Divinity: Original Sin II - Mechanics Explained

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Swen delivers an in-depth explanation of the new mechanics and there is a new kickstarter update #24.

What the PAXers saw:
New combat mechanics, including ultra-powerful Source skills powered by Source Points-- which you can obtain through fair or truly foul means.
Height gameplay, including added damage and range bonuses when attacking from on high (flying Margaret, anyone?).
New surface interactions in which you can Bless and Curse existing surfaces in order to help or hurt your fellow combatants.
A brand new armor system featuring Magical and Physical armor.
PAX-East-Screenshot-8-5x11-2016-v4-FA.jpg

Pick a skill tree: We have a winner!

You guys voted, and the results are in: Divinity: Original Sin 2 will feature a Summoning Master skill tree! These skills will allow you to call to convene help-- mundane and otherworldly-- in battle.

Here are the results:

- Summoning Master - 1709 votes
- Bard - 1285 votes
- Alchemist - 557 votes
- Unarmed Combatant - 433 votes
- Guardian - 413 votes
- Juggernaut - 408 votes
- Trap Master - 197 votes
More information.

I'd have liked them to do a bard well. Ah well, maybe in D:OS3.
13th Age has my favorite bard iteration in pnp. I think a lot of people are put off bards because they have been done badly so often. They were not good in 2nd and 3rd edition dnd.

It's crazy that Juggernaut didn't won here. What's wrong with you people? :p

Think about it this way: At least Juggernaut was more popular than Trap Master....

If they do D:OS 10 and run out of (better) ideas, Juggernaut will be a reality....

True, summoners are typically cowards, letting someone else do the fighting. Archers, mages and rogues to some extent.
Bards are mostly gay. :p

Pretty sure I voted for Bard...but I voted drunk so it could have been alchemist.

Summoner would have been third choice, oh well. I wonder if the mod tools will make new skill trees possible.

Well, personally, I would have liked to see rather a bard :p , but I must admit that summoning has already a good tradition within the Divinity universe (Beyond Divinity).

Never cared for mage-types myself, and summoners are the worse of the lot. I myself voted for bards, at least they bring something to the party.

I voted for summoner. Bards are kind of boring. They are usually just buff bots. OK, you could argue that summoners are just tank bots but depending on what critters you can summon, you at least have something funny to look at while fighting ;) .

Eh, summoners always feel like a clumsy class...if it works, you're exploiting dumb AI, if not, it's almost useless or requires little thinking.
Still, with Sven's enthusiasm, miracles can happen!

Summoners provide a lot more tactical options. To me they're useful even with good AI. If they're not working for you then maybe you're not using them right?

I love summoners, so these are pretty great news to me. I hope it'll be possible to play an elemental summoner without having to rely on undeads/demons.

These skills will allow you to call to convene help-- mundane and otherworldly-- in battle
Really wonder how this will work. Any info on this?

Pretty neat additions! My dad and I loved the first game in co-op, so really looking forward to this one, too! :)

I love summoners, so these are pretty great news to me. I hope it'll be possible to play an elemental summoner without having to rely on undeads/demons.

Really wonder how this will work. Any info on this?

The first Original Sin had the following summon types: 4 elemental, undead warrior, spider, wolf and slug.

I suspect they are just going to pick all those and put them in their own skill line...

Back
Top Bottom