Underworld Ascendant - Pre-Alpha Prototype Soon

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
From the Stygian Sentinel Newsletter #23

COMING SOON: UNDERWORLD ASCENDANT'S PRE-ALPHA PROTOTYPE

It's true. You learn much going back and refining what you have already done. Over the past several weeks, we've been working hard to bring the Improvisation Engine's player-driven gameplay into a level crafted in game's new "Authored Look."
An early peek at first-person combat in Underworld Ascendant.
Our current "Pre-Alpha Prototype" also includes:

• Both spells and swordplay are available.
  • Objects in the world are reacting to fire, air, earth, and plant spells, allowing for fun experimentation.
  • New collectables, loot, and runes are hidden throughout the map, often in randomized places. (Some are deviously hard to get to, but we have faith in your abilities.)
Since last month's screenshots showing of the game's new "Authored Look," we've made the space a bit darker and moodier and also added areas that are reminiscent of a classic 10×10 corridor dungeon crawl to show the contrast between an open space and a more intimate area. The shader has been tweaked, the reflectivity map has been updated, and much more.
[...]

Also, while we've concentrated on the spell system and laying the groundwork on combat, there's one more elusive skillset that we haven't talked too much about... Something particularly near and dear to Tim and I's heart.

Yep... Stealth.

We won't be doing a 1:1 version of LookingGlass' Thief: The Dark Project, but will provide stealth skills that let you short-circuit encounters through avoidance, escape, and trickery. For a thief, the success or failure of a melee encounter is often determined by how it begins. Preparation is hugely important. Stealth skills often call for careful preparation to take advantage of specific circumstances, requiring you to plan ahead in order to make your abilities count.

Of course, AI is a big part of making stealth gameplay work. Tim has already created the basic groundwork of the system, which is following pretty closely the original Thief model: speed matters, light matters, and sound is also important. Many baseline beasties might react like the guards in Thief, but you never know if some of the other fantastic creatures in this world will be fooled by your skulking ways.

What aspects of stealth gameplay do you like most? Share with our devs and other fans on our forums.
More information.

The comic artstyle and the gritty stealth play don't go together well IMO. But I guess they did what they could given their budget.

The comic artstyle and the gritty stealth play don't go together well IMO. But I guess they did what they could given their budget.

I actually like the art direction. But we'll see. I'm looking forward to this one.

Back
Top Bottom