Expeditions: Viking - Delayed; New Features

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Expeditions: Viking has been delayed, but has picked up some new features in the process.

Logic Artists' Expeditions: Viking title is being delayed into next year, but fans of the historical RPG will also get something for their trouble.

The PC title now has a tentative launch window of February 2017, changed from this fall.

However, the studio says it's adding environmental hazards into the game. These are objects in the environment (placed before or during combat) that players will have to considering when resolving their tactics on the battle field. The developer says it also wants to support English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, and Polish when the game comes out, as well as add more random encounters and side quests.

For more on the game, check out these hands-on impressions as well as a dev diary talking about the game's combat and character creation.

Our Take
Given how it sounds like there are plenty of choices already in the game, the choice to spend more time on development – as well as add more tactical options and quests – seems like a great move.
More information.

Basically, they delayed the game to include cut out content on day1, stuff other developers sell through months waiting on DLC.

Thumb up from me, I'll play this game on the release day and nothing can stop me.
I mean, apparently alien invasion is not expected yet.

But it's pretty been a pretty weak year for CRPGs.

What do you mean by that?
If you mean there is no GOTY RPG material, I'll agree, but then again, there is no GOTY probable contender in any genre so far. All out there so far is decent singleplayer games and lack of content overrated/overhyped/overexpensive multiplayers. And 10 hours max to finish, empty your HDD prior to installation, Doom.

Luckily, DX4 is close.

Damn, the one game I was still hoping might actually get released this year is officially delayed. Of course it's better that they take the time they need to polish it.

But it's pretty been a pretty weak year for CRPGs. There's potentially lots of stuff to look forward to next year.

I agree with Joxer. There have been a lot of good rpgs released this year, just not great ones . Personally I thought Grim Dawn, Siege of Dragonspear, and from what I've played of Stranger of Sword City, are all pretty good. I haven't gotten to Balrum or Stardew Valley yet, but from what I've heard, I'm expecting them to be good games too. I'd still say its a pretty good year as they compared to 2013, or many of the years before that.

I agree with Joxer. There have been a lot of good rpgs released this year, just not great ones . Personally I thought Grim Dawn, Siege of Dragonspear, and from what I've played of Stranger of Sword City, are all pretty good. I haven't gotten to Balrum or Stardew Valley yet, but from what I've heard, I'm expecting them to be good games too. I'd still say its a pretty good year as they compared to 2013, or many of the years before that.
Grim Dawn is not a kind of rpg he is talking about.
Stardew Valley is not a rpg at all.
Balrum is barely a rpg as you probably spend more time doing farming and shit instead of standard RPG stuff.
SoD is not great yea.

I also had high hopes for this game, I am sad it needed to be delayed but oh well.

Hopefully new Deus Ex is awesome.

Damn, the one game I was still hoping might actually get released this year is officially delayed. Of course it's better that they take the time they need to polish it.

But it's pretty been a pretty weak year for CRPGs. There's potentially lots of stuff to look forward to next year.
There is BT4 missing on that list. Inxile has two developer teams now so BT4 does not need to wait for TToN to finish so they can start developing it.

Looking forward to Avadon 3 which will definitely release this year as Spiderweb never misses a release date as it seems.

Another title for this year is Dvinity OS 2, which is scheduled for December. Wouldn't surprise me if its postponed to 2017 as well.

Well what do you know another game gets delayed to 2017. As others have said already the rest of this year has no major RPG release at all except the new Deus Ex.

Oh well time to shorten my backlog and wait for Avadon 3 to get released.
Another title for this year is Dvinity OS 2, which is scheduled for December. Wouldn't surprise me if its postponed to 2017 as well.
I agree it's just a matter of time till the next kickstarter update with the news.

Looking forward to Avadon 3 which will definitely release this year as Spiderweb never misses a release date as it seems.

If DOS 2 comes out this year, that alone is likely enough to redeem the year in my eyes. Who knows, maybe Tyranny turns out decent, too. As already mentioned, you have Avadon 3, and also DX4 which will presumably be a good pseudo-RPG. The South Park sequel ("Fractured But Whole") is looking pretty good too, much better combat system than the original, and is supposed to be out this year.

What do you mean by that?
If you mean there is no GOTY RPG material, I'll agree, but then again, there is no GOTY probable contender in any genre so far. All out there so far is decent singleplayer games and lack of content overrated/overhyped/overexpensive multiplayers. And 10 hours max to finish, empty your HDD prior to installation, Doom.

Luckily, DX4 is close.

