Unsung Story - Nothing to Show

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Couch spotted this editorial byCliqist about Unsung Story and that in the two years of development since the Kickstarter campaign, the devs still have nothing to show.

It’s been over 2 years since the campaign ended and Playdek still doesn’t have much to show the 15,824 people who supported Unsung Story, and backers are furious. Waving around an association with Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story veteran, Matsuno might have been enough to get people interested, but Playdek’s vaguely sparse updates and clear lack of focus seem to have burned any goodwill they had with their community. The February 2016 update where they mentioned they hadn’t even been working on Unsung Story certainly didn’t help.

The latest update on April 9th assured backers that the team was finally going to be getting back to work on Unsung Story. Playdek is finally nearing completion of a separate project they had taken on to help with finances. It seems that even with these assurances backers are understandably skeptical. Especially since, when asked how the funding for Unsung Story was being handled they were told that, “roughly $1,500,000 has been spent on various aspects of Unsung Story development,” but were given no screenshots or gameplay footage outside of a short combat demo to back up these claims. It’s worth noting that the combat in the video is using standard square-grids, when one of Playdek’s selling points during the campaign had been the unique use of triangular grids. Add to this the focus on releasing a PvP prototype before a backer release sees the light of day, and things aren’t looking too good for this project.
More information.

Sounds logical : Unsung Story - nothing to show because it is unsung.

Undeveloped game - neverending story. ;)

“roughly $1,500,000 has been spent on various aspects of Unsung Story development,”

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

I remember refusing to pledge on this project because - phonegame.

Maybe I just got lucky with my determination to support only classic PC games (with no DLC, no random generator, story&lore) where so far noone failed to deliver. Sure there were delays, but I never protested on it as it ment bugweeding.

It would be interesting to see some list of projects that went into shadyness with notes if they were planned for PC or not, what genres and other data. As Unsung Story is not the first such project.

I unfortunately backed it at the last minute. Oh well, I backed it and it was one of the few games which I'm not sure will ever get released. You live and learn. I've learned a lot from observing early access and Kickstarter games, and one thing I now understand (and never did before) is why publishers cancel so many projects. Developers can run into technical problems, or just design things that aren't fun. Publishers then cut them loose. On the one hand they may stifle some good games. On the other they terminate hopeless messes before they get out of hand.

This was one of the game I avoided backing because they said a lot; tossed a lot of names aroudn but showed nothing. Mind you I did back a lot of very bad (or no delivered) games but those days are over :) I actually don't mind too much backing a small / new developer who tries but fails; but these folks should have known better so this (imho) is unexceptable.

I was one of the rubes who backed this. I was in the glow of some other Kickstarters that were doing well, and some alcohol may have been involved.

This one and the Confederate Express scam (the one with the brothers who were AirBnB squatters) have made me a lot more wary.

Looking at my list of older ones that still haven't delivered, I see I only have Bloom left. It's only 5 months overdue, but the state things are at, and the fact that the original coder left, I don't see much hope for it.

The only recent ones I have backed are Bards Tale IV (a sure bet on delivery) and Diluvion (which is 5 months overdue, but ??seems?? to be going okay?).

The only one that has burned me in terms of non-delivery is rocket ranger reloaded. I could of got a refund but I was leery of paypal and didn't want to sign up to do that.

The ones I got that disappointed and ranked in order of disappointment.
1) Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded (the legacy of this game is no more leisure suit larrys)
2) Jane Jensens Moebius (But at least I got a remade Gabriel Knight which is actually good)
3) Project Eternity (I never expected much of this but was still disappointed. I hoped against hope.)
4) Dead State (was underwhelming)

Other than that I'm a happy camper but still waiting on a few which for one reason or another I still have confidence they will deliver.

Back
Top Bottom