Avadon 3 - Officially Announced!

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Avadon 3 has officially been announced with a projected release date of 15th September. Check out the Steam page and Spiderweb Softwares own website for more info.

Avadon 3: The Warborn is the final chapter in the epic Avadon Trilogy. In this indie fantasy role-playing adventure, you will serve the keep of Avadon, working as a spy and warrior to fight the enemies of your homeland. As a servant of the Black Fortress, your word is law. Your homeland has been invaded by enemy hordes, burning cities and destroying your armies. Only you have a way to end this war and destroy the foe. Can you? Will you?

Avadon 3: The Warborn Features:

• Epic fantasy role-playing adventure in an enormous and unique world.
  • Intricate and open-ended storyline with plenty of replay value.
  • Many different endings. Will you save your people or betray them? Help others or grab power for yourself?
  • Five different character classes, with dozens of unique spells and abilities.
  • Dozens of side quests, dungeons, and secrets to discover.
  • Hundreds of magical items to find. Enchant your artifacts to make them even more powerful.
  • Huge adventure with lots of replay value.
  • Experience with earlier Avadon games isn't needed to enjoy Avadon 3.
Thanks to BrianOConnell for spotting this!

More information.

Can't wait to play it. :w00t:

From the trailer it looks like the Empire is invading after Avadon 2.

Are the avadon better or worse than his other active series ?

Personally I liked Avernum more.

Avadon is quite linear but the world is also written more interestingly.

And yeah…finally a game again which will be finished at release. ^^

Looks like he worked on the interface a bit and got some help with the trailer. The pseudo 3D art looks pretty neat.

Also if you check at 0:52 you can see that he finally overhauled the pathfinding AI. ^^ In addition it is shown now which path you will actually take.

Now I just hope he also overhauled the sound effects and background loops.

Edit: And another edit: Another change found is that the steam page actually shows steam trading cards! Whee! ^^

I've enjoyed the other Avadon games, and I expect to enjoy this one as well. They're the indie RPG equivalent of comfort food -- familiar, competently crafted, delivering exactly what is promised on the label.

Are the avadon better or worse than his other active series ?
There really aren't any other "active" series at this point… The Avadon games are the only new ones he's made since Avernum 6 came out, 7 years ago. Since then it's only Avadon and remakes of Avernum 1+2. It seems most everyone prefers Avernum to Avadon.

All you need to know is that it is a Spiderweb game......that alone makes it worth playing. Personally Avernum was my favourite but Avadon has grown on me, and I look forward to part three.

I loved the Avernum games, but I'm only half through the first Avadon. I will get this anyway soon after release. Spiderweb games are hate or love, but are more classic RPG than most new games.

Btw, you can get the whole Geneforge Saga (5 full games) at Groupees for a laughable 0.50$ atm:
https://groupees.com/the502

Avadon tends to be more Bioware-lite in terms of its companions, story and choices, but the setting, exploration and writing still make for a genuinely fun classic party and turn based RPG experience. I'll certainly be picking this up to continue the journey through the series. :)

Yes, ever since Vogel admitted he tries go more BioWare-style in his storytelling and design, the results (Avadon) simply had less depth and were IMO just less interesting. Not surprising, given that reference ;)

That said, even the worst Spiderweb games still offer much more depth than most other games in the genre and are well written.

Avadon 3 also is a certain buy for me, though I do hope that another Avernum or Geneforge will follow. Even if it's a slim hope ;)

I really enjoyed the original Avernums with their wacky and lighthearted tone. I don't think he knows how to make traditional epic fantasy work.

Trailer music and graphics are nice!

Avernum is infinitely better however, I feel. Avadon of course first received the New Graphics System, but is also more boring and causes little excitement. I played with the demo, but couldn't bring myself to continue after a couple minutes. Ave Avernum forever!

The first Avadon was my first Spiderweb game, and I couldn't stop playing it. The second one I found too much like the first. In the meantime I've played Geneforge 1 & 2 and Avernum 1 & 2. Personally I like Geneforge the best, because it has a great story, but also is a game with great exploration. I find the Avernum games a little story light and the Avadon games a little exploration light. I will definately play the third one, though.

Like most others here I like Avadon but not as much as Avernum and Geneforge. (I know I've said it before but it still bugs me every time, he couldn't come up for a name for the Avadon series that didn't start with "Av" like one of his other main series?! Just a pet peeve of mine)

I hope the balance is better for Avadon 3. Avadon 2 was the earliest in a game I have ever hit the level cap, about 60% of the way through. Almost made me not finish.

I'm just happy to see him creating a new game, rather then remaking Avernum 3 for the 3rd time (though I have no doubt that's coming too). As others have said, exploration was a strength of Avernum and a weakness of Avadon. But I liked the combat/character system and the story better in Avadon, with a few notable exceptions.

I'd be happier if he created a new property, but I doubt that's happening anytime soon.

Jeff Vogel is keeping the dream of traditional, "real" RPGs alive. I will support this when it drops and probably buy the mobile version. The mobile version of Avernum is *really* good and I highly recommmend it. Love this guy!

Back
Top Bottom