off).

Only idiots complain about the combat in The Witcher since it actually requires a mind to use well and not just a click or reflexes. You have to choose you combat style and weapon carefully and you can't just keep clicking rapidly or click once and think the game will do the rest. You click on the enemy and time your clicks to the cursor changing into a flaming sword.

PS. You can die easily if you don't use the right weapon and style especially in hard mode and with bosses.

I agree with the comment that there should be a seperate poll for MMORPG's.

Also, wasn't Mass Effect just released in the past 2 weeks?

Might want to skip this post, as I had to crossover in to some political issues when I realized this was murdoch's site. :)
Actually when your antipolitical like myself and fight against it, you sound political even though you aren't, since you point them out and it's just more than 90% of it is one sided, atm. ;)

I didn't realize it at first, after seeing that link from Lethal Weapon and mention of oblivion's expansion, this is starting to make sense now.
This is the site owned by murdoch's corporation, so the poll is probably rigged and explains why voodoo extreme and gamespy use the same criteria (mmogs in a RPG poll), owned by the same guy.

murdoch is the evil little bastard that's trying to take over international English language (others too) media, in the US he started the fascist/corporatist and phony foxnews channel, which has been destroying factual and accurate journalism, here in the US.
Iirc, internationally the US used to be ranked in the top 3, in accurate news, now we have fallen to 27th, since murdoch and fauxnews.
It's so sad, 70% of the people whom watched fauxnews still believed months before the 2004 election, sadam hussein had something to do with attacks on the World Trade center.

Here's an excerpt from the non partisan Columbia Journalism Review:
"Murdoch uses his diverse holdings ... to promote his own financial interests at the expense of real news gathering, legal and regulatory rules, and journalistic ethics. He wields his media as instruments of influence with politicians who can aid him, and savages his competitors in his news columns. If ever someone demonstrated the dangers of mass power being concentrated in few hands, it would be Murdoch."

Oh, talking about murdoch, GRATZ Australia!
You just ousted the prime minister whom has been aiding and helping murdoch's rise to power for years due to generous contributions.
Now if we can just get rid of the fascist bastards here in the US running the world into the ground, there maybe once again be hope for more legitimate gamesites like RPGWatch. :)

When I read this thread headline and saw S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in it, that told me all I needed to know about this poll.

The title "GOTY: What Was The Best Role Playing Game (massively multiplayer, or otherwise)" suggests that mmogs are the main rpgs and rest belong to the "extras" category.

Better title would be "What is the best levelling treadmill of the year?".

I guess the only consolation is that all of the MMO's this year have been crap (from what I've heard ... just got my Tabula Rasa review copy before our Thanksgiving vacation), leaving only reasonable games to vote on.

I love the Witcher and am glad to see it doing well - because it *deserves* to do well, and isn't just scoring well by default.

Well, colour me surprised. ME and The Witcher were neck-a-neck for the longest time, Mass Effect leading for some time, but right now the line is...
The Witcher - 8021 (53.31% of the votes!)
The Lord of the Rings Online - 2885
Mass Effect - 2103
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - 681
Two Worlds - 564
Hellgate: London - 314
Guild Wars: Eye of the North - 179
Tabula Rasa - 116
Jade Empire: Special Edition - 114
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes - 70

Colour me surprised. Of course, this is raising accusation of the poll being stacked in the comments. Maybe it is, I dunno, but the results are surely justifiable.

Back
Top Bottom