Witcher 3 - New User Interface

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Witcher 3 gets a new UI alongside the release of Blood and Wine - Gamepressure has some comparison screenshots.

The Witcher 3 to get a new interface alongside the release of Blood and Wine – check out the comparison images

With the release of the Blood and Wine expansion on May 31 comes a new update for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It will bring, among other things, many changes to the user interface. CD Projekt RED has provided us with some comparison screenshots.

[...]

1. When you pick up a new document (e.g. a book), you can read it immediately. You don’t need to search for it manually in the inventory any longer;

2. Switching Signs with the quick access menu on consoles is now easier – all you have to do is tilt the analog stick towards the symbol of the Sign you wish to select and then release it (there’s no need to confirm the choice with another button);

3. The map screen was provided with additional markers and filters.
More information.

1. Awsome!

2. Errr... Sorry I didn't study egyptian hieroglyphs.

3. It's Christmas!

Fantastic article thank you!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm perhaps bizarrely over-interested in UI upgrades in games and rarely are there articles that focus on an upcoming patch focusing solely on the UI improvements.

I long for a day where a game retains its complexity but offers a UI where I no longer have to refer to hand written notes or the internet in order to make decisions.

You mean superb UIs like this (it's missing first 4 keys on the pic that are arrows on keyboard):
Final-Fantasy-X-overdrive.jpg

No, it's not 1 minute and something. It's a second and something left to press in correct order.
:p

I wonder if they will actually make a proper PC interface ?

I can understand The Witcher game not being your cup of tea, though there was zero things wrong with the interface.

I can understand The Witcher game not being your cup of tea, though there was zero things wrong with the interface.

Imho Witcher 3 has a proper PC UI. But I can think of a number of ways it could be improved. Some of the improvements mentioned in this article are similar to things I've thought of while playing.

Imho Witcher 3 has a proper PC UI. But I can think of a number of ways it could be improved. Some of the improvements mentioned in this article are similar to things I've thought of while playing.

I guess I was referring to these comments:
I wonder if they will actually make a proper PC interface ?

More than saying it was the perfect interface as nothing is perfect but in no means was it some crappy console port.

I thought witcher 1 had the perfect pc interface; 2 and 3 were passable but hardly as good as witcher 1.

Which may have to do with the fact that the change of indirect to direct combat generally suits gamepads more than m+k. Look at the changes from DAO to DA2 for cross checking.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry I had absolutely no problems with m+k in any The Witcher game.
What can't be said about pisspoor ports from Square Enix and whomever is Neptunia's publisher. Microsoft should "patch" operating system in some way that backspace cannot ever be used in games.
Meanwhile Sega made superb port of Valkyria Chronicles that feels like it was originally designed with PC in mind although it was not really. Not sure how does that game play with mushrooms (I bet on autoaim for those who's reflexes suck).

Yea I thought Valkyrie was fanstic (both as a game and interface). Pity it is one of a kind.

With regards to sir_brennus - hog wash. I played lots of direct combat style games with good interfaces. The probelm is they designed the game around a controller and then applied odd pc interface on top. Witcher 1 was designed around a pc from ground up.

Back
Top Bottom