RPGWatch Feature - Bard's Tale IV Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Fluent reached out to InXile to learn more about The Bard's Tale IV and came back with an interview with Systems Designer David Rogers, with Brian Fargo answering the first question.

RPGWatch: Since you've announced that the game will feature 30 (or more?) levels, many people are excited. Will every level be a unique dungeon to explore, or will some styles of dungeons be re-used?

David: I think it goes without saying that if two dungeons are identical, we've done something wrong. The similarities between dungeons can largely be drawn down cultural lines. The style of architecture, puzzles, and traps used by the elves may be common amongst Elven or Ficti dungeons, but share little in common with the dungeons of the Charn or Dwarves. However, no two dungeons of the same culture should be combining their cultural elements together in exactly the same way.

The dungeons in the main quest line in particular are given extra care, with a focus on giving each cool set pieces and memorable design.

RPGWatch: Combat is a very important factor in a good dungeon-crawl RPG. How do you plan on managing things such as re-spawn rate, random encounters and general encounter design inside a dungeon?

David: While epic boss battles against giant monsters will still exist, Combat in The Bard's Tale IV is focused on group vs. group combat. This allows us to build enemies with really distinct capabilities and then combine them with other enemies to create something that feels like a wholly unique challenge to overcome.

For the most part, we still haven't fully decided on how we want to manage enemy respawning, or the lack thereof, but we have a lot of ideas. This is a great question, but I don't think it's one I can give a satisfying answer to right now as we're still iterating.
More information.

Thanks Fluent for getting in touch with InXile.

My pleasure! 😁

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Good interview - can't wait to play a true Bard's Tale again...

Thanks for the interview Fluent. I even linked it on our Google Group.:highfive:
Good interview - can't wait to play a true Bard's Tale again…
I only played the latest Bard's Tale which most hate, but I also like what I see so far.

Will likely be my first Bard's Tale game. 😃

Nice. Thanks, Couch! 😃

Yes, it's a blobber.

Nice interview, Fluent! I'm glad I backed this game! :)

I'm excited for many reasons. I love first-person dungeon-crawlers, and this game is going to feature some "hardcore" options as optional features tailor-made to each player's preferences. I'm hoping more RPGs going forward do this.

Plus, it's going to be really pretty to look at! Someone got the brilliant idea that since it's a first-person dungeon-crawler with limited visuals in general, you can push a lot of horsepower into those limited visuals! I dig that. :)

henriquejr - 500 posts now - on your way to 1000... :)

I backed this, cannot wait.

Damn.....still gotta factor in time to replay the first three again at some point. WTB more time!!! Now, where did I store those old maps......

I'm waiting on Bards Tale remastered for my first playthrough of the series. I want to play the optimum versions.

I managed to get my hands on a version of eob1 & 2 that has an in-game map included plus has the ending slide for eob1. So much better an experience than when I originally played them.

A little bit more familiarity with the original source material would have been nice in perhaps guiding the questions but still, a decent little interview. Thanks Fluent.
The "RPGWatch exclusive" question was amusing. Nice try. ;)
Plus it is always great to hear more elaboration on all things Bards' Tale. :) I certainly can't wait!

Thanks, Fluent. BTIV is my most anticipated game!

That sense of creative expression also emerges from the solutions you are able to can enact while exploring a dungeon in a pen-and-paper RPG. Simple moments such as disarming a trap or climbing a ledge can be rife with opportunities to make you feel like MacGyver, particularly when you have to improvise. That kind of creative problem solving is something we strive to incorporate into our dungeon crawling. Free form problem solving is something that PnP RPGs excel at, and can be very hard for video games to replicate, but they act as a holy grail we can strive for. We want players to walk out of dungeons with a story to tell, where they feel like the star and not just a spectator.

It's great that, after unambitious romps like LoG and MMX, there will be a full-blown dungeon crawling RPG again.

A little bit more familiarity with the original source material would have been nice in perhaps guiding the questions but still, a decent little interview. Thanks Fluent.

Nah, there are plenty of oldtimers on their own forums bugging them with questions about 99 Berserkers. We don't wanna go there, do we? :D

I never played first 3 BTs but I am excited to play this one. I also backed it on KS.

Back
Top Bottom