Definitely no GOTY material this year… But not even any RPG that I've felt was worth buying. Only CRPG I'm really interested in that might actually come out this year is "No Truce With the Furies".

DX is something I'm mildly interesting but I'm not even sure it should be considered an RPG. DX:HR was stealth / action / adventure games with light RPG elements. And a bit of Mass Effect style dialogue (albeit done slightly better than Mass Effect). If that's an RPG, then so are the Batman Arkham games.

It's just 2015 seemed to offer something for everyone... Age of Decadence and Underrail for the hardcore / old school CRPG fans. Shadowrun: Hong Kong for a CRPG that is a bit easier / more streamlined but still has a good story, interesting characters, and setting. Witcher 3 for action RPG fans who still want a strong story. PoE for people who like... clusterfucks.

Last edited:
DX:HR was stealth/RPG hybrid. No adventure (although finding codes instead of hacking skill and minigame could qualify as adventure mechanics). Had shooter elements.
Still, you choose if you'll kill or not, you choose if you'll save your pilot or not, etc.

The only questionable thing in DX4 is season pass.
DX:HR has DLC. It was a separate and standalone mission. By doing it, you don't get benefits to break the main game with. It was DLC done right!
Currently there is no word if DX:MD will go this route and keep DLC separate from the main game.

Batman Arkham games cannot ever be RPG.

2015. was great year, lemme see what you mentioned and comment it… :evilgrin:
- Age of Decadence for different runthrough and replayability
- Underrail / Timelapse Vertigo for hardcore fans and against graphic whores
- Shadowrun for phonegames lovers
- The Witcher 3 as proof you don't need $500 million to make a masterpiece
- Eternity for all of us who never got BG3/IWD3
- Fallout4 redeemed it's developer for all of us who were utterly disappointed with FO3

Wait you didn't mention that last one…

Grim Dawn is not a kind of rpg he is talking about.
Stardew Valley is not a rpg at all.
Balrum is barely a rpg as you probably spend more time doing farming and shit instead of standard RPG stuff.
SoD is not great yea.

I also had high hopes for this game, I am sad it needed to be delayed but oh well.

Hopefully new Deus Ex is awesome.

You might not consider Stardew Valley or Balrum RPGs, but I've never seen them classified as anything else. But, I will agree they may not be a standard rpg, however if Expeditions:Vikings is anything like its predecessor, it won't be a standard crpg either.

You might not consider Stardew Valley or Balrum RPGs, but I've never seen them classified as anything else. But, I will agree they may not be a standard rpg, however if expeditions:vikings is anything like its predecessor, it won't be a standard crpg either.

Couldn't Stardew Valley be classified as a (farm / life ) sim game? Haven't actually played it so I'm assuming based on the comparisons I've seen to Harvest Moon. HM is sometimes called an RPG, but I think sim would be a more appropriate genre classification.

You might not consider Stardew Valley or Balrum RPGs, but I've never seen them classified as anything else. But, I will agree they may not be a standard rpg, however if Expeditions:Vikings is anything like its predecessor, it won't be a standard crpg either.

I think they said E:V will be more RPG. And even old version was way more RPG than Stardew Valley.
Stardew Valley not even close to a RPG.

Another game coming to my mind is Vision. An advertising game by a German Bank called LBS. It was an adventure game, where you also had money, where you needed to eat, work, and where you moved like in a dungeon crawler.
It had no combat though and no character stats. So if this is what makes an RPG an RPG, it wasn't one.
Was a great game btw. ^^

Couldn't Stardew Valley be classified as a (farm / life ) sim game? Haven't actually played it so I'm assuming based on the comparisons I've seen to Harvest Moon. HM is sometimes called an RPG, but I think sim would be a more appropriate genre classification.

Well, I picked it up and will get to it probably sometime in the next 2 months. I'm curious if I'll think its an rpg. A lot of rpg players on this site seem to like it though, and everywhere I've seen it reviewed its been called an rpg.

Well, I picked it up and will get to it probably sometime in the next 2 months. I'm curious if I'll think its an rpg. A lot of rpg players on this site seem to like it though, and everywhere I've seen it reviewed its been called an rpg.
It's more of a life & farming simulator with added RPG elements. Just take a look at Harvest Moon and all the various clones from other developers on handhelds.

It's more of a life & farming simulator with added RPG elements. Just take a look at Harvest Moon and all the various clones from other developers on handhelds.

I have neither a console nor a proper handheld (I do have a smartphone, but don't really play games on it.) So it will be my first game of the genre.

Back
Top Bottom