Kickstarter Games - Roundup

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Nice little roundup you did there, HiddenX.

I have basically stopped funding any games….

POE, DOS are two that come to mind that over a year after their release they were either in the case of POE playable. As for D:OS a better game then at release.

As for other games, well for the most part I have played them years ago with zero interest in giving someone money to make a game that was done 10 plus years ago.

As for the argument the two games I mentioned might not have been made if people didn't back them. I can live with that, even if D:OS is in my top ten.

I feel kickstarter has ran its time for me personally.

Last edited:
It seems evident to me now that Kickstarting video games was mostly about bringing back classic-hardcore RPGs and abandoned franchises like Mega-Man,Shen Mue,Castlevania etc.
Now that all these projects have been funded succesfully,there is very little incentive for people to back any games.
Potential developers would have to be really convincing and present a serious vision for their games to be funded,especially considering that we have an overabundance of games the recent years.

I have basically stopped funding any games….

POE, DOS are two that come to mind that over a year after their release they were either in the case of POE playable. As for D:OS a better game then at release.

As for other games, well for the most part I have played them years ago with zero interest in giving someone money to make a game that was done 10 plus years ago.

As for the argument the two games I mentioned might not have been made if people didn't back them. I can live with that, even if D:OS is in my top ten.

I feel kickstarter has ran its time for me personally.

I haven't funded many games in the past year, but mostly because I have still so many games I want to play.

Many of the Kickstarters I backed however would probably not have been made and I am quite happy they were.

Games like Banner Sage and Expeditions: Conquistador are amazing games and very innovative in their own way. I hope new games like that keep being made.

After I get rid of some of my backlog in about a year's time I probably would start kickstarting again.

I haven't funded many games in the past year, but mostly because I have still so many games I want to play.

Many of the Kickstarters I backed however would probably not have been made and I am quite happy they were.

Games like Banner Sage and Expeditions: Conquistador are amazing games and very innovative in their own way. I hope new games like that keep being made.

After I get rid of some of my backlog in about a year's time I probably would start kickstarting again.

I can't disagree with your opinion, just for me I am not that interested any more.

I looked at every link and I wouldn't pay a dime for any of these. Of course this site isn't about crpgs anymore, but anything that catches someone's interest. I lurk at the codex to find whether something is really a crpg. I find if you only read thread titles over there you are fairly safe.

I looked at every link and I wouldn't pay a dime for any of these. Of course this site isn't about crpgs anymore, but anything that catches someone's interest. I lurk at the codex to find whether something is really a crpg. I find if you only read thread titles over there you are fairly safe.

These are as much RPGs as Blackguards in my opinion. They are tactical battles with some unit advancements and story.

But saying RPGWatch isn't about CRPGs is certainly wrong in my opinion. I believe it's the other way around, that RPGs have evolved to mean so many different things.

It's not because you only enjoy one type of RPGs that others should be restricted by that.

I think most people would agree that Fallout and Morrowin are RPGs, but imagine you, as a fan of Fallout would never see that kind of news here, but just Morrowind-type RPGs, you wouldn't say that it's not about RPGs anymore. It's just not about the Fallout-type games anymore.

The mods now seem to have different types of RPG interests as can be seen from the news:

- Underworld Ascendant: fpRPG based on the Underworld series.
- Elder Scrolls Online: MMORPG based on the Elder Scrolls world
- Cyberpunk: Not sure, but looking like a classical third-person CRPG based in some cyberpunk universe
- Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines: One RPG considered to be a classic by many RPG fans

So out of 5 news articles, only one is not on RPGs (e.g. Steam streaming service) - so saying RPGWatch is not about RPGs feels wrong to me.

You might not like any of the games mentioned but that doesn't make RPGWatch "not about crpgs anymore"...

RPGwatch is about RPGs, but I can understand nut's point. It's just we're different.
I won't object as we all have different tastes, but I do post under news that I feel surprised, excited, happy, disappointed, disgusted, angry, something else - which still doesn't mean I'm against having that as news, just that I feel that way about the topic.

About roundup projects I won't comment here as I did (or didn't, can't remember) share my opinion of each.
But pretty much everyone knows what do I generally support. In some cases I'll back a project outside of my "rules" but there has to be a strong reason for that. For those who are new or missed it, or those who'd want me to back their project (I'm on ego trip, right? ;)) these are reasons why I didn't and won't pledge on a project:

1. Phonconsole game? Go cry to your precious Apple, Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft to fund your garbage.

2. Multiplayer? Sorry, no AI = no $. Even if it has singleplayer campaign, it suffered.

3. DLC? Go scam your mother with that.

4. Roguelike? Sorry, random generator worked when we didn't have HDD space, today when the size of my external HDD is 4TB it's rediculous.

5. No story? Sorry, I already saw Candy Crush Saga.

6. Grinder? For god's sakes.

That'd be it. Maybe I'm filtering too much, but I refuse to back stuff I don't believe in just because they put "RPG" in project description. So far all released games I backed on KS came out great.

But saying RPGWatch isn't about CRPGs is certainly wrong in my opinion. I believe it's the other way around, that RPGs have evolved to mean so many different things.

It is problematic that after something has turned out not to be an RPG (like Fallout 4) the Watch keeps posting about it.

And then there are things like the new Romero project which don't have anything to do with RPG's at all.

:)

Was just adding my point of view too. I quoted you to show our differences in opinion (contrast if you will).

I was just saying I understand that some people still see value in it and I can't disagree with that.

Well me personally I don't care about a lot of games RPG or not. Though I still find this to be the best site.

Side note: there are so many games that are hybrids with many elements from different game genres.

As a newsposter I do prefer classical crpgs but I post on a variety of rpgs because some may find them interesting. For instance I have no interest in elder scrolls online but some do so I made a post for it.

Back
Top Bottom