Two Worlds II - DLC: Call of the Tenebrae announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hurls spotted the annoucement of Two Worlds II DLC: Call of the Tenebrae for Q2 2016:

Story:

In the wake of a rash of disappearances across the land, the Hero receives an unexpected letter from DarPha, compelling him to travel across Antaloor to assist her in solving the mysterious kidnappings. He arrives just in time to see a group of robed figures seemingly murder DarPha before disappearing into a magical portal. The Hero is thrust into a decades old mystery while a new race of horrific, rat-like creatures attempt to destroy Antaloor for good.

What's New:

Experience Antaloor with a major engine update that brings the archipelago to amazing, detailed life like never before! Visit new locations and interact with a host of brand new characters, both friend and foe! Solve the dark mystery of the Tenebrae and stop their hideous, rat-like followers, The Chosen. Listen to the all-new, original soundtrack as you battle hulking bosses with new weaponry, enchanted armor, alchemy skills, crystals, fighting tactics and strategies.

Gameplay:

All new villains, bosses and a new enemy race await you, complete with never before seen tactics, strategies and attacks. Creeping evil lurks around every corner, but fear not! Mix and match powerful new weapons and armor as you use some new tactics of your own to destroy the new threat to Antaloor. Hours of new quests and sidequests wait to be explored, along with all new sections of Antaloor, both above ground and below.
More information.

GUI is nice. But checked out a combat video on YT and it is abysmal! :( No buy, avoidWare :DD

By the way, both old Two Worlds titles, including current DLC (plus three other games), are still available for €2 here. Not a huge investment to try out.

However, I'm not convinced about a new DLC.

It's on sale on Steam too. Everything for $4 for the next few days.

Why is this game getting a new DLC...5-6 years after release?

Why is this game getting a new DLC…5-6 years after release?
To make money to probably help fund the development of Two Worlds III. Also remember the publisher/developer just went through bankruptcy once again last year.

Edit: The game engine is also getting a massive overhaul thanks to the new DLC.
And that’s not all! We’re also excited to announce a major engine update for Two Worlds II, and we’re going to need it, because while we’re laying down the basics for the third installment in the series,

Last edited:
The press release also says that they're porting the engine to "Linux and the Steam OS", hurray!

TW2 has been on my backlog for a while, so a Linux version will make it much more likely that I'll play it.

To make money to probably help fund the development of Two Worlds III. Also remember the publisher/developer just went through bankruptcy once again last year.

That's what I figured, but it sill kinda weird...well not as weird as KoTOR 2 getting a patch 10 years later, but still.

Are you serious? Two Worlds 2 is getting DLC.. now? I mean, I loved Two Worlds 2 (and hated TW1) but bizarre is as bizarre does lol. I'll buy it.

The press release also says that they're porting the engine to "Linux and the Steam OS", hurray!

The DLC is actually a smart development strategy - they get to work out the kinks with a lot of engine updates while using old assets, gameplay systems, interface, etc. (and fewer design resources than will be required for the new game, obviously). I expect they believe this will directly inform development of TW3.

Whether it's a successful business decision, 5+ years later, is another question entirely.

I got this game almost for free, and I tried-- I really did-- to get into it.

But I couldn't get past the first hour or two.

The tutorial is really bad, but the rest of the game is pretty good. It does have quite a bit of respawning though, which dragged the game down a bit. I loved the magic system, so it'll be interesting on what gets changed in the new version. A game that has tornado anvils can't be all bad ;)

Back
Top Bottom